just how much should a high school yearbook cost?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The thing I dont get.. is how prices have gone up astronomically... with the advance of programs such as photoshop... and illustrator... etc.

I mean... I dont think there is a LOT of manual cut & paste, and manual page layout work involved anymore. I mean... are yearbooks going full 5 color print press now? If so... then THAT would explain these prices. All my year books were Black & White. :shrug:
What is even worse is most of the work is done by the students. My 14 year old has been on the yearbook committee for 2 years now and her and a few others do all the layouts. All the printer does is print it.

sbkline

In June, it will be 15 years since I graduated, so my memory may not be serving me well. But I don't seem to remember paying for a yearbook. The previous year's yearbook would come out at the beginning of the school year, and we would be told the yearbooks are available and to come pick up your copy. Maybe we had to pay for it, but I don't remember having to do so.

mousebymarriage

If I remember correctly my H.S. yearbook in 1989 was $50 and I thought that was a rip-off!
That was the pre-sale "special" price for seniors. I still bought it and now almost 20 years later I can't find it and I haven't seen it in probably 17 or 18 years!

accord99cutie

Premium Member
When I graduated in 2003 My Yearbook was $60. It was color for Senior pics, and black and white for all other grades. But all the sports pics, and activity pics were color. Also, we had yearbooks starting in middle school, so I have 8 years of them to look at!

mandib

I went to a private high school and ours was included with tuition (and for the amount we paid to go there, they better have included it!) but ours incuded prom, graduation, etc. The only downside was that once you graduated you had to go back around homecoming time to pick it back up. The problem is no one signs it that way. Oh and this was last year.

nibblesandbits

I don't remember how much mine was...but I don't remember it being that expensive. I could, of course, be very wrong and it could have been well over what I thought it cost. The stinky part with our yearbooks though were that we didn't get them until the next year at registration. So no one could sign our yearbooks and they didn't really offer those inserts to put inside them either. So, all you got was the yearbook. Now, I still have mine, all 4 years of high school. I have looked at them from time to time...especially when I needed to see what someone one of my friends was talking about looked like.

I do think $100 for that is a lot. However, where else are you going to get a yearbook? :shrug: It's like Disney and their food prices, they have you captive.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I do not understand the rings - what is the point?

No one wears them after high school, heck, most dont wear them while in high school.

Why buy those rings? I don't know anyone who cared if other people had them, no one said a word to me for not wanting one, so what's the deal?

Fantasmic!329

My son has one of his sister's classmates as a teacher! :eek:
My brother and sister's classmate was my English teacher last year. :lol: (My brother and sister are twins, hence why they had the same classmate. :lol:)
And my Homeroom teacher was a few years behind them.
And then there's the teachers who had my brother and sister when they were there -- more than 10 years ago. :lol:
What is even worse is most of the work is done by the students. My 14 year old has been on the yearbook committee for 2 years now and her and a few others do all the layouts. All the printer does is print it.
The yearbook advisor and I did the ENTIRE yearbook for a K-8 school my 8th grade year.
The yearbook committee picked the cover, and that's about it.
The input of information and editing came down to the advisor and I.
It was a TON of work!
Not difficult, but tedious.

Oh, forgot the original point of this post. :lol:
I think my yearbook this year is $90.

Nicole220

My brother and sister's classmate was my English teacher last year. :lol: (My brother and sister are twins, hence why they had the same classmate. :lol:)
And my Homeroom teacher was a few years behind them.
And then there's the teachers who had my brother and sister when they were there -- more than 10 years ago. :lol:
Some of my teachers now teach with their old teachers. ex- My math teacher was a student of my chem teacher. Oh, and my friend's mom had the same chem teacher as her. My school is crazy. Most of the teachers are young and went there when they were in high school. They also come from the same college and are all related, but that's a different story. :lol:

To answer the thread's question, our yearbooks are included in tuition (private school...they better be included! :rolleyes:). But the senior ad prices are crazy! The highest package is between $500-$600.

wdwmomof3

So wait... Sophomores get yearbooks now too? Do Freshman as well? Juniors? Are you saying they get four yearbooks in High School now? Man, only the Seniors got yearbooks when I went and I only graduated in 1995. I vaguely remember the costs being around $60-70 for my yearbook. Ours came with extra signature pages, technically, but it was that they handed us signature pages that could be adhered to the inside of the yearbook later because of a delay in getting them printed. We didn't get ours until the second to last day of school, so we were still able to get as many people signing as we could.

Yes, Freshman do get year books, but I don't see why. My daughter is a Freshman this year but we have two yearbooks at $45.00 each & a class picture from Middle School that cost 25.00 that are collecting dust in a closet. The day we went in to get her classes & locker for high school I had to fork over $65.00 for a year book for her Freshman year. I really didn't want to do this but what do you do? Oh yea, and next year if she drives to school we will also have to pay for a parking pass. It's almost cheaper to go to Disney.:lol:

Nicole220

Yes, Freshman do get year books, but I don't see why. My daughter is a Freshman this year but we have two yearbooks at $45.00 each & a class picture from Middle School that cost 25.00 that are collecting dust in a closet. The day we went in to get her classes & locker for high school I had to fork over $65.00 for a year book for her Freshman year. I really didn't want to do this but what do you do? Oh yea, and next year if she drives to school we will also have to pay for a parking pass. It's almost cheaper to go to Disney.:lol:
You (and your daughter) are so lucky she's allowed to drive to school sophomore year! At my school, we can't drive till we're seniors because our parking lot is so small. It was really annoying not only for me, but for my parents as well. I think they were more excited than I was when I became a senior. :lol:

songbird

Original Poster
Here on Long Island a 16 year old has a restricted license and can't drive to school. a 17 year old can get an unrestricted license only if he or she has completed driver's ed. consequently most of the students who drive to school are seniors.

nevertheless, the student parking lot is so small that even if a junior is 17 he or she cannot get a parking permit unless he or she has an after school job and must drive from school to work.

Nicole220

Here on Long Island a 16 year old has a restricted license and can't drive to school. a 17 year old can get an unrestricted license only if he or she has completed driver's ed. consequently most of the students who drive to school are seniors.
Wow, that's different. I didn't know states had different laws. Here in CA, once you pass driver's ed and training and you're 16, you can drive anywhere. The only restrictions: curfew and you can't drive with anyone under 21 for one year (but no one follows that one :lookaroun).

Sorry for the thread drift. :lol:

songbird

Original Poster
Wow, that's different. I didn't know states had different laws. Here in CA, once you pass driver's ed and training and you're 16, you can drive anywhere. The only restrictions: curfew and you can't drive with anyone under 21 for one year (but no one follows that one :lookaroun).

Sorry for the thread drift. :lol:

you'de be surprised. the age for obtaining a driver's license varies from state to state, and the rules vary from state to state. and here on Long island there are restrictions on a junior license that don't exist in other parts of New York. when I took my kids to Hershey last summer I called AAA to see if my older daughter (then age 16) could drive in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

kstella

Yearbooks at my DD's middle school are around $40 and at DS's hs are $60. Yes, they get them every year. What burns me is we just paid $400 for a class ring that DS NEVER wears! Just glad we made it a Christmas present and not an "extra".

wdwmomof3

you'de be surprised. the age for obtaining a driver's license varies from state to state, and the rules vary from state to state. and here on Long island there are restrictions on a junior license that don't exist in other parts of New York. when I took my kids to Hershey last summer I called AAA to see if my older daughter (then age 16) could drive in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

I am guessing that things have changed but when I lived in Jackson, MS years ago, I had my drivers permit at 14 and my license at 15. Now that I have a daughter who just turned 15, I am freaking out with her just studying for the permit. It just seems so young now.

Nicole220

I am guessing that things have changed but when I lived in Jackson, MS years ago, I had my drivers permit at 14 and my license at 15. Now that I have a daughter who just turned 15, I am freaking out with her just studying for the permit. It just seems so young now.
My dad started letting me drive when I was 14. :lookaroun
But it was only in our neighborhood and parking lots.

songbird

Original Poster

I remember being 17 and getting my license I felt so mature. but looking at my daughter...I am scared to death.

lorenita

im 16 and my mom, well she dont like the idea of giving me the car :( i wanna drive!!! :( haha
and about the yearbook, its free in my school,...in mexico :p , but its the only school that i´ve heard that its free, and i feel so lucky about it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom