Just ordered a Nikon D40

Epcotfan21

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here and I did my research on my first dslr and decided to go with the Nikon D40 and added it with the 55-200mm lens (Wolf Camera was having this pretty good deal, so I pulled the trigger). The kit has yet to arrive, but I was wondering what you guys thought are much needed acessories. It is a sort of pre-wedding gift for my fiancee and I, so we plan on using it mostly for vacations and of course Disney trip pics.

Photography is always something that I've been interested in, but never had the time to take it up as a hobby. Now that I have the Nikon, I plan to learn and I'm open to any advice/tips/suggestions on anything else I should pick up to go with it. Thanks.

WDWFigment

For WDW, I'd recommend a Velbon travel tripod, a UV filter for each lens (for protection...if you think you need it), a polarizing filter, and the ML-L3 remote.

dolbyman

a UV filter for each lens (for protection...if you think you need it)

I'm also using one .. but even tough I bought a quite expensive one with multiple anti reflective coating .. it's tending to produce those little lens flares

I counterd it a bit by using a small lens hood .. but it's sometimes visible :( (use the DOF preview to peek if there might be lensflares)

celticdog

Congrats, you'll like it. I have the D40, it's a good camera. Items I've added that I use regularly:

The remote
an extra battery
circular polarizer
UV filter
camera bag (i like Tamrac)
extra SD cards
full size and gorillapod tripods

dclick4968

I would HIGHLY recommend this site...especially for the D40. You can look at this site for hours...so many different topics on the D40 (specifically settings, etc.) FAR better at explaining the "ins/outs" than the owners manual!

I love, love, love my D40.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

PhotoDave219

Ken Rockwell is a f'ing idiot.

I'd highly recommend getting a good intro photo book (Like THe National Geographic Field Guide for Photography) and start from there.

adrianuk91

I've also got a Nikon D40, I think its the best camera I've had, I use a uv filte on the lenses and a poleriser if its really sunny, get a good book it always a good start.

celticdog

I'm just saying that there are much better people out there on the internet (like David Hobby at Strobist.com) then Ken Rockwell....

I did read some of Ken's stuff (specifically about the D40) and found it to be off base. There were quite a few things that would be misleading to a novice.

PhotoDave219

Well then there's that.

I've been a Nikon guy since before the D1 came out. Even with that POS, the whole sunny f/16s rule could make a decent image in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom