Jungle Cruise Update

Zorro

I refuse to recognize any back story unless Spin and Marty are involved.
xspinm3_last,P20push_0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T0gXlLDbQU.jpg

Californian Elitist

Did you read either of the articles I linked to? Trader Sam is supposedly a bisexual Back South American headhunting bar owner who was friends with Teddy Roosevelt, Indiana Jones, The Swiss Family Robinson, Captain Jack Sparrow (and his mother), and Walt Disney while also a member of an organization known as the Adventurers Club, which is a splinter-faction of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers which was founded by S.E.A.-member Merriweather Adam Pleasure. He has authored several books under the pen name, ”T.S.”, most of which can be found in the Skipper‘s Canteen.

That’s not a backstory?
Wow.

Anyways, I read one of them and it was mostly about the history of tiki bars and the company’s idea to build a themed tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel. I’d have to find something officially written by Disney, but I most likely won’t look anything up anytime soon.

Brer Oswald

I think it’s irrelevant whether or not the bar has a backstory. The bar is based around the character in the ride, and if the character in the ride is inappropriate, what does that say about the bar?

Many will say it’s just a name, but there are many references to the ride character in the bar, and the aforementioned backstory connects it even further (rather than separating it). There’s multiple approaches to this. Change the name (Trader Falls?). Create a new Trader Sam. But doing nothing because “the bar makes money” isn’t a calculated move.

aliceismad

I assume the Natives aren't included, any representation of Trader Sam or the Men on the pole?
This is the blurb from ShopDisney. Apparently the game came out a year or two ago. There's also a villains game, which I'd seen before and has spawned some expansion packs, etc., and a haunted mansion game.

1617813592396.png

_caleb

I think it’s irrelevant whether or not the bar has a backstory. The bar is based around the character in the ride, and if the character in the ride is inappropriate, what does that say about the bar?

Many will say it’s just a name, but there are many references to the ride character in the bar, and the aforementioned backstory connects it even further (rather than separating it). There’s multiple approaches to this. Change the name (Trader Falls?). Create a new Trader Sam. But doing nothing because “the bar makes money” isn’t a calculated move.
Yeah, I think they’re going to try to change the character (well, actually create a “Trader Sam” character) so the bar can keep the name, lean into the S.E.A, stuff, and avoid controversy.

Basically pretend the AA from the ride never happened.

el_super

There is a lot more nuance to this, that I am sure I am going to miss, but I think it's important to remember that character depictions in a themed restaurant and within an attraction are two very different mediums and provide very different contexts. So both things can be true: that the depiction of Trader Sam within the Jungle Cruise is not appropriate, and that the same depiction of Trader Sam within the bar is appropriate.

Within the context of a theme park ride, when you only see a character for only a few seconds, there is not enough time to setup a proper backstory and context for why that character is there, what they are doing, why their appearance is appropriate and also have some payoff. For Trader Sam in the Jungle Cruise, he is depicted as a native headhunter (ie Murderer) and one of the many dangers of the jungle. His depiction in Disneyland as a black man, like the natives, is making the unfair association between unease and danger with a specific type of person. It relies on stereotype and prejudices built into the audience for decades, because it is the easiest way to convey a feeling or emotion QUICKLY (within 7 seconds).

At the Enchanted Tiki Bar though, Sam was given more of a backstory and more context. Instead of being a danger, he is portrayed as a successful business owner. He has many different clients and relationships that enforce a normal functioning adult (ie Not a Murderer). The Tiki Bar is itself a tells a very different story in that the dangers of the bar are exaggerated in way meant not to seem as real as the dangers of the Jungle Cruise. It's a fantasy. It's a cartoon. And unlike the Jungle Cruise, in this cartoon everyone is having a good time.

Does the new story of the Tiki Bar absolve the Jungle Cruise of the original depiction? I tend to think it doesn't. Is the new story of the Tiki Bar itself above any form of additional examination or criticism? Absolutely not. It just shows that there was an attempt to evolve the character design of Trader Sam forward, and was one of many little steps in trying to "fix" the problems with the Jungle Cruise. If I remember right the debut of the Tiki Bar was also the point when Trader Sam's mask was removed in the actual ride, and Trader Sam became a person again.

BayouShack

I wanted to drop in fact I learned on twitter yesterday. Apparently the original ride ended with a giraffe, Trader Sam was one of the earlier editions, but still not “original” to the ride. I doubt it will appease the people upset, but it throws a wrench in the whole “purist” argument.

Brer Oswald

Yeah, I think they’re going to try to change the character (well, actually create a “Trader Sam” character) so the bar can keep the name, lean into the S.E.A, stuff, and avoid controversy.

Basically pretend the AA from the ride never happened.
That’s probably the best idea. Maybe I’m incorrect, but the name might be okay? I just don’t think the way they’ve presented the head hunting/shrunken heads is okay.

There is a lot more nuance to this, that I am sure I am going to miss, but I think it's important to remember that character depictions in a themed restaurant and within an attraction are two very different mediums and provide very different contexts. So both things can be true: that the depiction of Trader Sam within the Jungle Cruise is not appropriate, and that the same depiction of Trader Sam within the bar is appropriate.

Within the context of a theme park ride, when you only see a character for only a few seconds, there is not enough time to setup a proper backstory and context for why that character is there, what they are doing, why their appearance is appropriate and also have some payoff. For Trader Sam in the Jungle Cruise, he is depicted as a native headhunter (ie Murderer) and one of the many dangers of the jungle. His depiction in Disneyland as a black man, like the natives, is making the unfair association between unease and danger with a specific type of person. It relies on stereotype and prejudices built into the audience for decades, because it is the easiest way to convey a feeling or emotion QUICKLY (within 7 seconds).

At the Enchanted Tiki Bar though, Sam was given more of a backstory and more context. Instead of being a danger, he is portrayed as a successful business owner. He has many different clients and relationships that enforce a normal functioning adult (ie Not a Murderer). The Tiki Bar is itself a tells a very different story in that the dangers of the bar are exaggerated in way meant not to seem as real as the dangers of the Jungle Cruise. It's a fantasy. It's a cartoon. And unlike the Jungle Cruise, in this cartoon everyone is having a good time.

Does the new story of the Tiki Bar absolve the Jungle Cruise of the original depiction? I tend to think it doesn't. Is the new story of the Tiki Bar itself above any form of additional examination or criticism? Absolutely not. It just shows that there was an attempt to evolve the character design of Trader Sam forward, and was one of many little steps in trying to "fix" the problems with the Jungle Cruise. If I remember right the debut of the Tiki Bar was also the point when Trader Sam's mask was removed in the actual ride, and Trader Sam became a person again.
A very interesting, yet reasonable assessment. This should be how most of these things are assessed. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. It’s wherever the money blows. I just wish more people in the community would assess these decisions like you did here, and not just for Jungle Cruise but for everything.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park may soon notice the latest updates coming to the Jungle Cruise as they come around that final bend. Trader Sam is charting a new adventure along the river at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Parks. Ever wonder what happened to that gramophone you accidentally left behind on the boat during your last adventure? How about that beloved pith helmet that went missing?

Word on the stream is that Alberta Falls, proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd., has entrusted her longtime friend, Trader Sam, to manage the new Lost & Found location. But, with Trader Sam being Trader Sam, there’s always an opportunity to make some extra money. After all, all the best rides end with a gift shop, right?

Take a look at this rendering of their newest venture together. Clearly, Sam is betting on an established reputation as the best merchant in the jungle! But, while he’s out lost and finding some new inventory, it’s the animals that get the last laugh!

jcts203948203498230492834234.jpg

The new scene is one of several that are interconnected and build on the original story and humor of the Jungle Cruise. As previously shared, our world-famous skippers will continue to present the unique adventure and interactions guests expect.
Once complete, guests will learn more about the events that led up to this final scene. Stay tuned, as enhancements debut later this year!"

DCLcruiser

"Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park may soon notice the latest updates coming to the Jungle Cruise as they come around that final bend. Trader Sam is charting a new adventure along the river at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Parks. Ever wonder what happened to that gramophone you accidentally left behind on the boat during your last adventure? How about that beloved pith helmet that went missing?

Word on the stream is that Alberta Falls, proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd., has entrusted her longtime friend, Trader Sam, to manage the new Lost & Found location. But, with Trader Sam being Trader Sam, there’s always an opportunity to make some extra money. After all, all the best rides end with a gift shop, right?

Take a look at this rendering of their newest venture together. Clearly, Sam is betting on an established reputation as the best merchant in the jungle! But, while he’s out lost and finding some new inventory, it’s the animals that get the last laugh!

jcts203948203498230492834234.jpg

The new scene is one of several that are interconnected and build on the original story and humor of the Jungle Cruise. As previously shared, our world-famous skippers will continue to present the unique adventure and interactions guests expect.
Once complete, guests will learn more about the events that led up to this final scene. Stay tuned, as enhancements debut later this year!"

"Word on the stream is that Alberta Falls, proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd., has entrusted her longtime friend, Trader Sam, to manage the new Lost & Found location. But, with Trader Sam being Trader Sam, there’s always an opportunity to make some extra money. After all, all the best rides end with a gift shop, right? "

Come on now, that's great. Very funny.

Mickeyboof

This made me chuckle, to think of all the weird wacky and wild things Trader Sam has found throughout the jungle. This seems like a way more interesting fit than the previous janky statue, which had such limited movement and a really uninteresting gag/story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom