Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Did their Splash Mountain sponsorship expire? That one at least made a little sense...
No idea like I said just saw this on Twitter. If true my only guess is that Ziploc pitched a fit about being thrown under the bus twice with Splash. First being negatively portrayed when Disney announced that they would ban plastics the day after Ziploc announced their sponsorship. And second Disney branding the ride they sponsor racist with Splash. So this is What they agreed to to help smooth everything over. Like I said no idea if true but this is my 2 cents.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

Did we ever get those monkeys at Trader Sam’s gift shop? I know they’re at DL and they add much needed movement to the scene, extremely disappointing if they don’t make it to MK.

GimpYancIent

I'm sure they'll arrive in the coming weeks. I don't see why they wouldn't come to MK like all the other additions.
1628344033943.png

disneyC97

I'm not very optimistic about what sort of "adventure" the new signage/entrance way will evoke.
Perhaps they can put some pirate themeing there?
Are pirates still ok? Skulls, swords...?
Probably not.
Maybe they can put a brave female pirate there with no sword and no gun.
This is (was?) a more recent look to the entrance bridge sign anyway…here is a pic of the original look…can’t remember the exact change out but sometime in the last 10 years I believe…
331F812F-CF47-4A6A-8F72-8395637970A4.jpeg

Last edited:

LittleBuford

This is (was?) a more recent look to the entrance bridge sign anyway…here is a pic of the original look…can’t remember the exact change out but sometime in the last 10 years I believe…View attachment 577944
Great find! I did some digging around after your post and came across this piece, which shows more photos of the bridge in its older forms:

The first version was plainer still:

Adventureland-0012.jpg

UNCgolf

Great find! I did some digging around after your post and came across this piece, which shows more photos of the bridge in its older forms:

The first version was plainer still:

Adventureland-0012.jpg

I like those older versions more than the new one, but IIRC, part of the reason they changed it was to eliminate the mid-walkway pillars so they wouldn't impede pedestrian flow.

yensidtlaw1969

If natives in of themselves are being considered offensive now (I mean, there isn't anything really offensive about the MASK, right?), I wonder what that means for Moana.
Do you really not understand that the problem is Disney POORLY representing Native people, and not them representing them at all?

“Natives” are not offensive in and of themselves. But having most of the dark-skinned animatronics in the Magic Kingdom shown to be “savage head hunters” is offensive.

Brer Panther

Do you really not understand that the problem is Disney POORLY representing Native people, and not them representing them at all?

“Natives” are not offensive in and of themselves. But having most of the dark-skinned animatronics in the Magic Kingdom shown to be “savage head hunters” is offensive.
Ah, okay. But does a tribal mask really automatically imply "savage head hunters"? Not saying it doesn't, I'm legitimately curious.

UNCgolf

But not the part people are debating. The concerns that have been raised pertain to non-structural elements like the shields and masks.

Sure, but the original structure allowed for some theming that isn't possible with the new sign. That could be part of the reason they dove more into using shields, masks, and spears. I realize I didn't explain that in my original post, though.

Carved pillars would likely still be considered problematic by some people, but they certainly don't evoke "dangerous natives" the way the shields ands spears can.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It's unlikely Disney will make any serious concessions for this crowd.

It would be disingenuous of Disney to keep its Tiki Room, Tiki Bars and Tiki merch, and just remove some carvings on a single bridge for that reason.

I agree -- my point was that those pillars were already removed when they redesigned the Adventureland sign for crowd flow.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Precisely.
With the animatronics removed, why can't we view masks, spears, shields etc., as interesting elements of the local culture?
Why not put their farming implements on display?

The showcasing of indigenous "warriors" is a result of foreigners invading their land, cultivating slaves, and militaristically colonizing them.

No wonder the ""adventurers"" who brought back ""souvenirs"" of ""exotic lands"" focused on the warriors and their weapons of war... because they declared war on them.

A colonists' collection of spears and warrior masks was morally akin to a native's collection of shrunken heads. War trophies.

ifan

Why not put their farming implements on display?

The showcasing of indigenous "warriors" is a result of foreigners invading their land, cultivating slaves, and militaristically colonizing them.

No wonder the ""adventurers"" who brought back ""souvenirs"" of ""exotic lands"" focused on the warriors and their weapons of war... because they declared war on them.

A colonists' collection of spears and warrior masks was morally akin to a native's collection of shrunken heads. War trophies.
Hello MisterPenguin! (Appreciate your posts in this forum)

This would highly depend on the indigenous group being showcased. One of my favorite groups of people are the Maori of New Zealand. They were warriors and fought each other long before the Europeans arrived. Them being such amazing warriors was an important reason they survived so long and created what I believe was the longest war in England's history. It's unfortunate that there is very little Aus/NZ featured anywhere in Disney. They are an amazing group of people! And what happened to them and the nearby Aboriginals of Aus is horrific...

The same goes for certain tribes in Africa, South America, etc. I've heard similar stories of remote South Pacific island groups at war with each other where war becomes a key attribute of their lifestyles, unfortunately. It's really difficult to generalize when talking about indigenous people. There are some groups that would be accurately represented by weaponry and be proud of it (some of my ancestors included.)

Anywho, I'm just glad the ride is getting an update...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom