Just Got Back... Thoughts on Disney - Good & Bad

pax_65

Original Poster
Just returned from a week in WDW... this was probably about my 15th trip in the past 16 years, and it was one of our best trips ever. The Disney magic is alive and well.

THE GOOD...

* Disney service. We found service across the board to be up to the Disney standards we expect. This includes hotels (OKW & Beach Club Villas, restaurants, theme park employees, transportation, etc.)

* Disney food. Generally we found the food improved, particularly in counter services restaurants in the parks. There are more options than just "burgers and fries" and the quality was improved. We also had very good full-service meals at the Concourse Steakhouse, Yachtsman Steakhouse and The Coral Reef. We also had a great time at the Hoop-de-doo review, which is as good as ever (if not better).

* New Rides. We really enjoyed Expedition Everest (a new Disney classic), Soarin' and the kids enjoyed Nemo, Turtle Talk and even Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. We were also pleased to see the improvements to Mexico's ride also. Nearly all the rides seemed to be in good condition.

We enjoyed Mission Space:Green (something I previously said was dumb to do) because the kids and my wife were able to comfortably ride it without feeling sick. I admit I was wrong - it's nice to have that option, and the ride itself is still good even without the pressure and nausea.

THE BAD...

* Food in a few spots was lacking. I was disappointed with both the quality of food and value at the Sci-Fi Drive In and Prime Time Cafe. These used to be such fun places to eat, but if the quality of the food isn't there - it's just not worth the cost! I don't plan to return.

* A few rides need help. Carousel of Progress (which I love) needs a dramatic refurb and update. Space Mountain could use a refurb and needs a sponsor - the post-show (previously from FedEx) makes no sense whatsoever. The Speedway is STILL out of place in tomorrowland and now seems more dated than ever. Hester & Jester's in Animal Kingdom was virtually deserted last week. I call it the "Theme Park that Time Forgot". This concept has failed, and I don't even know what to suggest on how to fix it. Energy in Epcot needs help - I haven't been on this ride in years but took my kids on it this trip... what a snore. What's up with Wonders of Life? Are they just going to let it rot there with no explanation?

* One transportation problem... apparently they were having a convention at the Contemporary on Saturday that caused a major traffic backup, with all resort buses headed for the Contemporary sitting in traffic backed up beyond the light for the Wilderness Lodge. I actually want to write Disney about this, since it seems like something they could have easily avoided. Does anyone know where I should address such a letter/e-mail? (Thanks!)

Overall, though, it was a wonderful trip... the magic is alive and well.

Jon

Missin_Disney

* Food in a few spots was lacking. I was disappointed with both the quality of food and value at the Sci-Fi Drive In and Prime Time Cafe. These used to be such fun places to eat, but if the quality of the food isn't there - it's just not worth the cost! I don't plan to return.

I havent eaten in the Sci Fi for about 6 or so years and the food was awful then and havent been there since, such a shame cos the theming of the place is wonderful shame about the food, looks like i wont be returning any time soon then

WDWFigment

* A few rides need help. Carousel of Progress (which I love) needs a dramatic refurb and update. Space Mountain could use a refurb and needs a sponsor - the post-show (previously from FedEx) makes no sense whatsoever. The Speedway is STILL out of place in tomorrowland and now seems more dated than ever. Hester & Jester's in Animal Kingdom was virtually deserted last week. I call it the "Theme Park that Time Forgot". This concept has failed, and I don't even know what to suggest on how to fix it. Energy in Epcot needs help - I haven't been on this ride in years but took my kids on it this trip... what a snore. What's up with Wonders of Life? Are they just going to let it rot there with no explanation?

Jon

I couldn't agree more--here are excerpts of a letter I wrote about my reflections on a trip last August:

"The final scene of the Carousel of Progress is meant to display how humans will utilize technology in the future, yet many of the items are extremely outdated. The family discusses using a Laserdisc player, virtual reality gaming devices, and other outdated items. The family also is surrounded by outdated props such as older ski boots and the television set. With the technology at Disney’s disposal, it seems the company would have the ability to alter certain words without producing a completely new voice track for the ride.
Space Mountain was formerly sponsored by FedEx, a partnership that still bears a trace in the color scheme of the FastPass kiosks and the shipping tale that is displayed after the ride. With the multitude of shipping corporations and the aforementioned story that could incorporate a specific company, it seems there would be no shortage of willing sponsors for this attraction. On the subject of Space Mountain’s exit area, the escalator with cameras and monitors that allow visitors to see themselves feels dated. This certainly impresses young children, but the fact that this is commonly utilized at discount retailers to draw the shoppers’ attention makes one wonder if it has the kind of tact necessary to be employed in a Disney World attraction."

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip!

K-dub

Does anyone know where I should address such a letter/e-mail? (Thanks!)

Jon

Hey Jon,

Glad you had one of your best trips ever!

We just got back a week ago from a 2 week stay and had a great time as well.

As always, there were a few disappointing moments, but that's to be expected anytime.

We actually had the valet stand to give our rental car keys to another guest with the same last name. Even though they already had the right keys to their own vehicle, the newly sub-contracted valet services thought the guest should have another set of keys as well and gave them ours.

Anyway, here's the contact address for your comments.

email:
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

snailmail:
Guest Communications
Executive Offices
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

ThinkTink721

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre

We are planning to go to WDW in Sept.
We were going to stop by the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre for a milkshake or a drink - not for a meal.
Have you ever had a milkshake or drink from SFDIT?
:rolleyes:

benji

Thanks for the info Jon. I agree with all the goods and bads in your update. And yes the magic is still alive!:sohappy:

kcnole

I agree with Carousel but with the large number of major E-tickets that are in need of updates (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise) and that are presently on schedule to receive them the smaller rides such as carousell and country bears will have to wait while all the money is poured into these larger updates.

Space Mountain is on track to receive a refurb within the next couple of years however so we can look forward to that. Hopefully it will remove all of the old Fed Ex stuff and just give us a nice fun postshow at the end.

Vernonpush

I agree with Carousel but with the large number of major E-tickets that are in need of updates (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise) and that are presently on schedule to receive them the smaller rides such as carousell and country bears will have to wait while all the money is poured into these larger updates.

Space Mountain is on track to receive a refurb within the next couple of years however so we can look forward to that. Hopefully it will remove all of the old Fed Ex stuff and just give us a nice fun postshow at the end.

Hopefully it will give us a smoother, more comfortable ride!

pax_65

Original Poster
I agree with Carousel but with the large number of major E-tickets that are in need of updates (Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise)

Good point about Jungle Cruise. Considering the amount of real estate that ride takes up, it should be a major headliner.

I think Disney gets away with a lot because some of these rides are "classics" that people remember from their childhood, etc. Could you imagine Universal or Disney opening a new ride like Jungle Cruise? It would never happen - audiences would never accept such a low-thrill, low-tech experience.

Disney has also made the whole ride into a parody of itself, which makes it funny and enjoyable but c'mon...

pax_65

Original Poster
We were going to stop by the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre for a milkshake or a drink - not for a meal. Have you ever had a milkshake or drink from SFDIT?

The other point I meant to mention is the big demand for on-property dining because of the Disney Dining Plan. Gone are the days where you can just "pop in" to the Sci-Fi for a milkshake and appetizer. We tried to do that at 11am and were told they were booked until 9:30pm the following evening!

So for those who are heading down... you might want to make more priority seating arrangements ahead of time than usual.

hcswingfield

We were a bit disappointed that it has become harder to find sugar free desserts and candies in all the parks. You used to be able to get great sugar free dark chocolate bars at many of the Epcot world showcase pavillions, but not any more.

Vernonpush

I think Disney gets away with a lot because some of these rides are "classics" that people remember from their childhood, etc. Could you imagine Universal or Disney opening a new ride like Jungle Cruise? It would never happen - audiences would never accept such a low-thrill, low-tech experience.
Do you mean something like Twister at Universal?

lilclerk

We were going to stop by the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre for a milkshake or a drink - not for a meal.

The ice cream/milkshakes are the best part. We went for lunch in February. The burgers are really good too.
I really loved the Sci-Fi and Prime Time. We had SO much fun at those restaurants. While they didn't have the best food, they were our favorite meals.
And this is from three 20-somethings =)

radiohost

As far as Prime Time Cafe goes......

5 years ago our family gave it 5/5 stars and a "must do" restraunt for future visits....

Well, that was 5 years ago, and last year it trickled to a 2/5 star rating. No entertainment, bad food, no memories.

Radiohost:cool:

DisneyDragon

We always go for an afternoon snack at SFDIT, usually drinks and maybe some ice cream. It's cool, and so unique, but for meals, it's not the best. It's also awkward in larger groups due to the seating arrangements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom