Trip Report Just Like Coming Home... A Trip Report in Three Parts

So, first post and I might as well make it a doozy.

My wife and I finally went on our long-planned trip to WDW this past weekend and had an absolute blast. It was my first time back in two years... and my wife's first time in thirteen years (California native.)

Day 1
--------
We departed home in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, at 11 PM and arrived on-property at roughly 7 AM. Not the longest drive in the world but not a short one either.

We had reservations at the All Star Sports Resort (we like to save money) and were surprised to find our room ready for us. We were also surprised to find out that the travel agent we'd spoken to had lied to us and our resort did not yet have the Magic Bands. I'd been really looking foward to trying out the new tech, but I just shrugged off my disappointment. Also waiting for us were a pair of Aniversarry Buttons; a nice surprise.

We got into our room in the Baseball section and did a quick settle in. The room was well worth the money and we've decided to make it our go-to resort of choice.

Once we'd unpacked, we jumped back in our car and headed to the TTC for our tickets. We were happy to find out we qualified for the Military Deal and ended up paying much less than we'd anticipated for the tickets. Since we were right there, we decided to hit my favorite park first; EPCOT.

We arrived via Monorail just as the park opened. I raced over for Test Track FPs then joined the wife for Spaceship Earth. Always loved this ride... After shopping briefly we hit Test Track. This was my first time on the ride since the refurb and MAN does that building look great or what? The ride was fun, but I was just blown away by the redone building.

My wife opted out of Mission: Space so we decided to hop on Ellen's Energy Adventure. I've always enjoyed this attraction (love me some Bill Nye) but I could tell my wife was getting bored. I jumped onto Mission: Space, choosing as I always do the Orange Mission.

Big Mistake.

I'm becoming a lightweight in my old age, as I learned after I left my breakfast in the garbage can post-ride. We grabbed a Sprite to settle my stomach and headed for the calmer shores of the Seas. This ride was not nearly as charming as I remembered. Kinda boring until you reach the climax. We skipped the Land and headed straight for my favorite area; Imagination.

While the ride itself is in need of... something, it's still rather fun and I loves me some Figment. I also never noticed the reference to 'The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.' Cute.

My wife at this point confided in me that she was not having fun and didn't care for EPCOT. Crushed, I agreed that we could leave after the American Adventure and Maelstrom.

We entered the America Pavilion just in time to catch the end of a Voices of Liberty performance. Very nice. I was enjoying the American Adventure as I usually do when I looked over... to find my wife asleep.

Defeated, I melancholily strolled with her to Maelstrom.

Maelstrom seemed slightly different from my last visit. I didn't recall the big troll that comes out of the water next to the Three Headed Troll nor the baby Polar Bear. I also don't remember the splash at the end being nearly that big.

We headed back to the Monorail and jumped onto the Magic Kingdom line at the TTC. I ran ahead and got FPs for Splash Mountain then rejoined my wife for lunch at Pecos Bill's. Still the best burger in WDW. We still had some time, so we jumped onto POTC. My wife was horrified at the smallness of it compared to Disneyland's while I just enjoyed the new Mermaid effects. Very cool.

My wife cheered considerably on her favorite ride; Splash Mountain. A number of AAs were malfunctioning but I assured her they would probably be fixed the next day. We headed straight for the Mansion (my favorite ride) and I took great pleasure in her admitting that the WDW version was superior.

Exhausted, we headed back to the resort. It was still early, so we decided to try the complimentary bus system and check out Downtown Disney. After enjoying a dinner of the best fish and chips I've ever tasted (the name of the establishment escapes me) we became overwhelmed by crowds and got back on the bus.

It took 45 minutes to get from Downtown to the resort. We'll be driving from now on.

Day 2
-------------
Coming Soon!

Joshua&CalebDad

S
My wife opted out of Mission: Space so we decided to hop on Ellen's Energy Adventure. I've always enjoyed this attraction (love me some Bill Nye) but I could tell my wife was getting bored. I jumped onto Mission: Space, choosing as I always do the Orange Mission.

Big Mistake.

I'm becoming a lightweight in my old age, as I learned after I left my breakfast in the garbage can post-ride. We grabbed a Sprite to settle my stomach and headed for the calmer shores of the Seas.

Don't feel bad, I have never been one to get nauseous and on our tip last year I thought I was going to loose it on Star Tours. Not a good feeling at all. Even felt the bead of sweat on my upper lip. Was glad to make it out without loosing my lunch.

We check in on Saturday for another week long trip and I was smart enough to get the Dr. to prescribe patches. Even playing video games for too long these days can cause me to get nauseous (and only play every few weeks with my boys). I hate getting older.

caretaker14

Original Poster
Day 2

We woke up early and managed to arrive at the Magic Kingdom just after Opening. I raced over and grabbed FPs for Space Mountain before rendevousing with the missus at Peter Pan's Flight. I appreciate this attraction for what it is, but it is beyond me how it's constantly got a 70 minute wait. I mean, it is basically an Omnimover.

Peter Pan done, we headed next door to Small World (still one of my favorite attractions) and then to Philharmagic (which my wife said was the best show of it's kind Disney has ever done. I agree... though I could be convinced to give the edge to MuppetVision.)

Our FPs activated and we hit Space Mountain. I had a blast... but my wife decided there would be no more thrill rides for her that day. We let our adrenaline settle with a ride on the TTA then got right onto Space Ranger Spin. This was my first time riding without my grandmother and I FINALLY WON! WOO!

My wife was interested in the ride system of Stitch's Great Escape. While I miss the old attraction terribly, I agreed to endure it for her. SURPRISE, it still sucks and she agreed with me.

After years of anticipation, we finally headed for New Fantasyland. It's gonna look so much better without all those construction walls. We ended up waiting half an hour to meet Ariel (my wife's one demanded character encounter) before walking on to the Little Mermaid ride. We rode the California version a couple months after it opened and I must say that while they're essentially the same attraction... Florida's just feels nicer. I can't explain it. Our show building blows theirs out of the water though.

At this point, my wife was about ready to go back to the hotel and chill out, but we decided to sample Lefou's Brew before we left. Sweet Christmas, where has this treat been all my life. It has now replaced the Mickey Ice Cream Bars as my go-to frozen snack. So good. While we enjoyed our stein of frozen goodness, the family next to us offered us an extra pork shank they didn't want. I wasn't a fan (the top was a bit too peppery) but my wife enjoyed it greatly. I've also gotta say that Gaston's Tavern is easily my favorite area of New Fantasyland. It's cozy without being stifling, very homey, and I enjoyed hearing special arrangements of 'Gaston' and 'Me.'

We passed Storybook Circus and caught the train back to Main Street. A quick ferry ride to the main land and we were back at the hotel. Once the missus was settled in, I headed out solo for a little thrill time and lunch at the Studios.

I quickly grabbed a FP for Star Tours and had a lovely lunch in the next door Warehouse resturaunt; chicken tenders and fries. Love it. My belly full, I hit Star Tours and WOW this attractionhas never looked better. I'd already experienced the California version and I am thrilled that we have it here at home. During the ride, when Darth Vader grabbed our shuttle and waved it around, the small boy next to me hid his face in my arm. After the ride, I mentioned to his mother how great it was that kid's these days were as scared of Darth Vader as I had been as a kid. She agreed.

I took a little stroll across the park towards my second favorite Disney attraction; the Tower. I considered the new Jack Sparrow thing, but didn't feel like waiting half an hour. I made a mental note to return for a walk through of One Man's Dream and made haste for the boulevard. I love the Tower of Terror. I love how the story-telling begins before you even set foot on the hotel's property (that great billboard with the Hollywood Tower Hotel in it's glory days) I just love everything about it. After enjoying my stroll through the gardens (no mist *pout*) and taking in the lobby, entered the library for the pre-show.

*Sigh* I appreciate the cast members who go out of their way to be creepy for the attraction... but don't try and be creepy by moving through the group and trying to startle people during the pre-show. It distracts from the ride's story and that's a big no no for me.

After riding (thrilled that the Fifth Dimension scene is back) I headed back towards One Man's Dream. Halfway, I swooned from lack of water apparently and decided to head back to the hotel.

The wife and I cooled off in the pool before redressing and heading back to MK.

Folks were already lining up for the first Light Parade so I left her at the Emporium and headed over for Splash Mountain FPs. On the way back through Adventureland I saw a couple Skippers by the Jungle Cruise Wall and went over to ask when the refurb would be finished. The skipper mentioned that it was being modified into the Phineas and Ferb Jungle Cruise Adventure (which simultaneously horrified and intrigued me) before telling me when the actual reopening was. Cute.

The wife and I took our time heading back to Frontierland and even took in another ride on Pirates. Both times we rode POTC, we got backed up to the Jail scene because CMs were mopping out boats. Ridiculous.

There was no wait for Splash (thank you Electric Light Parade) so we went ahead and rode it before our FPs activated. I was thrilled to see my prediction about the fixed animatronics was true! The only effect I could see that wasn't working was the last Brer Fox projection before the final drop. We came back around and rode again with our FPs. This time the ride broke down in the Bee Hive for about five minutes (pretty cool. I've never seen Brer Fox go through his whole cycle before) but we finished it okay.

No wait? Let's ride once more.

This time the ride broke down fully just as we reached the exit platform. The ten minute wait was softened by the gorgeous view of the fireworks from the station.

Once we escaped from our log, it was back to the Mansion. As we approached the loading platform, the ride broke down for a minute... during which a child behind us lost his dinner right there on the carpet. We told a CM but by the time the line was rerouted by the offending substance the parents had already spirited (ha) the kid onto the ride.

Let me harp on this for a minute. With few exceptions, the parenting I saw on display in the parks was abysmal. Just awful. Parents letting their kids run around unsupervised, screaming and yelling, generally misbehaving... When I was little, a trip to WDW was a privelage. You didn't behave, you went home.

We rode Mermaid again (twice) then grabbed another couple Lefou Brews to stroll and enjoy before the park closed. We managed one last ride on the TTA before the park closed and we left.

DAY 3
---------
Coming Soon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom