Just returned to the parks/forum after a LONG absence

KevinPage

Original Poster
Not sure who remembers me as it's been a few years since I've been active on the forum. I think the last big active time for me was around the "Save Disney" with Roy timeframe. I helped BwanaBob with the Illuminations party (Summer 2004?) as well.

Anyways, still living in Orlando and just went back to the parks this weekend after a 2.5 year absence (burn out and finances of buying passes for 3 people).

Which leads me to a question I had. Overheard a local telling their tourist friends about "augmented reality" and how they do it anytime they come to the parks (we were in the MK but he could have been talking about another park). Didn't they do something new with the Haunted Mansion queue ?

He was also talking (I think) about the NEW Star Tours and when the rope drops for park opening people run over to for some "Jedi" related thing and even if you wait 1 hour, it's worth it. got the impression it was NOT the ride but maybe some other experience they added to it ?

Hope that makes sense. Admittedly I went from being totally engrossed in keeping up with every detail about what Disney did, to almost having NO CLUE the past 6-7 years. Having a kid distracted my brain I guess. :lol:

Kamikaze

Augmented Reality is what its called when you use a smartphone app to layer things on the screen as you look at it. The screen displays this layer, as well as the background behind it using the camera lens.

I did not know there was a WDW specific app for AR, but looking quick there is a paid plugin for Layar
http://site.layar.com/catalog/walt-disney-world/

Layar is one of the first AR apps, it now has iPhone, Android, and Symbian versions.

The things you are talking about are the new queues and interactive queues. At DHS, he was most likely referring to the Jedi Training Academy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom