Jungle Cruise Update

WEDfan9798

Just watched the first episode of Behind the Attraction today. Love all the old footage. I’ve seen most of it but imagine it’s the first time seeing a lot of that for many non die hards.

Honestly made me remember how much better of a finale Trader Sam is to the dumb new lost and found. It was one of those signature funny/ macabre Disney things that still Managed to be suitable entertainment for the whole family. It’s one of those things that you kind of take for granted when it’s there and only realize how important it was after it (and all skulls, natives etc) are gone and your left with much more of one dimensional ride. Does it vastly change the core experience? No. But Disneyland is all about the small things. Those wonderful things that we may not even notice but only feel on a subconscious level. And for me this “new” Jungle Cruise is just another example of declining by degrees. Of course Jungle Cruise will always be great for me as long as the Jungle and the elephant bathing pool are still there.

Anyway, all they had to do was put a mask on him and problem solved. But the ridiculous inclusion committee wrecking crew decided he and all the skulls in Adventureland had to go. Seriously , the hanging man in HM is toast unless this country makes a hard right.
Yeah, I get that they're trying to be inclusive and not perpetuate harmful stereotypes, but I think the edge of the ride could still work, even if they took out the headhunters and used a different threat instead.

October82

Just watched the first episode of Behind the Attraction today. Love all the old footage. I’ve seen most of it but imagine it’s the first time seeing a lot of that for many non die hards.

Honestly made me remember how much better of a finale Trader Sam is to the dumb new lost and found. It was one of those signature funny/ macabre Disney things that still Managed to be suitable entertainment for the whole family. It’s one of those things that you kind of take for granted when it’s there and only realize how important it was after it (and all skulls, natives etc) are gone and your left with much more of one dimensional ride. Does it vastly change the core experience? No. But Disneyland is all about the small things. Those wonderful things that we may not even notice but only feel on a subconscious level. And for me this “new” Jungle Cruise is just another example of declining by degrees. Of course Jungle Cruise will always be great for me as long as the Jungle and the elephant bathing pool are still there.

Anyway, all they had to do was put a mask on him and problem solved. But the ridiculous inclusion committee wrecking crew decided he and all the skulls in Adventureland had to go. Seriously , the hanging man in HM is toast unless this country makes a hard right.

I think we should be able to agree why certain portrayals in Adventureland were potentially problematic. It wasn't that they were macabre, so why do you think the 'hanging man in the HM' could be an issue?

mickEblu

I think we should be able to agree why certain portrayals in Adventureland were potentially problematic. It wasn't that they were macabre, so why do you think the 'hanging man in the HM' could be an issue?

Because it’s insensitive to people who have mental issues and are contemplating suicide. I mean is it that far fetched? They removed “ladies and gentlemen…” from the beginning of the parade announcement to not offend a possible 12.5 people who would be offended by it. Anything is fair game now.

Cmon my man, you know that I didn’t mean those things were removed because they were macabre. They were removed because they were “problematic/ stereotypes.” Unfortunately they also happened to be the macabre/ danger elements in the ride that have since been replaced with monkeys. Not sure why they weren’t replaced with some other element of danger. It’s just WDI WDI’ing I guess. WDI gon WDI 🤷🏻‍♂️

October82

Because it’s insensitive to people who have mental issues and are contemplating suicide. I mean is it that far fetched? They removed “ladies and gentlemen…” from the beginning of the parade announcement. Anything is fair game now.

Cmon my man, you know that I didn’t mean those things were removed because they were macabre. They were removed because they were “problematic/ stereotypes.” Unfortunately they were also happened to be the macabre/ danger elements in the ride that have since been replaced with monkeys. Not sure why they weren’t replaced with some other element of danger. It’s just WDI WDI’ing I guess.

I could see attractions like the Haunted Mansion gaining content warning signs, but there's a difference between attractions that play off racialized stereotypes and attractions that have potentially objectionable content. This is one of the challenges in talking about these issues - people think the reasons why there are issues with sports team names or theme park ride scenes is that they are "offensive". Which is an oversimplification of what companies are concerned about. They're worried about liability, either legally or for the value of their brand.

mickEblu

I could see attractions like the Haunted Mansion gaining content warning signs, but there's a difference between attractions that play off racialized stereotypes and attractions that have potentially objectionable content. This is one of the challenges in talking about these issues - people think the reasons why there are issues with sports team names or theme park ride scenes is that they are "offensive". Which is an oversimplification of what companies are concerned about. They're worried about liability, either legally or for the value of their brand.

So do you think the ladies and gentlemen announcement is potentially more of a liability issue than the hanging corpse in the Haunted Mansion?

Professortango1

I always thought due to head hunters/cannibalism idea. For pirates and mansion they were mainly decayed over some time.
Exactly. One is saying "pirates are murderers and meet deadly ends" and the other says "natives peoples are savages who consume human flesh and are essentially monsters."

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Exactly. One is saying "pirates are murderers and meet deadly ends" and the other says "natives peoples are savages who consume human flesh and are essentially monsters."

It’s for this reason that while I personally understand and even appreciate the delicate nature of the Jungle Cruise changes, I still think the changes to “humanize” the Pirates ( “Redd’s Chicken auction”) were really unnecessary given the intended lore/message of the ride, in addition to being poorly executed. If POTC is a cautionary tale in reverse the attraction serves as an antithesis of any kind of tacit endorsement of the behavior of the Pirates themselves.

Even Splash Mountain I can get behind since it’s an antiquated property that most younger generations born post-VHS era don’t relate to.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"New! Mobile Order a Trader Sam’s Souvenir Mug

On Friday, July 30, souvenir mugs inspired by the world-famous Jungle Cruise attraction will be available for a limited time with this special Trader Sam’s Mug Release at the Disneyland Hotel. These uniquely designed mugs can only be purchased via mobile order from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. that day only on the Disneyland app, while supplies last. Snag a special edition mug (limit of one per transaction), the first edition mug (limit of 2 per transaction), or both!***"

DanielBB8

First Jungle Cruise movie tie-ins added to the queue, and I doubt they'll be the last:
They need to add Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in the attraction. The new version is boring. The jokes are lame and don't land. Anyways, the movie itself is likely to flop. It wasn't well reviewed. It is lesser version of The Mummy without Brendan Fraser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom