jungle cruise, the movie

buckeyegator

Original Poster
anyone besides me who saw the trailer for the first time and did not know what the movie was think it was a remake of " the african queen "?

Walt Disney1955

We'll see how popular it will be. For it to be anything close to Pirates of the Caribbean (the movie) it would be insanely popular. Maybe I'll see it, but I am wondering if it becomes well known enough that they'll change a couple scenes on the ride. Hey, just thank your lucky stars Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion movie was poorly reviewed.

JIMINYCR

The trailers Ive seen look great with the combination of action and comedy and I had no connection to The African Queen. It also looks like it will not be the disaster like we got with the Eddie Murphy HM catastrophe. I like Dwayne Johnson... another Disney appearance that will be successful. Emily Blunt will add a lot to the fim. A great combination. And the back side of water... a fun nod to the attraction. I'll pay to see it.
The one thing I was surprised about is with Disney going woke and changing up the JC... theyve got the African head hunters, dressed up and painted up, appearing in the movie. Change the ride but use it in the movie... hypocrisy???

Minnie Mum

Haven't been inside a movie theater in a year and a half. But we will go to see this one. And no, it didn't remind me of African Queen.

Cadbury

The one thing I was surprised about is with Disney going woke and changing up the JC... theyve got the African head hunters, dressed up and painted up, appearing in the movie. Change the ride but use it in the movie... hypocrisy???
Disney's diversity and inclusion commitment isn't a sincere one in my opinion. They jumped onto that bandwagon last year just to avoid being called "racist." If Disney really believed in diversity and inclusion they would have made that commitment long before George Floyd's death.

DKampy

My wife wants to see it so I will go… I am nervous since besides the 1st pirates movie none of the other attraction inspired movies were any good… but I do love me some Emily Blunt… she can make anything at least watchable IMO… I am looking forward to Old this weekend more… the trailer has me intrigued… just waiting on the pundits reviews to see what the consensus is since M Night is hit or miss.

WEDfan9798

Disney's diversity and inclusion commitment isn't a sincere one in my opinion. They jumped onto that bandwagon last year just to avoid being called "racist." If Disney really believed in diversity and inclusion they would have made that commitment long before George Floyd's death.
I kinda think you're right. In a way, I wish they would focus on actually being inclusive instead of performatively woke clowns. And no, it wouldn't be "fixing" beloved attractions, but rather focusing on including more people with Diznee...

WDWmazprty

I saw the movie and thought they did a great job with it. With the plot and the villains it definitely had that "Pirates' feel, but I was fine with it.

I only wish they would've incorporated more of the ride elements in the movie. I would've loved to have them include Albert Awol somehow....a reference to the radio show, maybe even seeing him somehow. It also would've been nice to see some of the characters mentioned in the Jungle cruise audio, again, even briefly.

Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt were great. Paul Giamattis 'Italian accent' was horrendous! lol...but he wasn't a major part of the movie, so ok.

Special effects were good, not great.

Overall, I liked it and they could easily do a sequel and maybe include more of the ride elements this next time.

I think you'll enjoy it when you see it.

jpinkc

Saw it this weekend, it was a fun popcorn movie. Agree the special affects were about Pirates level. Rock and Ms Blunt did have good chemistry. It was enjoyable, something you just check your brain at the door and enjoy.

Screamface

It was fine I guess. I think one's enjoyment would very much depend on if you can just get on board and enjoygoing with the flow. It, unfortunately, didn't hook me in. It wasn't boring though. The story is very poorly thought out and full of dumb stuff and plot holes. You could endlessly pick it apart but what's the point. The film is meant to just be a ride.

Definitely, a case where the actors and production carried the script. I was entertained enough to not be bored. I could totally understand someone being very entertained. Turning your brain off. As well as someone being bored and annoyed at how dumb it is.

While the film looks good, I didn't like the camera work and editing. In action scenes, you never get a good look at what is on screen, because the camera is moving too much and the editing is too quick. So while you know the broad strokes of what is happening, you never really get to clearly watch it unfold. The camera never holds on to anything for long. Which is a shame. In POTC2, you got plenty of nice shots to admire the CGI characters, to look at them, take them in. You don't with this film. The camera is always moving, always cutting away quickly when there's something worth looking at.

Some aspects of the story towards the end are very forced. It also suffers from trying to copy the whimsy silliness of Jack Sparrow with characters that aren't like him. Where Jack does the unexpected silly thing because of no other options in the moment. Where it is fun that it works out because it shouldn't. Jack doesn't know if it will work. In this characters just do the silly over the top thing as their first intention, when it's not the only option. It gets wrong why those types of scenes are entertaining and fun. It reminded me of when in Indiana Jones 4. Marion intentionally drives the car off a cliff, into a giant tree, which gently carries them to the ground. That's an absurd thing and a character shouldn't intentionally try that as the first option knowing it will work. That's one of my personal pet peeves.

The film didn't quite know what to do with the setting. It also suffers from wanting to make some 2021 political points and jabs at the era but lacks any subtlety. That's just down to the poor writing and no confidence the audience won't specifically get the point. It's just lazy.

All that said, I would turn up for a sequel. Plenty there and the three leads are all really good.

Epct82

Saw it this weekend, it was a fun popcorn movie. Agree the special affects were about Pirates level. Rock and Ms Blunt did have good chemistry. It was enjoyable, something you just check your brain at the door and enjoy.
CGI felt like a step backward. I still enjoyed it for being a fun adventure. Nothing groundbreaking but fun.

Jedijax719

Definitely felt more "The Mummy" (all the way down to the heroine's goofy brother sidekick) than Pirates but a bit of both, tamed down to be more family friendly. Fun movie, but just that-fun.

david10225

First half of movie - this is great, one laugh or big smile after another. Mary Poppins in pants!
75 % of the way through....oh...plot twist...I guess I can go along with it...
Last 25% of movie...to quote Indian Jones "Snakes..why does it always have to be snakes?" So sick of those special effects like in Pirates...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom