Just gotta say it out loud...

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Hey DL peeps.

Just want to say this out loud....

In the summer of 2017 we took Amtrak out to Disneyland…

And after visiting Disneyland, I just got to say that I think Disneyland definitely, without a doubt,is indeed better than Magic Kingdom… And if California had an EPCOT...

I honestly probably wouldn’t go to Florida much at all…

You all have a real treasure out there… And for someone who’s into old-school Disney, it was truly a delight. I felt like I can get my fix there…

We just returned from WDW three weeks ago. And I’ve thought a lot about something that stuck out/bothered me very much.

When we visited DL, I felt (and I’m not a superstitious or spiritual type) like Walt’s spirit was still there, it felt engrained in the place. To me it was tangible...

I couldn’t find much of that at all in Florida last month...

So, anyway...wanted to put it out there...I think I might be a convert...minus Epcot...😉

Last edited:

Phroobar

rDn8rD0T.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hey DL peeps.

And after visiting Disneyland, I just got to say that I think Disneyland definitely, without a doubt,is indeed better than Magic Kingdom… And if California had an EPCOT...

You all have a real treasure out there… And for someone who’s into old-school Disney, it was truly a delight. I felt like I can get my fix there…

We just returned from WDW three weeks ago. And I’ve thought a lot about something that stuck out/bothered me very much.

When we visited DL, I felt (and I’m not a superstitious or spiritual type) like Walt’s spirit was still there, it felt engrained in the place. To me it was tangible...

So, anyway...wanted to put it out there...I think I might be a convert...minus Epcot...😉
The real tragedy is that we almost DID get an Epcot (google WestCot) instead of the DCA garbage we have now. And if that were the case, then like you, I'd probably never want to visit the swamps again. Alas...

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Amtrak.. what's this "Amtrak" thing you speak of? ;)

Agreed! I didn't have a reason to visit WDW until they reskinned ToT, brought in Pixar Pier, and decided to turn DCA into Marvel park. Now I go to Disneyland for, well, all of Disneyland and Cars Land. There's a certain magic at Walt's original park that others just can't seem to match.

Rich T

Hey DL peeps.

Thanks for posting that. As a life-long CA resident and DL visitor, sometimes I get too negative in focusing on what's changed in and around Disneyland. It's good to hear that the park still works, with the magic intact, for Disney fans approaching it from a fresh point of view. :) It still works for me, too.

Stevek

Disneyland will always be my favorite...but I really have pretty much loved each of my 4 visits to WDW.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
And we could have had Disney Sea in Long Beach if the coastal commission and other activists didn't screw it up.
Knotts could have become Disney America.

2levj1.jpg
I was aware of Westcot and what wound have become Port Disney. Would have been awesome to see the Queen Mary belong to Disney. I’m sure in another universe there’s a Disneyland resort with Disneyland, Disney’s America, California Adventure, Port Disney, and Westcot all rolled into one awesome 6-headed monster.

I do think somewhere in the future there’ll be a third park at DL...just not sure that I’m up for a big pile of IP with a $100 ticket to see the heap...I’m hoping after Iger (and his minions) are gone that maybe some good stewards of Walt’s legacy will come into power and we’ll see another golden age where it’s not about IP or money, but innovation and detail.

I truly am in love with Disneyland and I’m certain our next trip will be out there (I’m thinking Christmas time in 2020).

Oh and a shout out to the Candy Cane Inn! Wonderful little place!

Phroobar

I was aware of Westcot and what wound have become Port Disney. Would have been awesome to see the Queen Mary belong to Disney. I’m sure in another universe there’s a Disneyland resort with Disneyland, Disney’s America, California Adventure, Port Disney, and Westcot all rolled into one awesome 6-headed monster.

I do think somewhere in the future there’ll be a third park at DL...just not sure that I’m up for a big pile of IP with a $100 ticket to see the heap...I’m hoping after Iger (and his minions) are gone that maybe some good stewards of Walt’s legacy will come into power and we’ll see another golden age where it’s not about IP or money, but innovation and detail.

I truly am in love with Disneyland and I’m certain our next trip will be out there (I’m thinking Christmas time in 2020).

Oh and a shout out to the Candy Cane Inn! Wonderful little place!
Disney owned the Queen Mary/Spruce Goose when they acquired the rights to the Disneyland Hotel from Wrather Enterprises. They kept it in hopes they could go ahead with Port Disney. Due to infighting with the City of Long Beach, they ditched them. That's part of the reason Disney Sea has a ship that looks like a smaller version of the Queen Mary.

The Knotts family wouldn't sell to Disney from fear they would change too much of the park. They sold to Cedar Fair who promptly changed more than Disney ever was going to.

fctiger

I been to every Disney park, including Shanghai last year but I grew up with the original and for awhile (definitely through the Pressler era) I felt DLR was lacking and that TDR was a better quality resort. But the last decade or so the spirit of DLR has beaten it for me. There is something about the original the other parks don't quite even though most of them are quality parks on their own. WDW is great if you just want to feel immersed in the Disney atmosphere which no other resort can quite do, but it still doesn't have that same spark as DLR.

I'm always amazed how bitter and unhappy people seem to be about these parks because for me even with the problems they are still some of the best places in the world to visit and I been to a lot of places worldwide. DL in particular is still a great place and I'm excited to see it grow with SWL on its way and now possibly our first Micky attraction! It's a lot of exciting things happening.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disney owned the Queen Mary/Spruce Goose when they acquired the rights to the Disneyland Hotel from Wrather Enterprises. They kept it in hopes they could go ahead with Port Disney. Due to infighting with the City of Long Beach, they ditched them. That's part of the reason Disney Sea has a ship that looks like a smaller version of the Queen Mary.

The Knotts family wouldn't sell to Disney from fear they would change too much of the park. They sold to Cedar Fair who promptly changed more than Disney ever was going to.
Can you explain that last statement in more detail please? how did Cedar's change Knott's a lot? from what I have seen they have added some much needed new rides and reinvigorated Ghost Town. I am just curious. since I have not been to Knott's in years

Ismael Flores

Can you explain that last statement in more detail please? how did Cedar's change Knott's a lot? from what I have seen they have added some much needed new rides and reinvigorated Ghost Town. I am just curious. since I have not been to Knott's in years

They pretty much ruined the sitelines of the park.

Evrywhere you walk in the park no matter the theme you see coasters looming overhead. Its pretty annoying trying to watch the native American and the wild west stunt shows while coaster cars zoom by with screaming guests. The grave site area is tucked in a small corner now with large coaster supports scattered through it and the Train and stage coach ride are no longer what they used to be with all the loud unthemed hip hop music blaring almost everywhere. They even have dance party right in the middle of the area themed to Latin America with annoying DJ's.

The whole beach themed area has also become a huge waste of space in my opinion. The new coaster is great and has some much needed theming but the rest of it which has the two spinners and mouse coaster are one huge concrete space.

Cedar Fair pretty much destroyed the charm of the park, luckily there are people involved that have helped revitalize some of those areas as well as refurbished old attractions.
they should have just gotten rid of the rapids and expanded the park south and turned that area into the coaster part of the park and developped more family friendly and indoor rides in the older section of the park.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster

Evrywhere you walk in the park no matter the theme you see coasters looming overhead. Its pretty annoying trying to watch the native American and the wild west stunt shows while coaster cars zoom by with screaming guests. The grave site area is tucked in a small corner now with large coaster supports scattered through it and the Train and stage coach ride are no longer what they used to be with all the loud unthemed hip hop music blaring almost everywhere. They even have dance party right in the middle of the area themed to Latin America with annoying DJ's.

The whole beach themed area has also become a huge waste of space in my opinion. The new coaster is great and has some much needed theming but the rest of it which has the two spinners and mouse coaster are one huge concrete space.

Cedar Fair pretty much destroyed the charm of the park, luckily there are people involved that have helped revitalize some of those areas as well as refurbished old attractions.
they should have just gotten rid of the rapids and expanded the park south and turned that area into the coaster part of the park and developped more family friendly and indoor rides in the older section of the park.
Or maybe Knotts shoulda just sold the park to Disney...it’s a shame...

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt since I have not been to knott's in many years, think last time I went was 2001 or 2002, but I Recall sightlines always not being the greatest in that park even when the Knott's ran it. I remember being able to see boomerang and the parachutes from the boardwalk area from many points In the park.

Phroobar

Or maybe Knotts shoulda just sold the park to Disney...it’s a shame...
It's not so bad. It's actually a nice charming place to hang out without the mobs. I think the boardwalk area is well done and much better than Pixar Pier or even Paradise Pier before it. Ghosttown still is better than any Frontierland Disney created.

Disney's idea was to change it into Disney America. They would have used both sides of the street for park stuff. Independence hall would have been part of the colonial section. There was suppose to be a Muppets industrial revolution ride where Iron Reef is now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom