JW Marriott Bonnet Creek or Grande lakes?

Jabbas

Original Poster
Hi all,

Doing a getaway trip (no kids). I’m a Marriott member but have never stayed at these hotels. Disney aside, which one is better? We won’t be doing the park so that isn’t a factor but I heard the new one is super nice. Whole trip will be comped by points so price isn’t a factor either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lilofan

Stayed at Grande Lakes Orlando . The class of service and amenities is first class. GL is about 5 min from Sea World.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Swimming pool is the difference. Grande Lakes has a lazy river, Bonnet Creek does not.

I haven't stayed at Bonnet Creek, so I can't speak to their service. Grande Lakes turned over their front desk staff during Covid, and the inexperience shows. However, they retained their bell services staff and their level of service remains at pre-2020 levels.

I would not recommend staying at Grande Lakes (either JW or Ritz) on a holiday weekend. They book to overflowing on holidays and the hotels feel (and are) very crowded for those weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day).

Jabbas

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, we decided to go with Grande Lakes. The restaurants seemed more reasonable in price, and you can’t beat that lazy river.

Snake

Bonnet Creek has a very stuffy, stiff feeling about it. I always felt under dressed, like I was walking into business retreat or something. We've been staying at Grande Lakes since it opened, it is a completely different experience. I would suggest taking a look at Bonnet Creek while you are staying at Grande Lakes. I was not very impress with Bonnet Creek. Grande Lakes might have the best pool on the eastern sea board.

Lilofan

Bonnet Creek has a very stuffy, stiff feeling about it. I always felt under dressed, like I was walking into business retreat or something. We've been staying at Grande Lakes since it opened, it is a completely different experience. I would suggest taking a look at Bonnet Creek while you are staying at Grande Lakes. I was not very impress with Bonnet Creek. Grande Lakes might have the best pool on the eastern sea board.
Kudos to Orlando Grande Lakes. It is the premier Central FL resort destination. We've stayed there and it is first class.

Sans Souci

I've booked Bonnet Creek for the end of January. I'm disappointed to read that this a stuffy place. I chose it because it looked like it would be good for an adult trip and I liked that it was on the smaller side for a Disney-area hotel. Was it the staff who made you feel uncomfortable or other guests? I am only going for a long weekend, so I don't want spend a lot of time driving back and forth from Grande Lakes. Now I am wondering if I should book elsewhere.

Benjamin_Nicholas

I've booked Bonnet Creek for the end of January. I'm disappointed to read that this a stuffy place. I chose it because it looked like it would be good for an adult trip and I liked that it was on the smaller side for a Disney-area hotel. Was it the staff who made you feel uncomfortable or other guests? I am only going for a long weekend, so I don't want spend a lot of time driving back and forth from Grande Lakes. Now I am wondering if I should book elsewhere.

You're taking one person's opinion on this.

Relax. Figure it out for yourself.

Or pack a cocktail dress and heels in case of emergency.

Benjamin_Nicholas

If you think BC is stuffy, you'd absolutely die at 4S.

DISR

If you think BC is stuffy, you'd absolutely die at 4S.
I really like nice/luxurious places, but I detest stuffy/pretentious. I felt like 4S was great. Yes, I dressed a little nicer for Capa than I would have for most Disney restaurants...casual slacks and closed toed shoes, but it certainly was not black tie. In general, one of the reasons I like everything in the Disney area, is that no matter how hard you try, it is difficult to make things too stuffy. Kids and kids at heart just don't mesh with that atmosphere. I haven't tried Bonnet Creek, but I can't imagine it is really like that different. Of course these types of judgements are pretty subjective.

tpoly88

Hi all,

Doing a getaway trip (no kids). I’m a Marriott member but have never stayed at these hotels. Disney aside, which one is better? We won’t be doing the park so that isn’t a factor but I heard the new one is super nice. Whole trip will be comped by points so price isn’t a factor either. Any suggestions? Thanks!
been to GL and its very nice but away from anything disney. bonnet creek, even though your not doing the park, its close to Disney Springs and possible restaurants at other hotels. ive only stayed at the Waldorf there and it was really nice as well as the whole bonnet creek area.

ArmoredRodent

Not exactly on point with your Marriott question, but "fancy" does not always mean "stuffy." For example, years ago we had a wonderful ten-day stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress resort, which could easily have been considered "stuffy" for its price level and fancy events. But even there, Disney attire was not only acceptable, but expected. In their high-end dining room, the Sunday brunch included harpist Christine McPhail (IIRC), whose playing was awesome; we were in shorts and tees. No one gave us "side eyes," the staff was attentive, and Christine came by to ask us if we had any requests (and the food was awesome). She had a full selection of Disney classics and popular songs. As I usually do, I agree with resident expert Benjamin Nicholas:
Relax. Figure it out for yourself.
Back to your question: if you have concerns about "stuffy," most review search engines have a search box. Just enter the word "stuffy" and see what comes up. Neither BC nor GL has a lot of comments about "stuffy" except for a few that say it's NOT stuffy. And GL has more than 4,000 reviews.

tpoly88

I really like nice/luxurious places, but I detest stuffy/pretentious. I felt like 4S was great. Yes, I dressed a little nicer for Capa than I would have for most Disney restaurants...casual slacks and closed toed shoes, but it certainly was not black tie. In general, one of the reasons I like everything in the Disney area, is that no matter how hard you try, it is difficult to make things too stuffy. Kids and kids at heart just don't mesh with that atmosphere. I haven't tried Bonnet Creek, but I can't imagine it is really like that different. Of course these types of judgements are pretty subjective.
Im not sure what you consider stuff/pretentious. if you walking into the restaurant with a pair of running shorts, a muscle shirt and a baseball cap for dinner (this is ok for breakfast as ive done it after working out), yes you are going to get looks as your very under-dressed. That's not stuffy, that's just being not dressed for the type of restaurant. Every place of there in BC, GL and the 4S if your in Bermuda shorts and a polo your fine for dinner anywhere. i found the restaurants at GL very good and the BC Waldorf too. Stuffy is pulling up in a Mercedes and because its a C Class and not a S class or Maybach and getting looks. been there... Go to the Hamptons during the summer or the most stuffy pretentious place on earth St Barths. Im ranting sorry, bottom line i think any of the hotels mentioned are very nice and they all have their strengths and weakness like any other hotel. I hope you enjoy your trip very much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom