Trip Report Jut on in! 40-year-old Best Friends' POFQ Trip, June 2019 *COMPLETED*

Hello, all!! Just got back yesterday from the World (but WHY?! is the trip over already?! I will never understand...), and I'm ready to begin our Trip Report!!

For those of you who want a refresher, or who didn't see it, HERE is our Pre-Trip report, but to summarize:

WHO: My best friend P (just turned 40 in May), and me- Amber (40). P and I went to HS together, 1 year apart, but weren't friends. We became friends when we worked together at my college bookstore in the summers after graduation. In 2001, while working at the bookstore, P (who had been to WDW several times as a child) and I (never had been) planned a trip, along with another friend of P's. This was my first trip, and I was hooked!! From then on I became the Disney expert in our friendship as the years went on and altogether before this trip, she and I (with varying combinations of friends and family members as well) went to the World 5 times (though a couple of these were just 1 day visits). We hadn't been for a full week since 2006, so we figured our 40th birthday year was time to rectify this.

This is P and I in November 2018, as she and her wife, and my husband and I happened to be in the World at the same time and met up for a few minutes:

WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter! I've always loved the look and smallness of this resort, but had not ever stayed here, as it isn't one my husband really ever wants to stay at. So I figured this was a good opportunity to stay there. I really loved our resort!

WHEN: Saturday, June 15th- Saturday, June 22nd. I was really excited to be going for a full week!

Hope you'll join me!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The guy was in the jail cell in the queue, yelling things out to people passing by. He was calling for his shipmates, and I told him "they left you", and he said "I know what happened, missy".

And then the live actor in the ride...I mean I guess it was kind of neat? I don't know that it added a lot to it, really.

Next up, Splash! We were LITERALLY the only people there, other than CMs of course. He said "take your pick", and we had a log to ourselves! Sweet! Since P was now a pro, I made her sit in her own seat.

As funny as our ride photo is, don't go thinking it's the funniest of the night...

Not visible is the wait time of 13 minutes...but it wasn't. It was walk-on.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The moon was so pretty--and full, which made me doubly glad I was here and not teaching!

Space was up next! It had maybe 15-20 minute wait. We were sent to the left side. For those that don't know, for the Villains event, it was in pitch black. There was audio of villains going on too, but that definitely doesn't work on Space, you can't hear it.

P was a bit scared.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've laughed so hard, as I did on that ride. I mean, to not even know where you were going was too funny! And then to get off the ride and see this photo...I almost wet myself!!

But dang that exit is killer!

I don't have pics, but we did ride BTMRR and 7DMT(again) somewhere in the night. We pretty much stayed until the end, I believe when we got out of Mine Train, the event was over. There was a show at the castle, that we watched for a minute or two because Meg was in it (we love Hercules). I meant to take a pic of the Main Street clock, but forgot.

While the event didn't have villain meet and greets, at the close of the event, there were different villains up on the train station miked up, interacting with guests and saying goodnight. There were the Stepmother and Stepsisters, Gaston, Bowler Hat Guy (seriously love that movie), Dr.Facilier, Cruella DeVil

Overall, I felt this event was definitely worth the money, though I wish MK was just open late all the time and not because of a paid event. Yes, I realize I'm part of the problem, but we did a ton of rides. P's DVC discount was a nice perk.

Alright, that wraps up Thursday...only one more day left :(

cfry06

It was time to do one of my very favorite things in MK- Swiss Family Treehouse! P opted out of this experience. As I mentioned in another thread recently, how this movie more than any others, and thus this attraction take me instantly back to my childhood in the early 80s. My Dad would always stop at the video store and get a classic Disney movie for us to watch, which we got to do while eating mini pizzas in the livingroom (usually we were not allowed) on lapdesks. Movies like Pollyanna, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Escape from Witch Mountain, The Love Bug, Blackbeard's Ghost, Old Yeller...and Swiss Family Robinson. We wanted to live in their treehouse, so this is stepping right into my childhood.

Yes!! This!! I just flash-backed to so many memories of renting the same live action Disney movies over and over from West Coast Video - complete with the free (stale but delicious) sleeve of movie popcorn! Pollyanna & Swiss Family Robinson were particular faves of mine, along with Darby O’Gill. I’m super excited that as I’ve slowly introduced these movies to my 8yo, he’s a fan😁👏 . He loves the old Pete’s Dragon! Thanks for the warm memories!

Enjoying your trip report! We were there on 6/21 before a cruise - wonder if our paths cross at all!

annienevells

The moon was so pretty--and full, which made me doubly glad I was here and not teaching!
View attachment 387854

Space was up next! It had maybe 15-20 minute wait. We were sent to the left side. For those that don't know, for the Villains event, it was in pitch black. There was audio of villains going on too, but that definitely doesn't work on Space, you can't hear it.

P was a bit scared.
View attachment 387855

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've laughed so hard, as I did on that ride. I mean, to not even know where you were going was too funny! And then to get off the ride and see this photo...I almost wet myself!!

But dang that exit is killer!

I don't have pics, but we did ride BTMRR and 7DMT(again) somewhere in the night. We pretty much stayed until the end, I believe when we got out of Mine Train, the event was over. There was a show at the castle, that we watched for a minute or two because Meg was in it (we love Hercules). I meant to take a pic of the Main Street clock, but forgot.
View attachment 387858

View attachment 387867

View attachment 387869

While the event didn't have villain meet and greets, at the close of the event, there were different villains up on the train station miked up, interacting with guests and saying goodnight. There were the Stepmother and Stepsisters, Gaston, Bowler Hat Guy (seriously love that movie), Dr.Facilier, Cruella DeVil
View attachment 387874

View attachment 387883

View attachment 387885

View attachment 387887

Overall, I felt this event was definitely worth the money, though I wish MK was just open late all the time and not because of a paid event. Yes, I realize I'm part of the problem, but we did a ton of rides. P's DVC discount was a nice perk.

Alright, that wraps up Thursday...only one more day left :(
I can't believe we didn't see each other!! I started the event on Mine Train too! Glad you guys had so much fun :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes!! This!! I just flash-backed to so many memories of renting the same live action Disney movies over and over from West Coast Video - complete with the free (stale but delicious) sleeve of movie popcorn! Pollyanna & Swiss Family Robinson were particular faves of mine, along with Darby O’Gill. I’m super excited that as I’ve slowly introduced these movies to my 8yo, he’s a fan😁👏 . He loves the old Pete’s Dragon! Thanks for the warm memories!

Enjoying your trip report! We were there on 6/21 before a cruise - wonder if our paths cross at all!
I remember Darby O'Gill too! Such good times. I honestly think it's why Magic Kingdom touches me so much. I didn't go until I was 22 for the first time, and all of the memories rushed right back.

We hopped to a couple parks 6.21 so we will see!
I can't believe we didn't see each other!! I started the event on Mine Train too! Glad you guys had so much fun :)
Aw, man!! I literally looked at every person I passed in line--they probably thought I was crazy!!
Hey...better to follow late than never! Enjoying the TR!
LOL I knew you'd show up eventually :p No worries!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, June 21st

So, being our last day, we had some final things we wanted to do in a couple of parks. My major must-do was my #1 Disney attraction, so we started at AK.

Festival of the Lion King!! We headed straight there, and just made it in. I love that after so many viewings, I still get chills and tears from this amazing show.

And the best part of the show is.....TUMBLE MONKEYS!!

Sorry for the overload of FotLK pics.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but go see FotLK.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the delay in continuing my trip report, I had a family reunion to attend in PA this weekend!

I left off with us having just seen Festival of the Lion King. I was extremely happy that I'd gotten to do my absolute favorite attraction! On our way out of AK, we stopped at Starbucks to get P a drink, and me a breakfast sandwich.

Our next stop was DHS--where we had 3 priorities:

1. NumNum Cookie- this was good, and nice and warm & soft in the center, though the taste wasn't extraordinarily special or anything. But definitely shareable!

2. Slinky Dog Dash FP- yay!! My first time riding it! The line was super long, but FP only took about 10 minutes. It was EXTREMELY hot, so I was thankful for the shade. This was so fun!

3. EQUITY BEN!!
P and I never laughed so hard!! Everyone go see the Frozen Sing-a-long!

More Frozen pics in the next post...

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Upon leaving DHS for this trip *sniffle*, I took some pics of the Skyliner station. I'm rather excited for this!

I think they look rather "Hollywood Studios-y" don't you?

We traveled via bus back to the resort. When we pulled into the bus stop at POFQ, there were some cop cars right in front of the main building, which roused the curiosity of all of us on the bus. One woman said "someone must've just gotten their beignet tab for the week"

We walked straight to the boat docks, and caught a ride to Disney Springs for lunch, P had a craving for Frontera Cocina, a place I hadn't ever tried. I had several sides and starters as my meal, while P had a salad.

We shared the guac with bacon. I love guac. And bacon. This was very tasty!

Queso fundido-

Queso mashed potatoes-

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sadly, only one more post to share with y'all...our trip was coming to a close. WAAAAAH!!!

After eating a delicious lunch at Frontera Concina, and taking a very hot walk to the bus stop at DS, we were back off to POFQ for our daily rest. Afterwards, we cleaned up and traveled to the location of our last meal.

This was a first for both P and me.

P ordered octopus, I believe. Not for me!! My body was craving a salad, so I went with the Salad-
Bibb Lettuce, Haricot Verts, Heirloom Tomato, Fennel, Niçoise Olives, Fingerling Potatoes, Sherry-Mustard Vinaigrette

It mostly did the trick, though potatoes in a salad like this was strange to me, and I don't know if I loved that.

For my main dish, I went with the Chicken Mediterranean- Creamy Polenta, Tomato Fondue, Spring Vegetables, Chicken Jus. This was good, though definitely not earth-shattering.

Overall, it wasn't a very memorable meal, except for the company and conversation. It was just one of those really good best friend conversations--years go by without P and I getting to see each other, so we had a really nice night of talking and laughing. I wouldn't say I needed to ever really return to Citricos, but I'm glad I tried it.

We turned down dessert, and made our way to the monorail station. We disembarked at the MK station and made for the POFQ bus stop, where we were teased gifted with a last viewing of the fireworks. WHYYYYY was it our last night??

Fitting that my last photo of this report is a selfie of the two of us.

When we returned to our resort, we realized that there was an hour before the pool would close, so we swiftly changed into our suits and headed there! We found a chair to put our things on...we weren't planning on sitting on it, and both of us put our sparse belongings on one chair. MANY other chairs around the ENTIRE pool deck remained, as there weren't many people there. We quickly got in the water to enjoy the time we had, and we did.
When they announced the pool was closed after that hour, we walked toward where our things were supposed to be, to see a group of (drunk) people sitting on it and the surrounding chairs. We walked up and I rudely-on-purpose reached over them to get our things and said "you're on our things". The guy just laughed and his (I assume) girlfriend turned around (she was facing away from the chair) and said "get off of their things" to him and "oh, sorry" to us. :rolleyes: It wasn't the most wholehearted apology at all, and the guy continued to laugh and said to her "oh this isn't your stuff" and STILL not move, so I literally had to get everything from between him and her. It was so obnoxious, and I still am annoyed thinking about it. Ugh. Why they had to choose those chairs and not the dozens of empty ones around, I'll never know.

Back to our room, to finish packing, and then it was off to bed. I dropped P off at the airport and headed home!

So not to end on that note, our trip was WONDERFUL!! I am so glad we got to go back to our happy place together!

Thanks everyone for reading!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom