Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

TikibirdLand

From what I've seen, I think the Jungle Cruise updates are a plus. But, given these updates, I was puzzled when I saw a snippet from the movie featuring one of the co-stars referencing "blow dart dodging." Wouldn't this run contrary to what they are attempting to "fix" with the ride updates? Here's a screen shot from the clip:

View attachment 575232

The clip can be seen at

Well, I'm sold. I'll be taking la familia this weekend!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
1627573786612.png

dreday3

Did you see they started adding the chimpanzees to some scenes at MK? They look great!
Very cute, funny - I think anyways. (yes, I realize I like everything...)

Oh never mind. I didn't realize they were already added to the Disneyland version, which most have probably seen.

Carry on, nothing to see here...

Last edited:

Ghost93

Just saw the Jungle Cruise movie in the theaters. It was pretty good! The story was all over the place, but the banter between Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt and Jack Whitehall was fun to watch and kept the entire thing afloat. And there were several great tributes to the ride itself that I rather enjoyed. I hope it does well as I'd like to see it a sequel.

Ghost93

I like the new Chimpanzee scene. Though I will admit the replacement for Trader Sam at the end of the ride falls flat. The beheading jokes were great dark humor. If they wanted to get rid of Trader Sam to not be racist, I think they should have replaced the character with something that brought similar levels of macabre humor. What they have now at the end of the ride isn't particularly funny.

rle4lunch

Etymology 1 n. (plural of toot English) vb. (en-third-person singular of: toot) Etymology 2 n. (context slang sometimes derogatory English) babe, sweetie: a term used when addressing a young woman, especially one perceived as being sexually available.

If the Zip a dee doo dah is offensive, than I think toots would be fair game as well.
I meant that he's not using it that way. I haven't heard that out of someone's mouth in 20 years in the derogatory way. Nevertheless, if we're all supposed to be as woke as Disney, then by all means, throw the baby out with the bathwater and include 'toots'...

*side note, if it was derogatory, you'd think wdwmagic would've flagged it by now. lol.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes, it is quite hypocritical.

Also, "toots" is a derogatory term.
I have a family member whose nickname is Tootsie, Toots for short. It was a very common and not necessarily derogatory term - but I suspect that today Tootsie Roll and Tootsie Pop might have to change their name. But 50 years ago it really depended upon who was saying it. Just as "Babe" can be endearing - or insulting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have a family member whose nickname is Tootsie, Toots for short. It was a very common and not necessarily derogatory term - but I suspect that today Tootsie Roll and Tootsie Pop might have to change their name. But 50 years ago it really depended upon who was saying it. Just as "Babe" can be endearing - or insulting.
Indeed.

It could be used as a term of endearment for a romantic partner as much as: babe, baby, sweetheart, sweetie. baby, dear, honey, baby, snookums, baby.

If you think about each of those words by themselves... kinda icky to infantilize or comesticize (treat them as edible) someone you like.

The most famous use of 'toots' was this song popularized by Al Jolson (already, we're in the realm of old timey = cringey if we're talking about Al Blackface Jolson)...

And any of those terms of endearment between a romantic couple can be used to be derogatory toward a woman whom one is not a consensual romantic partner since it implies she should be available to be such without her consent. Thus, it's also used to devalue the women due to her gender by pointing it out and sexualizing or infantilizing her (or both at the same time).

The etymology of 'toots' for a woman is unknown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom