Just booked very first Solo Trip!! Need some advice

Tinkerbella16

I am so so so excited as I have I just booked my very first solo trip to WDW! This is very special for me because I haven't been "home" in almost 4 years and I used to go once a year since I was 6 years old. I have always wanted to take a solo trip but never actually did it. I am staying at POFQ from September 23-28 on the DDP w/ 6 day hopper tix. Some of my trip I will not be solo, because my good friend from work will be down the same exact dates and I'll be dining with his family for 2 of my meals.

Just wanted to get some imput from anyone who has gone to the world solo. I know this is going to be one of my favorite trips since I will be able to do what I want, when I want and I don't have to wait around for anyone.

I will be doing 2 of my meals solo though and this is where I get a little confused.. what are some restaurants I'd feel more comfortable dining alone? I actually already have Kona set in stone because its my favorite and its tradition to eat there every trip. I need help on the 2nd meal. I will be doing the Hoop Dee Doo Revue and Teppan Edo with my friend.

Thanks all! I cannot wait!!!!!!! :D

carverebain

I'd like to hear some tips for a solo WDW trip too. Depending on my families' plans, I might end up by myself for a trip from December 2cd through the 8th or 9th.

Upvote 0
I'm so happy for you....I have done three solo trips, each one a little longer, and hope to do one every year or so. I love going with my family, my husband and my friends...but so love the freedom of going alone. I love having my own agenda, my own everything....and my own reflection. I feel very comfortable eating alone at WDW....so I would just suggest...go anywhere you want to!

I love to go to Boma breakfast. I love that restaurant. The service is always top notch, the food always good and it is sooooo beautiful at AKL.

Embrace being your own person and do not worry a bit about anything while dining alone...choose what you want without worrying about whether or not it is okay to be alone. I have even gone to Crystal Palace alone...with the characters approaching me. It's not my public so who's gonna think it's strange to see a solo diner there...or to judge me? :p

I don't really have any tips to offer...just go and have fun. I love going alone to photograph anything I want and not worry if I am holding up the group. I have met some great people who either look at me like I am kind of a lost soul with a little pity in their looks or who are totally envious of me for being by myself and they totally get it. I love being able to really cruise through the parks, getting through the crowds much quicker, take the single line on some attractions, get up early or get a later start. Eat popcorn for breakfast. Eat nothing but desserts most of the day, crash at the resort early and blow off going to the parks at night if I choose to. Really, just do what you want. No safer place to be...no worrying about anything. I will often just sit and people watch while I relax or plan my next course of action. If you're uncomfortable with the fact that you're alone, pop a book in your bag for meals, or edit your photos.

ENJOY!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips!! I'm really not uncomfortable at all going alone.. I've just read that at some restaurants people felt a little odd. This is something I'vewanted for a long time and im so excited!

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I used to do solo trips all the time and loved them. Fun fact: last year I met the love of my life on a solo trip.

Anyway, I have never felt self-conscious dining alone anywhere at WDW, with the exception of a character meal. They can be a little awkward- the characters come over, point to the empty chair, make a confused gesture, and then realize you're alone and it just gets strange.

Other than a character meal, no one bats an eyelash if you're alone. Some of my favorite solo dining places are Le Cellier (each time I've gone there solo, the staff has been INCREDIBLY attentive, moreso than when I've been there with a group), Cali Grill (sit at the counter and chat with the sous chefs), Jiko (again, ask to sit at the "cooking place" and you'll get to chat with the chef), and Boma (that place is so loud and busy no one will even notice you're alone).

Those places are my favorites, but like I said, I've never felt self-conscious about it before.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
I used to do solo trips all the time and loved them. Fun fact: last year I met the love of my life on a solo trip.

Anyway, I have never felt self-conscious dining alone anywhere at WDW, with the exception of a character meal. They can be a little awkward- the characters come over, point to the empty chair, make a confused gesture, and then realize you're alone and it just gets strange.

Other than a character meal, no one bats an eyelash if you're alone. Some of my favorite solo dining places are Le Cellier (each time I've gone there solo, the staff has been INCREDIBLY attentive, moreso than when I've been there with a group), Cali Grill (sit at the counter and chat with the sous chefs), Jiko (again, ask to sit at the "cooking place" and you'll get to chat with the chef), and Boma (that place is so loud and busy no one will even notice you're alone).

Those places are my favorites, but like I said, I've never felt self-conscious about it before.

Thanks for the tips! No character meals for me this time so I'll be ok with that. Just Kona and The Plaza Restaurant are the only 2 I'll be dining alone.. the rest are with a friend of mine who will be staying at BLT the same dates. We actually have the same flights and all so most of my trip won't feel like a solo trip but I am doing my own things.

That is awesome that you met the love of your life down there during your solo trip.. how did that happen, if you dont mind me asking?

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Thanks for the tips! No character meals for me this time so I'll be ok with that. Just Kona and The Plaza Restaurant are the only 2 I'll be dining alone.. the rest are with a friend of mine who will be staying at BLT the same dates. We actually have the same flights and all so most of my trip won't feel like a solo trip but I am doing my own things.

That is awesome that you met the love of your life down there during your solo trip.. how did that happen, if you dont mind me asking?

I was standing in front of the hat at DHS during one of those central Florida downpours that last 20 minutes. I had no umbrella, coat, or anything to protect me from the rain, and I must have looked rather pathetic. He approached me and asked if I'd like to stand under his umbrella and wait out the rain. I happily said yes, and the rest is history!

Upvote 0

Sloan

solo dining

Hey TinkGirl,

I've had several solo trips that I really enjoyed, including solo dining. If you are not as comfortable at a table on your own, consider dining at the bar - for instance, the bar at California Grill is an excellent place for a meal (particularly Yoshi's sushi there:slurp:) California Grill would probably be my first choice if I had to pick a single 'solo' dining meal. Speaking of sushi at Cali., you could also go to to the sushi bar at Tokyo Dining - I had a very good (but not excellent) meal there on one of my more recent solo trips.

I also had a great solo meal at Jiko - and being at the AKL at night is always a treat. I've been to Jiko for some of the South African wine dinners, and when I brought that up with the server, she started bringing out samples of new stuff for me to try - she was much more engaging than if I'd been there with someone else.

Unlike Nick_A, Le Cellier is the only place I had an awkward experience dining solo - the hostess seemed dumbfounded that I was there eating on my own, and even said something like, "wow, I'm sorry - I hope you don't mind eating alone ...."

As I sit here and think about it, Victoria & Albert's is about the only place in the World I would not want to dine solo ...

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
Im staying for five nights on the DDP and I'm only doing two completely alone.. Kona and The Plaza on Main Street so I think those will be great to eat at by myself. Im doing Teppan Edo and Hoop dee doo Revue with friends that I'll be meeting up with.

I can't believe the hostess said something to you like that at LeCellier..

Upvote 0

The Empress Lilly

I must say that I love doing Disney solo, but that the the only time I feel awkward is when eating at a table service restaurant.

I cheated on eating solo by going to the SciFi restaurant. Everybody is watching the movie there! And so could I!
Also, I happen to simply like the atmosphere of the SciFi, lovely place.

On the other end of the scale, I did the Prime Time alone once, because I love that place too. This was a disaster. The waiter tried, but the whole experience felt way off.

In general, when alone I tend to just nibble my way through the day with counter service meals and lotsa snacks. :slurp:

Upvote 0

jhopkins213

Im staying for five nights on the DDP and I'm only doing two completely alone.. Kona and The Plaza on Main Street so I think those will be great to eat at by myself. Im doing Teppan Edo and Hoop dee doo Revue with friends that I'll be meeting up with.

I can't believe the hostess said something to you like that at LeCellier..

I'm 31 and have gone the past three years solo and book a Table Dinner every night. No one cares your alone trust me. In fact I have gotten better service and sometimes I have older couples trying to adopt me or have very lovely conversations. But I'm an Independent outgoing person so your milage will vary. As far as in the parks no one bats an I that your alone. The only freak part is when a child grabs my hand thinking I'm there dad most parents just laugh and smile.Last trip when I was in the stretching room at HM a lady thought I was her husband and rested her head on my chest. Her husband thought it was hilarious I froze and was like that for the whole scene. Enjoy yourself and have fun. Also whats fun is taking tours our group meals like Dine with an imagineer.

Upvote 0

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I'm so happy for you....I have done three solo trips, each one a little longer, and hope to do one every year or so. I love going with my family, my husband and my friends...but so love the freedom of going alone. I love having my own agenda, my own everything....and my own reflection. I feel very comfortable eating alone at WDW....so I would just suggest...go anywhere you want to!

I love to go to Boma breakfast. I love that restaurant. The service is always top notch, the food always good and it is sooooo beautiful at AKL.

Embrace being your own person and do not worry a bit about anything while dining alone...choose what you want without worrying about whether or not it is okay to be alone. I have even gone to Crystal Palace alone...with the characters approaching me. It's not my public so who's gonna think it's strange to see a solo diner there...or to judge me? :p

I don't really have any tips to offer...just go and have fun. I love going alone to photograph anything I want and not worry if I am holding up the group. I have met some great people who either look at me like I am kind of a lost soul with a little pity in their looks or who are totally envious of me for being by myself and they totally get it. I love being able to really cruise through the parks, getting through the crowds much quicker, take the single line on some attractions, get up early or get a later start. Eat popcorn for breakfast. Eat nothing but desserts most of the day, crash at the resort early and blow off going to the parks at night if I choose to. Really, just do what you want. No safer place to be...no worrying about anything. I will often just sit and people watch while I relax or plan my next course of action. If you're uncomfortable with the fact that you're alone, pop a book in your bag for meals, or edit your photos.

ENJOY!

I agree with all the above....just got back from a 9 day solo trip myself! I've taken at least 15 solo trips over the last 10 years, most being 7 days at a time. I've met many great people to talk to on Disney transport (bus, monorail and boat), both guests and CM's. I love taking photos and video also, and being solo really helps. I've also connected with some wonderful people on these forums and from other internet sites. Some of them have become really good friends and wouldn't consider going to WDW without connecting with them at least once during the trip. You should have a ball....I always do!

And by the way....I usually always get in a 10 day trip with my wife and two daughters during the course of the year too! Lucky me...the best of both worlds. (Obviously, I'm the Disney freak in the family!)

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

There have been some great tips here so far!

I've done about 5 solo trips so far. They are always fun. I will definitely do them again.

You said you'll be dining at The Plaza. That was one of my favorite restaurants dining solo. I will never forget (I have pics!) eating my meatloaf dinner at a window table with a view of the castle directly in front of me. The only thing better was the ice cream sundae I had for dessert. Good choice of restaurant.

I've also had very good experiences at Yak and Yeti in AK. I've eaten there several times solo. I love the decor. The waitstaff has always been super friendly and made conversation with me.

I'd also recommend eating at a bar a couple times. Bluezoo at The Dolphin has amazing food (expensive). It's very chic, has great drinks and the bar staff is very friendly.

Same goes for The Wave at the Contemporary. I had dinner at the bar and it was awesome. Bartenders are friendly. You can talk to other guests. It's just a fun atmosphere to eat at their bar.

The only place I got ed off was Brown Derby. It was half empty and they made me wait 20 min before I finally walked out. Not sure if because I was solo or because they are very unorganized and inefficient.

I love having the feeling that the parks are mine when I'm solo. I feel like I can do whatever I want and whenever. It's my personal playground. Thats a fun feeling.

Also I can choose whichever park whenever I want. No compromises. Eat what you want when you want. Ride an attraction two, three times if you want. (Before x pass comes around anyway) You will feel like you own the parks.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

I've done about 5 solo trips so far. They are always fun. I will definitely do them again.

You said you'll be dining at The Plaza. That was one of my favorite restaurants dining solo. I will never forget (I have pics!) eating my meatloaf dinner at a window table with a view of the castle directly in front of me. The only thing better was the ice cream sundae I had for dessert. Good choice of restaurant.

I've also had very good experiences at Yak and Yeti in AK. I've eaten there several times solo. I love the decor. The waitstaff has always been super friendly and made conversation with me.

I'd also recommend eating at a bar a couple times. Bluezoo at The Dolphin has amazing food (expensive). It's very chic, has great drinks and the bar staff is very friendly.

Same goes for The Wave at the Contemporary. I had dinner at the bar and it was awesome. Bartenders are friendly. You can talk to other guests. It's just a fun atmosphere to eat at their bar.

The only place I got ed off was Brown Derby. It was half empty and they made me wait 20 min before I finally walked out. Not sure if because I was solo or because they are very unorganized and inefficient.
I love having the feeling that the parks are mine when I'm solo. I feel like I can do whatever I want and whenever. It's my personal playground. Thats a fun feeling.

Also I can choose whichever park whenever I want. No compromises. Eat what you want when you want. Ride an attraction two, three times if you want. (Before x pass comes around anyway) You will feel like you own the parks.

Have a great time!

This is the main reason I hate the Brown Derby. They have the most inefficient front of house staff on WDW property. I've experienced that same issue, both solo and with other people. They're just SLOW. The place could be empty and you'd still be handed that little pager and told to have a seat. The managers are constantly walking around with those little white portable seating charts diligently marking down empty tables, yet no one ever seems to get seated.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I may have skimmed over this suggestion above, but I'd suggest taking a tour. I took Keys to the Kingdom on my first solo trip and it was fantastic.

Other than that, I just do things I wouldn't normally do with other people. Last month, I took the time to wander around the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. I'd never been to either. I split my trip and stayed in 3 different hotels (one of them at Universal :eek:) to experience more of the resorts. I'd sit and listen to the Innoventions loop for 20 minutes while waiting for the Jammitors to come out. I took my time in One Man's Dream. At Universal, I rode the new Harry Potter ride 4 times, walked around Hogsmeade for 3 hours taking pictures, and took my time going through the castle queue a few times to take pictures in there as well. I spent almost 6 hours in HP alone between the two days I was there.

Just silly little things that made me happy, but would have annoyed the heck out of anyone I was traveling with :lol:

For restaurants, I've only eaten at Sci Fi and Le Cellier alone, and they've both been fantastic every time. I usually just snack my way through the trip, though.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster

Have a great time!

Thanks so much for the advice! I am glad I picked the Plaza.. it'll be a first dining there and I read all great reviews on the place. I am really looking forward to this trip on my own.. (besides the few times I'll be meeting up with a friend). I am an early riser when in WDW, so I can wake up at 6am if I want and head out to the parks. I have been wanting this kind of trip for so long, and I just never got around to doing it.. now, 4 years since my last trip to the world, its finally happening! :D

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
I agree with all the above....just got back from a 9 day solo trip myself! I've taken at least 15 solo trips over the last 10 years, most being 7 days at a time. I've met many great people to talk to on Disney transport (bus, monorail and boat), both guests and CM's. I love taking photos and video also, and being solo really helps. I've also connected with some wonderful people on these forums and from other internet sites. Some of them have become really good friends and wouldn't consider going to WDW without connecting with them at least once during the trip. You should have a ball....I always do!

And by the way....I usually always get in a 10 day trip with my wife and two daughters during the course of the year too! Lucky me...the best of both worlds. (Obviously, I'm the Disney freak in the family!)

Wow thats awesome! Where did you stay? I get more and more excited everytime I read of someone elses solo experiences! :D

Upvote 0

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Wow thats awesome! Where did you stay? I get more and more excited everytime I read of someone elses solo experiences! :D

This past trip I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House, on the 5th floor DVC Deluxe Studio. I had booked a standard view, but was upgraded to a savanna view for no additional points per night (I'm a DVC member). The savanna view I had was quite quiet (in regards to animals). No complaints from me though, as I had expected to be looking out at a parking lot or garden, so the animals that did come my way were a bonus. On other solo trips, I've stayed at Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village and Wilderness Lodge (all on DVC points), and when I've paid cash, I usually stay at a Value, as I'm hardly ever in the room. When dining alone (at a table serve), I would usually pick a restaurant where you could eat at the bar. Our family operated a nightclub and restaurant for over 25 years (I bartended many of those years), so I always like chatting with the bartenders and bar staff. I would generally eat before or after the rush, so the bar staff was not so busy and you could end up having some really good conversations with them. As a said before, you should have a ball. Having the opportunity to travel solo is really a treat....being able to change your mind at a moments notice is something few WDW visitors are able to do. My favorite thing to do is to arrive early at the MK, get a cup of coffee from the bakery, and position myself on a bench either up on the railroad platform overlooking Main Street, or on a bench near the hub, and enjoy watching everyone start their days. Everyone is usually really happy (including the young ones), which in turn, puts a smile on your face. Enjoy your trip :)

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Original Poster
This past trip I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House, on the 5th floor DVC Deluxe Studio. I had booked a standard view, but was upgraded to a savanna view for no additional points per night (I'm a DVC member). The savanna view I had was quite quiet (in regards to animals). No complaints from me though, as I had expected to be looking out at a parking lot or garden, so the animals that did come my way were a bonus. On other solo trips, I've stayed at Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village and Wilderness Lodge (all on DVC points), and when I've paid cash, I usually stay at a Value, as I'm hardly ever in the room. When dining alone (at a table serve), I would usually pick a restaurant where you could eat at the bar. Our family operated a nightclub and restaurant for over 25 years (I bartended many of those years), so I always like chatting with the bartenders and bar staff. I would generally eat before or after the rush, so the bar staff was not so busy and you could end up having some really good conversations with them. As a said before, you should have a ball. Having the opportunity to travel solo is really a treat....being able to change your mind at a moments notice is something few WDW visitors are able to do. My favorite thing to do is to arrive early at the MK, get a cup of coffee from the bakery, and position myself on a bench either up on the railroad platform overlooking Main Street, or on a bench near the hub, and enjoy watching everyone start their days. Everyone is usually really happy (including the young ones), which in turn, puts a smile on your face. Enjoy your trip :)

Wow that sounds so nice staying at AKLV and getting the upgrade. I am staying at my favorite, Port Orleans French Quarter, garden view room.. even when that hotel is booked up it is so quiet. I absolutely love it there and its so beautiful. I think I will be doing as you said, getting to MK early and stop at the bakery and sit down for a little while.. sounds so relaxing! Its seems like every trip to wdw with the family, we always talk about taking our time and relaxing more before our trip and then we get there and its like a mad dash to get to everything and its exhausting! So I am really looking forward to being alone for most of my trip anyway.. like I said, I am meeting with a friend whos staying at BLT and we have some meals planned together.

I see you are leaving for another trip in May.. is this one with family? How great to go solo and come home knowing you are going right back soon again!

Upvote 0

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I see you are leaving for another trip in May.. is this one with family? How great to go solo and come home knowing you are going right back soon again!

I'm flying into Columbia SC on April 30 to meet my youngest (19)...she's a freshman at Univ South Carolina....to help her get her stuff into storage. Her last final is Wed, May 2 at 9am. Immediately following (around 10), we're jumping into her car and heading for WDW for a 6 night stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village (savanna view...yay). She hasn't been on any Disney family trips for 3 years (she was very busy with school), so this will be her first visit since 2009. We both love the parks, whereas my wife and older daughter (22), like to hang at the pool. They like the parks too, just not like we do. Following our 6 nights, we'll be making the long drive back to Maine (1452 miles from Disney to Saco, Maine). We'll all be back in late November, early December for a week during the taping of the Christmas parade. Last year, 3 of us made our very first trip during the Christmas season and saw lots of the taping in front of the castle (Jen Hudson, Ceelo Green and Justin Bieber). Had so much fun, we're going back this year. I might also get in a solo trip for the Epcot 30th Anniversary on Oct 1. WDW Celebrations is hosting another 4 day event, much like the MK 40th event last October. Met lots of great people at that gathering (there were close to 250 people registered). Kevin Yee also has a weekly meet (anywhere from a dozen up to 40 people each week), celebrating Epcots 30th. He also did 40 weeks of meets last year celebrating the MK's 40th (that's where I met them all). I keep in constant contact with this group of people. They meet every Sunday in the hall behind Club Cool (at 2pm) and visit one of 30 different attractions at Epcot, leading up to the final meet on Epcot's Anniversary in October. WDW Celebrations can be found online and Kevin Yee has a FaceBook group you could join. There are lots of other groups to connect with too! That's what's great about the WDW fan community, there are lots of people just like us, crazy about Disney...and just like the Disney CM's, they welcome you with open arms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom