Just Engaged: An August 2010 Trip Report!

As the title suggests, this was an especially exciting trip for us and I can’t wait to share all of the fun details. Seeing as how I am lucky enough to write one of these every few months or so, I’m going to forego the normal introductions. Instead, why don’t I share five non-Disney things you might not already know about the two of us? Let’s see... non-Disney stuff?! This might be hard!

1 – We love live music! Seriously, aside from Disney, this is what we spend money on. Some of our favorite artists we’ve seen live include David Gray, Ben Folds, Brandi Carlile, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, KT Tunstall, She & Him, Jack Johnson, A Fine Frenzy, Counting Crows, Nickel Creek, and Jimmy Buffett to name a few.

2 – We name inanimate objects and refer to them as such... this is especially true for electronics, and oddly enough they really do take on personalities. No,seriously! For example, our laptops are Petunia (mine) and Frances (his); our Garmin’s are Neville and Navi; and my camera is more affectionately known as Ginger. Weird? Maybe just a little bit. :ROFLOL:

3 – As much as I hate to admit it, we are complete and utter TV junkies. We LOVE our TV. And if I had to pick the one show we are jointly most excited to see this fall season it would have to be Dexter. Bring on the creepy.

4 – We are totally one of those couples who met at a bar. It just so happened that we both worked there while in college. Ahhh... everyone loves a good cliché, right?! :lookaroun

5 – We have a standing tradition of buying one another a book to celebrate each holiday. And when I say holiday, I mean every holiday you can think of from St. Patrick’s Day to Christmas. Usually the only time we stray outside the lines is on birthdays. We’ve built quite an impressive collection so far ranging from popular fiction to non-fiction, children’s books to biographies and we throw in some Disney “coffee table” books and “Art of’s” for good measure every now and then. Amazon is our friend! As are the myriad of used book stores we come across in the different places we visit. We already have enough to fill our own library when we buy a house!

Of course, no introduction is complete without the requisite photo, but for the heck of it, let’s go “old school.” Here we are with the elusive Rescue Rangers in 2004:

Nov04040.jpg

We started planning this trip sometime after the Princess Half Marathon and eventually booked when the AP rates came out earlier in the summer. To be more precise, while I was in the midst of a quick weekend trip with my mom, Brett called and made the resort reservations, solidifying our stay at Caribbean Beach from August 13-August 17. And then, as per usual, we decided we would drive down after work on Thursday, so we booked a hotel through priceline for the night of the 12th.

Just the other day I realized that we haven’t repeated a resort since I began writing trip reports... so here’s a look back:
The Contemporary – September 2008
Old Key West – December 2008
Port Orleans Riverside – January 2009
Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Lodge – July 2009
The Beach Club – December 2009
Pop Century – March 2010
Coronado Springs – June 2010

We were both incredibly excited for this trip because we felt like it was our first truly “us” trip in a long while that spanned a decent amount of time and didn’t include some kind of endurance event to focus on. :eek: Okay, so I’m not gonna lie... I went into this trip “hoping” there’d be a little something special, but not really expecting it. There was one small detail that tipped me off ahead of time. I ALWAYS maintain the reservations and type up a minimal list of our dining plans/confirmation #s and before I could do it for this trip, Brett told me he typed it up at work one day when he had some free time. Hmmmm... interesting. I started wondering if he’d made some changes to the dining. And then I started thinking, why would he have any reason to mess with our dining?! I tried to dismiss this thought though, mostly because I didn’t want to be disappointed if it turned out he wasn’t planning on proposing. Thankfully, he did! So let’s get to it…

plaz10

I've been wondering which trip he was going to pop the question on! One of your other reports "so this is love" had me fooled. When I read that title, I thought it had happened then! But congrats to you both!

Oh, and my boyfriend and I are big Dexter fans too. I think they (and Michael C Hall) get robbed at the Emmys every year. But yes it's a fantastic (albeit creepy as heck) show!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report. Congrats again!

tiaragirl

GASP. GASP GASP GASP. How unfair is it that I can't read this right now and have to go to Soc class?!? Darn you, Holly! But congrats, too =)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Yay!!!! That is such awesome news, Holly! :sohappy: I will now stalk this thread for updates...heehee. (not intended to sound creepy XD)

Congrats again!

Please, stalk away!! And thank you!

Congratulations. Can't wait to hear all about it. I've enjoyed all of your other trip reports, so I'm sure this one will be good too.

Awww, thanks, jesemeca. I'm looking forward to your birthday report.

OMG, congrats!!!!! :sohappy: There will be a ring pic included in the TR, right???? Can't wait to hear all about the proposal!

And my Garmin is named Daniel and he is British. :p

Oh yes, there will most definitely be a ring shot. He did good. British Daniel? Sounds handsome! :D

Congrats! Cant wait to hear more on the TR!!:sohappy:

Thanks, WDWmazprty!

Best Wishes Holly! So glad for your happy news!

Yes, it is very happy news! Thanks so much!

Congrats Holly! That is wonderful.

Of course since I am at work I can't get any pictures...:eek: Which means I will just have to come back here once I escape.

But congrats on the engagement!!

Thanks, Aleisha! Good luck escaping later!

congrats holly!!! i was so excited to see this post but sad too because i leave for wdw tomorrow so i won't be able to read your report til i get back! :( :lol: its really funny/sad that i am about to head off to the world and yet i am sad i can't read someone else's trip report! i am looking forward to reading all about your trip when i return!

Thanks, Ashley, and don't worry the trip report will be here waiting for you when you return. I hope you have fun at the Wilderness Lodge and I look forward to hearing all about it.

I've been wondering which trip he was going to pop the question on! One of your other reports "so this is love" had me fooled. When I read that title, I thought it had happened then! But congrats to you both!

Oh, and my boyfriend and I are big Dexter fans too. I think they (and Michael C Hall) get robbed at the Emmys every year. But yes it's a fantastic (albeit creepy as heck) show!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report. Congrats again!

Thank you! That's too funny that the "So This Is Love" title fooled you... when I had no intentions of doing any such thing. :lol:

LOVE me some Dexter! And I have to agree with you with regards to the show getting robbed every year, especially Michael C. Hall. His performance is so good that we just recently started netflixing Six Feet Under and OMG he's just as amazing in it. The man is so incredibly good at playing someone with a secret.

GASP. GASP GASP GASP. How unfair is it that I can't read this right now and have to go to Soc class?!? Darn you, Holly! But congrats, too =)

Oh, Kenzie! Don't stress too much, as I have a busy day ahead and won't be updating until this evening. It'll be here waiting for you after sociology. :lol:

mouselvrmom

I'm glad that your meatball sliders got some om nom nom's, but I think the concept is kind of strange. I never thought to put a meatball on a bun! They just look kind of silly. :lookaroun:lol:

I'll just wait for more! Although you are taking away from my trip report writing time! :D

Septemberman

Congratulations!!!

Congrats to both you and Brett. How exciting for you both. I am anxiously awaiting what I am sure will be another incredible trip report! :D

Michael

plaz10

LOVE me some Dexter! And I have to agree with you with regards to the show getting robbed every year, especially Michael C. Hall. His performance is so good that we just recently started netflixing Six Feet Under and OMG he's just as amazing in it. The man is so incredibly good at playing someone with a secret.

Thats so weird that you say that...we did the same thing! After reading some reviews about Dexter I read a lot of people saying "we couldn't imagine seeing him in anything else after Six Feet Under" so we just finished the last season on Netflix! It's a good show, not as good as Dexter in my opinion (and the boyfriends), but I still watched all the seasons. Some episodes are better than others but it's good. The series finale is fantastic. Have your kleenex handy! ha ha!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Oh, congratulations, Holly!! If ever two people seemed destined for happily ever after, it's you guys!

Can't wait to see the rest of hte report, and the "ring shot"!!

EDIT: Oh, and I definitely have to check out that meatball bar--my October trip is with my Italian in-laws!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
And my Garmin is named Daniel and he is British. :p

I set my Garmin on the "British male" voice so I could pretend it was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I wind up calling it Daniel. My mother, however, calls it "Talkin' Joe". :ROFLOL:

Don't you love the way they gave names to all the voices? I tried Emily, the British female, but she was a bit too prim, and I think the Australians are Lee and Kim? I actually had to pull over and switch off of them immediately, I could not understand a single word! Jack and Jill are the Americans, I think, or Jack and Jane? Fun stuff.

tiaragirl

as I have a busy day ahead and won't be updating until this evening. It'll be here waiting for you after sociology. :lol:

Ah, good. I was really upset there for a second, Primary and Secondary Socialization was putting a serious damper on my Disney spirit.

But now that I'm for the night.. ;)

disneygirl1

OMG!!! I still have to go back and read but had to say Congrats reall fast!!! Here all this time I thought you a Brett have been engaged!!! :sohappy:

Rach&Eric

Congrats to you both, you so deserve it. I've read all your reports and I know I'll love this one.

Ah I have named my laptop Pickle (it's green and I guess the only thing I could think of) and my car is affectionately named Blueberry, but since I'm French it's actually Bleuet...hehehehe

Rach

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I'm glad that your meatball sliders got some om nom nom's, but I think the concept is kind of strange. I never thought to put a meatball on a bun! They just look kind of silly. :lookaroun

I'll just wait for more! Although you are taking away from my trip report writing time! :D

Oh no you don't... you don't get to blame me for taking up trip report writing time... now, get back to work. :ROFLOL:

The meatballs do look a little silly, but they were oh so good.

Congratulations!! And I can't wait to read more!

Thanks! I hope to have an update up shortly.

Congrats to both you and Brett. How exciting for you both. I am anxiously awaiting what I am sure will be another incredible trip report! :D

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I'm hoping this one will be the best yet, considering this was obviously the best trip yet!!

Congratulations! I can't wait to read about the proposal and see pictures!

Thanks! There are lots of pictures to come!

Thats so weird that you say that...we did the same thing! After reading some reviews about Dexter I read a lot of people saying "we couldn't imagine seeing him in anything else after Six Feet Under" so we just finished the last season on Netflix! It's a good show, not as good as Dexter in my opinion (and the boyfriends), but I still watched all the seasons. Some episodes are better than others but it's good. The series finale is fantastic. Have your kleenex handy! ha ha!

Fun! We actually just started the first season over this past weekend. We're only three episodes in, but I have high hopes.

Oh, congratulations, Holly!! If ever two people seemed destined for happily ever after, it's you guys!

Can't wait to see the rest of hte report, and the "ring shot"!!

EDIT: Oh, and I definitely have to check out that meatball bar--my October trip is with my Italian in-laws!

Thanks so much, Siobhan! You're too sweet. The meatball bar was fun; Brett recommends the Olde Pelican Ale.

I set my Garmin on the "British male" voice so I could pretend it was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I wind up calling it Daniel. My mother, however, calls it "Talkin' Joe". :ROFLOL:

Don't you love the way they gave names to all the voices? I tried Emily, the British female, but she was a bit too prim, and I think the Australians are Lee and Kim? I actually had to pull over and switch off of them immediately, I could not understand a single word! Jack and Jill are the Americans, I think, or Jack and Jane? Fun stuff.

Yes, the Aussies were definitely hard to understand!! And Brett loves the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Ah, good. I was really upset there for a second, Primary and Secondary Socialization was putting a serious damper on my Disney spirit.

But now that I'm for the night.. ;)

I can certainly see how primary and secondary socialization can do that to a girl!

OMG!!! I still have to go back and read but had to say Congrats reall fast!!! Here all this time I thought you a Brett have been engaged!!! :sohappy:

I know, right! Took him long enough. :lol:

Congrats to you both, you so deserve it. I've read all your reports and I know I'll love this one.

Ah I have named my laptop Pickle (it's green and I guess the only thing I could think of) and my car is affectionately named Blueberry, but since I'm French it's actually Bleuet...hehehehe

Rach

Pickle?! I LOVE it. I can just hear you now, "Hey, Pickle, let's go check out the happenings on wdwmagic!"

Thanks, Rach!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Friday, August 13: Check-in/DHS/MK

At 5:30 am the alarm went off and I happily hopped out of bed! Seriously, Disney is the only thing that can put pep in my step at that time of day. It was time to truly get this vacation started! By 6:30, we’d checked out, packed the car, and were cruising under the archway to the happiest place on earth.

We always drive while we’re at Disney, so we know are way around the property really well, especially because we always stay at different resorts. So over time we’ve really come to learn all the different ways to get from point A to point B, although on rare occasions we do make a wrong turn every now and then. Therefore, when Brett missed the first turn off towards CBR, I was like “Uhh… you just missed our turn.” His response, “No, I didn’t.” Ummm, “Yes you did!” Then it dawned on me, “Hey wait, I know this trick!” There must be a resort switch up his sleeve. Fun! My money was on the Wilderness Lodge, mostly because I know that the lodges are the most reasonable of all the deluxes, and with the current AP rates, I figured it was a given. I mean, that’s what I did!

So, as we’re cruising towards the Magic Kingdom gates, I can’t contain my excitement. I’m thinking all about Silver Creek Springs and the boat to the MK, making all these little plans for our time spent at the resort.

AND THEN… Brett takes a left.

You all know which left I’m talking about, right? It’s the one that crosses over the TTC tramway and takes travelers past the Polynesian. NO WAY. Immediately, my mind starts reeling. I kid you not, my first thought after I realized we were going to the Poly was, OMG he’s totally gonna propose during this trip. Then, of course, I start going crazy trying to figure out how, and where, and when. That, and I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face. We have so many favorite spots throughout the parks and resorts that I was clueless as to when or where. Scenario after scenario was running through my mind at the speed of light. :lol: I was just hoping he wouldn’t wait until the end of the trip to do it. We exchanged a knowing look as we were pulling up to the entrance. He knew, I knew. But we weren’t talking about it. So we handed off our luggage to bell services, and started walking towards the entrance to check in. I was so excited to be staying at the Polynesian. It’s one of those resorts that has always been off-limits, pricewise.

IMG_6327.jpg

And then… BAM! He dropped to one knee and proposed right by the waterfall as we were walking in. It caught me completely off guard and it was the last thing I expected. My mind was reeling; I don’t even remember half of what he said, I’m sure he was waxing poetic about our love, but all I can remember is thinking “FINALLY!” which I said quite loudly before sealing it with a kiss. And just like that, we were engaged. I’m so glad he proposed at the very beginning of our trip because it kept me from constantly wondering when is it gonna happen? And it kept him from acting all weird and/or nervous leading up to the moment. Instead, we were able to spend the whole trip celebrating... at the POLYNESIAN no less!

I was practically skipping as we made our way into the lobby to check in. Jacque, the CM checking us in, congratulated us and asked if we had any preferences or if there was a particular longhouse we were interested in. I was in too much shock to really make any sense of it all. Truth be told, at that point I couldn’t care less which room we were assigned because I was already ecstatic just to be there, and I was not-so-secretly admiring the rock on my finger. Speaking of, Brett completely and totally picked out the ring all by himself with no help whatsoever. And I absolutely LOVE IT! I didn’t take any pictures at the time (my mind wasn’t right!), but I did take some later on, so we’ll get to those in a little bit.

5 minutes later, back in reality, Jacque happily told us she was able to upgrade our room to a water view balcony. Then she apologized for not being able to secure a Magic Kingdom view room for us. Hello! She had already done more than enough, and was totally wonderful! She offered to take a picture for us, and even though it’s blurry, I’m glad she did:

IMG_6080.jpg

Our room wasn’t ready yet and we still had some time before EMH at the Studios so we headed off to Captain Cook’s for a quick bite to eat.

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

Mmmm… a surprise proposal and Tonga Toast, what more can a girl ask for?! :D

IMG_6088.jpg

Favorite!

IMG_6087.jpg

To be completely honest, I was almost too excited to eat and was on a complete and total high from all the excitement of the morning. We called our parents to share the good news before leaving Captain Cook’s and making our way to DHS.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_6090.jpg

It was a beautifully HOT day at the Studios. As soon as we arrived we grabbed a quick picture in front of the hat before heading off for… you guessed it, Pixar Place.

IMG_6093.jpg

The line was starting to get ridiculous already so we picked up TSMM fastpasses, before going to find some old friends...

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

Eeyore’s set up wasn’t working so well for photographs, especially with that early morning sun in the background. He didn’t have a line when we approached and as we walked away he brushed his hands together, as if to say “Allright, I’ve put in a full day’s work already.” :lol: I heard his handler say something along the lines of “If only it were that easy, Eeyore.” Seriously though, there weren’t many people in the area and we hardly had to wait for any of the characters. Just another reason to utilize those early morning park hours (EMH or otherwise). We met Chip, Dale, Eeyore, Goofy, Pluto, and Stitch all during one thirty minute set. That's unheard of at any other time of the day.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Goofy noticed the buttons right away and high fived Brett in congratulations.

IMG_6132.jpg

But wait…

IMG_6134.jpg

Goofy thought it was important that we show off the ring:

IMG_6137.jpg

Stitch was being extremely mischievous that morning. When we first approached his area we saw him rolling around in a stroller he stole from some child. And later on in the day during a different set, he had a hula hoop out when we walked by; I’m amazed at all the energy he had, especially considering the burning inferno of a day we were experiencing.

IMG_6147.jpg

He questioned my ability to select a mate when I told him who had proposed. “Who? That guy?! Really, are you sure?!" And then he made some motion as if to say that Brett stinks, and Brett’s response was “That hurts, coming from you,” to which Stitch replied with a whiff of his own armpit and a thumbs up. :lol:

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

I love it when Donald and Daisy do meet and greets together. They’re ADORABLE!

IMG_6164.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
On Sunset Boulevard we hit up the single rider line for RNR; I really can’t remember the last time we waited in standby. We skipped the Tower of Terror figuring we’d be back later. Turns out we didn’t end up riding this even once during our whole trip, which is rather shocking. On our way back to Pixar Place we stopped in the Scary Apothecary for a coke. For some unknown reason this is one of my favorite mirrors on property:

IMG_6146.jpg

Back in Pixar Place we got in line early to meet Buzz and Woody, making this normally crazy line somewhat bearable.

IMG_6168.jpg

"You saved our lives. We are eternally grateful. OooooooOooh!"

IMG_6170.jpg

“Reach for the Skyyyyyy!”

IMG_6186.jpg

In the Animation building, we wandered about playing all the little games while waiting for everyone’s favorite huggin’ bear.

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6197.jpg

I love how the animation queue always has artwork from the featured movie. Waiting for Lotso, it really did feel like we were looking out onto the grounds of Sunnyside.

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

The only mandatory thing on the agenda for the day was a meet and greet with Lotso, who really did smell like strawberries! Of course, only a big 'ol hug is acceptable for a Lots-o-huggin’ Bear.

IMG_6249.jpg

tiaragirl

CONGRATS (again)! You guys are so adorable, which we all know from previous TRs and 'lotso lovin', but I'm so happy for you both =)

And good on him for droppin' down right there. If you both 'knew', may as well celebrate!

Waiting for more, maybe tomorrow you can help me through the Psychology of Women ;)

.. and for God sake's let's see a picture of the carefully chosen rock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom