Just got back from three days of Disneyland and noticed a large uptick in service animals

Kramerica

Original Poster
I wanna be sensitive about this topic because service animals are an invaluable resource that are entirely necessary to some people (Not to mention I just love dogs so darn much), and Disney has always done a good job about incorporating these service animals into the parks. This last trip, You'd see someone with their dog around every corner. But a lot of the times these didn't feel like actual trained service animals, but rather someones pet who they claimed was medically necessary and brought into the parks.

Once instance from this weekend stands out in my head. A lady with her dog on a leash standing near the entrance to Matterhorn. Her dog taking extreme angst to every person walking by. Barking, pulling at their leash, running around the small constraints of where their leash allowed them. The owner seemingly oblivious to this crazy scene she was creating. This clearly wasn't a trained service animal, nor was this someone who was trained to handle a service dog.

I feel like we're seeing the same situation that the airlines saw and had to start cracking down on. It's far too easy to claim your pet as a support animal so you can bring them into the parks, which, as much as I adore dogs, doesn't seem right to me. Am I just being a scrooge here? I feel like this sort of thing could get out of hand real fast.

BubbaQuest

Unfortunately it has become a problem everywhere. Grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I'm very sympathetic, but it can be frustrating. It's actually great to see someone with a trained service dog with both the dog and owner being able to enjoy social situations.

However, so many times I see pets that are clearly not trained at all and definitely not trained service dogs with service dog harnesses. The owner is usually oblivious and the dog looks confused or miserable.

I hope a better solution can be found soon.

westie

There are service animals THEN there are comfort animals. A service animal aids a person in their life and requires training whereas a comfort animal just relieves stress and makes the owner feel good and requires no training. I believe you are referring to a comfort animal. The example shows no training and the paperwork for which can be obtained online. And yes, comfort animals are the new power scooters.

Phroobar

You can bring your horse into the parks in Florida.

cudd7.jpg

Not sure what Chewie is doing to that little dog.
star%20wars%20042.jpg

This dog gets around.

3d_0062.JPG
small%20world%20066.jpg

Just wait until you can marry your pet.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just hope people with untrained animals they need with them all the time have good insurance. More likely to get bit by a emotional support animal now because they are in more public areas.

AJFireman

I agree they are more and more dogs taken around everywhere. It is definitely a sensitive subject and hard to regulate. There is no official waiver/certification/vest to obtain. Their medical conditions are protected under HIPAA Laws so the person doesnt need to disclose what their condition is. Service Animals like someone stated before are trained to do a job and Emotional/Therapy Animals are just there for comfort and support no training required.. Only Service Animals are protected under current ADA laws.

The only thing the parks can ask are 1) Is this a service animal required for a disablity and 2) What work or task is the animal trained to perform. If they can answer those 2 questions They will let them in. People have learned this through social media or doing their own research and they know their is not a lot Disney will do about it. Also, and not sure why but a Miniature Horse can also be a trained Service Animal. Some say because they are easier to train to perform a task and/or used for those with a stability issue a living cane you might say.
Those are the only 2 animals that are basically covered by ADA laws. If an animal is acting inappropriately though they can be asked to leave. Since its a sensitive subject because of the backlash they might receive or a lawsuit you might not see a lot of them being removed from the parks. There is currently a Service Animal Trainer in Orlando Suing Disney because she felt mistreated. People call her the crazy poodle lady because she usually has 3 or 4 large poodles "training" and she dyes them different colors all the time. She then gets mad about the attention she receive and blast people on her social media.

DrAlice

1. Kangaroos. ...
  2. Bearded Dragons. ...
  3. Pigs. ...
  4. Turkeys. ...
  5. Marmosets. ...
  6. Snakes. ...
  7. Peacocks. ...
  8. Ducks.<<

I've got to scratch my head at #4. We have turkeys on our property constantly and I've got to say, there is nothing emotionally supportive about those jerks.

Except when they are served with a side of cranberries. ;)

DrAlice

“Therapy horse”
Just... wow

I'm a college professor, and this came up on our campus a couple of years ago. A student wanted to bring their emotional support pony to a lab class. This led to a lot of "these kids today" and "what has this world come to" discussions. In the end, the pony was not allowed due to lab safety requirements.

fctiger

This started out as a serious topic and became hilarious. I had no idea the kinds of animals people now take to public places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom