Just a thought

floridabill

Original Poster
Does anyone ever wonder why disney world gets stiffed for anniversary?? but disneyland gets all these special events??

As Disneyland Celebrates 55, a look back at 50 and 45
Disneyland celebrates its 55th birthday Saturday, July 17th. Here's a look back at some of our coverage of Disneyland's last 2 milestones birthdays:

05-05-05 50th Kickoff
July 17, 2005 50th Birthday
45th Birthday Kickoff
July 17, 2000 45th Birthday
Magical Memories - Disney personalities and LP Readers share their favorite Disneyland memories.

I know disneyland came first...but in my opinion disney world should get the same treatment! it's there biggest most successful destination, there 40th is what next year I believe and they aren't doing anything special! :brick:

nepalostparks

I think the short answer is this:

Disneyland relies more on repeat visits from local and regional tourism, while Disney World is more of a destination, drawing from a much larger base. Disneyland needs to keep having special events, adding/changing attractions, etc. in order to make it worth a repeat visits. Since Disney World is often a once in a lifetime (or at least a one in a decade-plus visit) for a number of visitors, they don't need to hold as many special events or continually add/change attractions simply because they don't have to in order to draw in the crowds.

Does it stink for those of us who visit on a more regular basis? Absolutely. I wish Disney World put a little more effort into the bigger anniversaries. But I understand why they don't.

Mukta

Disneyland relies more on repeat visits from local and regional tourism, while Disney World is more of a destination, drawing from a much larger base. Disneyland needs to keep having special events, adding/changing attractions, etc. in order to make it worth a repeat visits. Since Disney World is often a once in a lifetime (or at least a one in a decade-plus visit) for a number of visitors, they don't need to hold as many special events or continually add/change attractions because they don't need to.

So true. As a Disneyland local, I visit weekly. If they didn't have these constant celebrations and subtle changes, visits would get stale for a lot of locals.
The whole Disneyland Resort is so small and everything is close together. WDW is more of a city. Very different mood and feel.
I'll go to DL every year on its birthday just to visit. For locals, it is an icon that is part of our regular lives, not a vacation destination.

floridabill

Original Poster

Disneyland relies more on repeat visits from local and regional tourism, while Disney World is more of a destination, drawing from a much larger base. Disneyland needs to keep having special events, adding/changing attractions, etc. in order to make it worth a repeat visits. Since Disney World is often a once in a lifetime (or at least a one in a decade-plus visit) for a number of visitors, they don't need to hold as many special events or continually add/change attractions simply because they don't have to in order to draw in the crowds.

Does it stink for those of us who visit on a more regular basis? Absolutely. I wish Disney World put a little more effort into the bigger anniversaries. But I understand why they don't.

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense! well hopefully disney world does something big for there 45th or 50th.

Rob562

Apparently we've forgotten when the castle was turned into a giant cake for their 25th... :lookaroun

-Rob

trr1

remember the castle cake:eek:

Bluewaves

If the castle cake was what WDW plans for a birthday celebration they can just forget about it and spend the money on anything else and not do any celebration whatsoever.

crazgurl

Unfortunately. If that's the caliber of what Disney World/Magic Kingdom is going to get for the 40th and 45th, I hope they just save up the dough and do somethin' a little nicer for the 50th. :lookaroun

A gold castle for their golden anniversary would be MUCH better than the cake - although when I saw the cake at age 10 I thought it was the coolest thing ever.... :lookaroun:p

C&D

The 'Cake' was good, once; I'm sure WDW will come up with something just as good, but different.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The 'Cake' was good, once; I'm sure WDW will come up with something just as good, but different.

Sorry...I have to disagree. I thought the cake was HORRIBLE. It totally ruined the forced perspective of the castle.

The castle went from awe inspiring to is THAT?

DABIGCHEEZ

I personally had no problems with the cake...sort of gave me something to look at other than the same castle every year. I can't wait to see if they come up with something to upset the fan crazies. Perhaps the Hat in DHS can be changed to a party style birthday hat for one of DHS's birthdays in the future.

Erika

I personally had no problems with the cake...sort of gave me something to look at other than the same castle every year. I can't wait to see if they come up with something to upset the fan crazies. Perhaps the Hat in DHS can be changed to a party style birthday hat for one of DHS's birthdays in the future.

That's probably what makes the difference- those of us who don't get there very often can't wait to see the castle. It's a highlight. I haven't been since 2003 and my next trip probably won't be for another few years, and this time with 2 little ones- if there's a cake where a castle should be I just might reschedule the whole dang thing :ROFLOL:

crazgurl

:ROFLOL: for some reason, that idea just makes me smile

harveyt0206

That's probably what makes the difference- those of us who don't get there very often can't wait to see the castle. It's a highlight. I haven't been since 2003 and my next trip probably won't be for another few years, and this time with 2 little ones- if there's a cake where a castle should be I just might reschedule the whole dang thing :ROFLOL:

I did not go during the cake fiasco, and I too only get to go to Disney every so often, so I can absolutely understand this perspective. I think 2011-2012 is going to be an interesting time for WDW. With their 40th and the FL expansion on deck, they could really make it interesting for the fans. I am hoping to convince hubby that we need to go in the fall of 2011 AND 2012 just in case there are special events, etc... But, even if they don't do anything major for their 40th, the FL expansion is enough to make me show up in 2012.

But I will put this out into the universe now and hope the Disney gods pick it up: Please don't turn the casltle into some crazy cake creation for the 40th anniversary. That is all. Amen.

mp2bill

Apparently we've forgotten when the castle was turned into a giant cake for their 25th... :lookaroun

-Rob

I was there for that, and I thought it was awesome cuz it was such a huge difference in the way it looked. However, their 25th was the only one they did anything big for, correct?

I too would like to see something (doesn't have to be huge) done for every 10 year anniversary at WDW (as well as multiples of 25 anniversaries).

mp2bill

I agree with this synopsis.

puntagordabob

Yeah...the WDW local base gets shafted every time.... maybe some at TDO are starting to see some merit to changing that we can all hope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom