Trip Report Jut on in! 40-year-old Best Friends' POFQ Trip, June 2019 *COMPLETED*

Hello, all!! Just got back yesterday from the World (but WHY?! is the trip over already?! I will never understand...), and I'm ready to begin our Trip Report!!

For those of you who want a refresher, or who didn't see it, HERE is our Pre-Trip report, but to summarize:

WHO: My best friend P (just turned 40 in May), and me- Amber (40). P and I went to HS together, 1 year apart, but weren't friends. We became friends when we worked together at my college bookstore in the summers after graduation. In 2001, while working at the bookstore, P (who had been to WDW several times as a child) and I (never had been) planned a trip, along with another friend of P's. This was my first trip, and I was hooked!! From then on I became the Disney expert in our friendship as the years went on and altogether before this trip, she and I (with varying combinations of friends and family members as well) went to the World 5 times (though a couple of these were just 1 day visits). We hadn't been for a full week since 2006, so we figured our 40th birthday year was time to rectify this.

This is P and I in November 2018, as she and her wife, and my husband and I happened to be in the World at the same time and met up for a few minutes:

WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter! I've always loved the look and smallness of this resort, but had not ever stayed here, as it isn't one my husband really ever wants to stay at. So I figured this was a good opportunity to stay there. I really loved our resort!

WHEN: Saturday, June 15th- Saturday, June 22nd. I was really excited to be going for a full week!

Hope you'll join me!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
One of my goals for the day was to finally see the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere version of the Great Moments in History by the Muppets. We came upon Liberty Square just as one had ended, so I asked the CM which it was, and he said it was the Declaration, and told me that they usually alternate. Yay! So we shopped in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe for a bit (LOOOOOVE that smell!) and then hung out on the stone wall around the Liberty Tree.

Liberty Square--if you twisted my arm--would be what I'd call my favorite section of MK. I put my longer lens on my camera, and enjoyed the time in the shade (it was very very hot) shooting some pics from our spot.

We were rewarded very soon after! Finally- the Paul Revere sequence (spoiler: after all of that, I like the Declaration one better, but I had to see it)

Everyone's favorite distinctly patriotic eagle!

After the show, we had a little bit of time before our ADR, and we were still hot though we were in the shade, so it was time for an inside attraction. Philharmagic!! When we left there, we worked our way back to Liberty Square for lunch, this is what the sky looked like. Uh-oh...

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Our lunch today was another favorite of mine- Liberty Tree Tavern.

As soon as we sat down at our little corner table, it started absolutely pouring, blowing and hitting the windows. We were glad to be inside for sure!

Our original plan was to get the Patriot's Platter with all of the meats and sides. But P felt like all she would eat is the meat, while I just wanted turkey and sides so we decided we would each be better off with the Pilgrim's Feast, and I just ordered a side of mac and cheese as well. I also asked for- and received- a bowl of salad. I was perfectly satisfied with this meal, and everything was delicious!

I did not finish everything this time, though I came close!

We split the ooey gooey toffee cake- yum! I could go for this dessert right now...

After lunch, P went up to the restroom, and took this lovely shot of me from above. I believe it was still drizzling out.

Full, it was time for our midday break, so we walked to the bus stop. Some monorail pics:

We waited there for around 15 minutes, but I was entertained by this duck. I couldn't tell if it only had one leg, or was just standing on one leg. When the bus did pull up, it slowed down to allow it to move out of the way, but it took it's sweet time. Actually, the driver that was switching with the one pulling in had to shoo it out of the way. Turns out it had two legs.

PolynesianPrincess

Joining in!
I stayed at POFQ for the first time in 2014 and LOVED it!! We're trying to hit all the resorts so we haven't been back yet but hopefully soon! I love how picturesque and compact it is!
50s and Liberty Tree are two of my FAVORITE meals in WDW. The pot roast at both place is to die for! I usually get the sampler at 50s because its hard to just pick one thing. They're all so good!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Joining in!
I stayed at POFQ for the first time in 2014 and LOVED it!! We're trying to hit all the resorts so we haven't been back yet but hopefully soon! I love how picturesque and compact it is!
50s and Liberty Tree are two of my FAVORITE meals in WDW. The pot roast at both place is to die for! I usually get the sampler at 50s because its hard to just pick one thing. They're all so good!!
Welcome!

I adored POFQ, but love that you're trying to hit all of the resorts; we're trying to do that too but mostly with the deluxes. I loved that we were so close to everything.

Yes, both have such good pot roast and had P wanted to do the all-you-care-to-eat at LTT I would have had some, but since I'd had beef at Raglan Road a few nights before, and then at 50s (where there is no other option for me-only the pot roast) I figured I should have some light meat. Plus I was really craving turkey. LTT has really become a favorite.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like such a fun trip! My friend and I took a Florida/WDW trip to celebrate our 40th as well, such good memories.

It was a super fun trip! I highly recommend milestone birthday Disney trips!
I turn 40 in 2021 and I'm already planning what to do for my birthday at WDW and their 50th celebration. I'm impatiently waiting for Galaxy's Edge to open because I hope that Disney will start releasing more info on their 50th soon.
I know, I want to know all of the things about the 50th!! I could take or leave Galaxy's Edge, really.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After our recharge (aka nap), we decided to scoot on over to Port Orleans- Riverside for a visit. P hadn't ever been, and I wanted to see it again. Had it been nice out, we probably would have walked or boated (the boats weren't operating), but since it was rainy, we chose the internal bus.

Earlier in the week, we'd even discussed a carriage ride, but I think the rain sort of dampened our excitement for that idea (plus I don't even know if they do them in the rain?) so we just walked around the main building and the pool areas.

Of course, it stopped raining when we got there, for a little bit anyway.

Riverside is a very picturesque resort for sure. Years ago, I really wanted to stay here (over FQ especially) because I still lived in the north, and thought it was charming. Now that I live in the south, it's not all that different to me I guess.

I mean, if you don't take pictures of the water wheel, were you even at Riverside?

As always, the details are what I love most

After looking around the resort a little bit, it was time to go back to MK!

We boarded the bus behind a family of 4 at the main POR bus stop that was standing room only. No big deal, we were rested and ok with standing. The family stopped right at the very front of the bus. I had to say "excuse us" really loudly for them to even part so that we could get through, and if I recall correctly, there were some more people behind us, too. They let everyone through then, and remained at the front, which I found rather rude.

Back to my happy place...albeit a drizzly one. Yes the rain started again a bit.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
On our way up Main Street, we saw a family hanging out against a store front with Target plastic bags on their heads...I guess that's ingenuity.. or something.

All of these ducks were just laying down enjoying the rain.

Except this guy, who walked right up to the fence where we were.

Toward Adventureland we go!

It was time to do one of my very favorite things in MK- Swiss Family Treehouse! P opted out of this experience...

I mentioned in another thread recently, how this movie more than any others, and thus this attraction take me instantly back to my childhood in the early 80s. My Dad would always stop at the video store and get a classic Disney movie for us to watch, which we got to do while eating mini pizzas in the livingroom (usually we were not allowed) on lapdesks. Movies like Pollyanna, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Escape from Witch Mountain, The Love Bug, Blackbeard's Ghost, Old Yeller...and Swiss Family Robinson. We wanted to live in their treehouse, so this is stepping right into my childhood.

I really think that Disney should just let me live in the Treehouse. I mean, look at that view!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
When I returned to the ground after climbing Swiss Family Treehouse, this is what I spied:

We shopped through Agrabah (I have a nephew who is a huge live Aladdin fan, so we picked him up some things), and then I *think* this is when we went over to Space Mountain? I can't recall the order, but one of our FP earlier in the day was for BTMRR, which because of the rain, turned into an all-experience one. P was getting braver and braver!!

Then P wanted to explore the area back by Dumbo and Barnstormer. Just as we entered the area, the skies opened again. We dashed for the enclosed area in front of the restrooms there. We were among the first people in there, and a couple came in after us. A woman with a big stroller rammed her way in there, banging into the woman in the couple's leg. This woman said "excuse me, you've run into my leg!" and the woman with the stroller (two kids inside) lost.it. "YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO BE STARTING WITH ME, I'll GO WHERE I PLEASE, DON'T RAISE YOUR VOICE TO ME" and the other woman said "nice way to be acting in front of your children" and the crazy lady said "DON'T BE JUDGING ME, TRUST ME YOU'll GO TO JAIL WHEN I'M DONE WITH YOU (?)" etc.

We quickly donned our ponchos and beelined out of there. It was still pouring but we were not about to spend what would turn out to be quite some time in that enclosed space with this person. The nearest place was the Big Top shop (I think that's what it's called).

This was the scene in there. Literally people sitting all around the perimeter. We tried to shop around, but it was next to impossible.

We probably stayed in there for 20 minutes or so, until it was close enough to our ADR time for us to scoot over to BOG.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We checked in, and waited a few moments in the waiting area inside, before being shown to our table in the Ballroom.

Decisions, decisions...

I went, of course, with the French Onion soup for a starter-

P got the spiced tuna. She said it was decent, but not the best she's had.

I chose the Filet Mignon-- so good!! I was pleased with my choice.

P got the lamb chops and she raved about them, said they were delicious. I mean:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Dessert time! Dessert is a trio-a white chocolate "Chip cup" with gray stuff, a macaron with raspberries, and a truffle. I didn't have the truffle, and I don't care for white chocolate. But I love me some gray stuff (though I will say this didn't seem to have as strong a flavor as it did years ago?), and the macaron was very tasty.

Then it was time to meet the Master. We thanked him for the meal!

We were not done yet!! We had more fun in store for MK at night!! Stay tuned! I will update more tomorrow.

Happy 4th everyone!

riverside

Your fireworks pictures are really cool!! I'm trying to figure out if we were close to each other that day. We arrived at Riverside early that afternoon & were stuck there for a bit b/c of the rain. We ate at BOG also but our reservation was at 5:40.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Your fireworks pictures are really cool!! I'm trying to figure out if we were close to each other that day. We arrived at Riverside early that afternoon & were stuck there for a bit b/c of the rain. We ate at BOG also but our reservation was at 5:40.
I think we arrived back at MK from our resort break around the time you were eating at BOG, and then our BOG was at 7:30.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Seeing as we were in the area, Splash had very little wait. P was nervous about this one, because of the drop. But hey, she conquered ToT, so she was game! She did ask me to give her the play-by-play so she knew where drops were and when the big one was.

She did great! Despite her reaction in the picture, she said the drop didn't really "catch her tummy" so she was fine.

I always like this little area at nighttime...

Oops, looking at pictures now, THIS is when we went to Tomorrowland to use our all-exp FP for Space (sorry, some of my pics are from my camera, and some are from my phone). But first, some pics of the castle:

Y'all, that walk to the exit is long!

After yet another fun and successful day, it was back to the resort after this! Next up, our rest day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom