Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

lebeau

I put Hulk (you get in a car to be blasted with gama rays) has a similar amount of story to RnR (take a limo to the gig). but most people rank RnR as the better experience mainly because it is indoors and has a full pre-show.

and I'm not really saying whether there is more or less theming on Everest vs Hulk (although Everest has a lot more), its more that Disney default to using a train theme on a train. But Universal pick out the hardware that helps tell a story.
Its almost like Disney want to build a coaster and then work out how to hide that it is a coaster (make it a train or put it in a box).
Whereas Universal either accept it is a coaster somewhat (Hulk, Rip Ride) or they work out the story they wish to tell and then find the best hardware to do it with (Gringotts, Hagrid, to some extent The Mummy).

RnR doesn't do it for me. It's like a tamed down version of Kings Island's Flight of Fear. FoF is an indoor launched coaster with an alien theme. It has four inversions to RnR's three and comes to a stop mid-way through the ride. It's just all around more intense than RnR. The theming isn't as technologically sophisticated. There's no celebrity holograms. But you enter through a government warehouse built around a giant flying saucer which you enter. Sorry, Disney. Flight of Fear is just cooler. And it was built years before RnR so I think you already knew that.

Bairstow

RnR doesn't do it for me. It's like a tamed down version of Kings Island's Flight of Fear. FoF is an indoor launched coaster with an alien theme. It has four inversions to RnR's three and comes to a stop mid-way through the ride. It's just all around more intense than RnR. The theming isn't as technologically sophisticated. There's no celebrity holograms. But you enter through a government warehouse built around a giant flying saucer which you enter. Sorry, Disney. Flight of Fear is just cooler. And it was built years before RnR so I think you already knew that.

To say that Flight of Fear's themeing isn't as "technologically sophisticated" as Rockin Rollercoaster's is putting it very lightly. I've ridden both the King's Island and Kings Dominion versions and they're both pretty ramshackle at this point.
The in-station launch is nice and all but overall the Premiere restraints are uncomfortable and the overall experience is unpleasant.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but the Parisian version of Space Mountain is older and better-themed than either.

lebeau

To say that Flight of Fear's themeing isn't as "technologically sophisticated" as Rockin Rollercoaster's is putting it very lightly. I've ridden both the King's Island and Kings Dominion versions and they're both pretty ramshackle at this point.
The in-station launch is nice and all but overall the Premiere restraints are uncomfortable and the overall experience is unpleasant.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but the Parisian version of Space Mountain is older and better-themed than either.

KI got new restraints a few years back that are more comfortable than the old ones. But yeah, it will beat you up more than RnR. A couple/few years ago Flight of Fear caught fire and closed for much of the season. Many thought it was done for. I'll be surprised if it's still there in 10 years. Some of the effects are a bit run down, admittedly. The mirrors in the queue used to give the effect of a full flying saucer in an expansive warehouse. Now they are pretty obvious but the effect is still cool for a regional amusement park. The queue used to be a lot darker than it is now but guests misbehaved so now the lights are on.

Still, if both rides were side by side, I'd run to Flight of Fear before I would RnR.

BubbaisSleep

?!

You’re bizarrely emotional over this, and you’re making a ton of false assumptions about me. I simply don’t think this is a smart business decision for Universal because it doesn’t help them rationalize a theme park vacation at a premium price. But Universal clearly disagrees with me on what’ll be successful for them (in multiple regards), so best of luck to them!
Assumptions? I literally just went off your very clear responses, telling people what to do and defining what art is to people. It was rude moment whether you realized or not. You can’t insult people then go “you’re bizarrely emotional.” Many here are providing facts to your claims and having a civil conversation with you. I even posted a video for you to check out. At some point it just feels like you’re here to antagonize & not listen. I love roller coasters, especially well-themed ones, and there’s a big audience for them as well just like there is for dark rides. I’m sure you have rides you’re passionate about too. We all do that’s why we’re here.

But yeah... this coaster will be stacked. I even learned some new things about this coaster from other responses on this thread. Very excited to see this thing grow! I hope the raptors are running with us on each side during one of the launches.

JT3000

@egg There will be lots of theming elements, just none of it will be used to try and hide the track. There will be rock work, a water feature, JW style electric fencing, JW style buildings, and show scenes with screens and at least one AA.

I still don't understand where they're going with giving both the Raptor Encounter and this a Jurassic World aesthetic. It makes no sense unless they're going to fast track a switchover for the rest of the land as well. JP and JW can't just overlap. They exist at different times in the canon. :bored:

Disneyhead'71

I still don't understand where they're going with giving both the Raptor Encounter and this a Jurassic World aesthetic. It makes no sense unless they're going to fast track a switchover for the rest of the land as well. JP and JW can't just overlap. They exist at different times in the canon. :bored:
All that bad stuff from the films happened at the Isla Nublar Resort. The park represented at IOA is Isla Aventura, which is a sister resort like HKDL is to Disneyland Resort.

Fortunately, Isla Aventura has been mostly unaffected by the tragic situation that happened on Isla Nublar. And other than the one incident on the River Adventure attraction, Isla Aventura has been in successful operation the whole time.

Tom Morrow

All that bad stuff from the films happened at the Isla Nublar Resort. The park represented at IOA is Isla Aventura, which is a sister resort like HKDL is to Disneyland Resort.

Fortunately, Isla Aventura has been mostly unaffected by the tragic situation that happened on Isla Nublar. And other than the one incident on the River Adventure attraction, Isla Aventura has been in successful operation the whole time.
I never knew this. I always thought it was an alternate timeline Isla Nublar where the park actually opened. Where is this backstory conveyed?

JT3000

I already knew all this. It still doesn't explain the sudden change in aesthetic unless there's a full retheme coming. It'll be even worse if they start including stronger elements of JW, like Chris Pratt, or even the JW name itself, but only in certain parts of the land.

Jon81uk

The theming of the Paris RnR is significantly worse than Orlando though in that the pre-show breaks the theme that it sets up. The premise is we built a rollercoaster. Whereas Orlando is that you were due to meet Aerosmith and they had to go to a gig so get in a Limo to follow them. But in Paris you see a coaster in the pre-show video, so when you then go "out back" and see a limo none of it thematically makes sense!

Disneyhead'71

I already knew all this. It still doesn't explain the sudden change in aesthetic unless there's a full retheme coming. It'll be even worse if they start including stronger elements of JW, like Chris Pratt, or even the JW name itself, but only in certain parts of the land.
I do believe there will be an entire land retheme. Coke Oasis is supposed to become "Isla Nu Bar" with tropical drinks in plastic Tiki glasses. I believe there will be signage changes and a general accent color change to blue around the land. And never fear, Prattman will save the day in the big new raptor coaster.

What we won't be getting at this point is the JW redo to the JPRA that Hollywood received last year. I wonder if they will change the name though. Maybe just call it The Jurassic River Adventure.

Bairstow

The theming of the Paris RnR is significantly worse than Orlando though in that the pre-show breaks the theme that it sets up. The premise is we built a rollercoaster. Whereas Orlando is that you were due to meet Aerosmith and they had to go to a gig so get in a Limo to follow them. But in Paris you see a coaster in the pre-show video, so when you then go "out back" and see a limo none of it thematically makes sense!
I meant their version of Space Mountain, particularly before the Star Wars stuff was added. That was one of the earlier indoor launched coasters.

Tom Morrow

You didn't ride in a limo in the Paris version. The premise was that they created the ultimate rock n roll experience by combining the experience of a rock concert with a roller coaster.

I never rode the Paris version, but to me the dynamic light shows, which were unique to each vehicle, seemed preferable to the flat cutout scenery of the DHS version.

No Name

Missed the notification.
Assumptions? I literally just went off your very clear responses, telling people what to do and defining what art is to people. It was rude moment whether you realized or not. You can’t insult people then go “you’re bizarrely emotional.” Many here are providing facts to your claims and having a civil conversation with you.

1. I never told anyone what to do.
2. I never defined what art is to people.
3. I never was rude.
4. I never insulted a single person.

I’m just arguing that this will not work well business-wise for Universal, with facts and logic. Ironically, I’m the biggest proponent of the idea that art is subjective. Perhaps reconsider who is being civil here.

No Name

I never rode the Paris version, but to me the dynamic light shows, which were unique to each vehicle, seemed preferable to the flat cutout scenery of the DHS version.

I’m my opinion, the story of the Paris version was ridiculously stupid regardless of how “immersive” it was, and the DHS one is much better.

Jon81uk

You didn't ride in a limo in the Paris version. The premise was that they created the ultimate rock n roll experience by combining the experience of a rock concert with a roller coaster.

Having now looked at pictures they do appear to be limos with stuff stuck onto them. But the story still doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, why are you there, why did Aerosmith make a rollercoaster?
Orlando its simple, you are having a tour of a record studio, but Aerosmith need to go to a gig, now follow them.

Yes the experience once the coaster is moving might be better (I can't really recall it from Paris) but the pre-show makes no sense really. Almost would have been better with no pre-show at all as my memory of the coaster is just how weird the pre-show is and how little sense it makes to set up a story compared to Orlando.

Basically a good ride can be ruined with a bad pre-show and theme. Same as a good concept can be ruined with a bad ride (Test Track 2.0).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom