Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

SorcererMC

Nope. But we all have google now so we can look up the specifics... And now that I have looked them up I am outraged I tell you! lol
So anyway.... Trader Sam has been removed and will not return. I am so glad this fantasy attraction that spans the rivers of the world will be more historically accurate for the google generation....and most of all will not marginalize the Jivaroan people...That it can celebrate Indigenismo... Because that was always the point as clearly illustrated by Marc Davis' historically and socially accurate concept sketch
So sorry that mocking the religious practices of indigenous communities no longer gets to be the fodder for jokes in a theme park ride.

rreading

The haters can hate me if they want, but I never really was much amused by Trader Sam to be honest, as a kid I was actually kinda terrifed of the idea of shrunken heads {still am truth be told} As an adult I've come to see the genius behind the characters, the workmanship of the model makers to make a model. but lets be real here, its been stated before, Disney is doing this because they feel it should changfe and be more "in the times"

I never recalled Jungle Cruise or even Juingle Cruise as having a story to it like the other rides {pirates, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, even the dumbo or space mountain have stories behind them to help sell the ride as a fun experience}

Walt himself was always looking at a ride, riding it and thinking "What is wrong with it and how can we do better ?" So in this update to Jungle Cruise, Disney is trying to do as its namesake creator was doing and making it better. Even if it makes people, die hard fans of the ride for example, upset, Disney doesnt care, they see something not working, they wanna fix it and make it work right. somehow they want to add a story to Jungle Cruise, I say let them, I want to see it with a good story, and I'm a sucker for a good story {its how I got sucked into Skyrim, but that's another story entirely!}

So me, like I said, the haters can rant at me all they like, I for one am excited for these changes.

Sure - making it 'better' would be great. The problem is that we look next door to pirates, and realize that it's not going to be better - just gutted and replaced with fluff. I cannot imagine that there is someone who is impressed with the new auction scene. It's idiotic at best

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I mean, he’s clearly a caricature of a South American tribesman. Would you disagree?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but my answer is simple. I have never seen a South American tribesman, so no, he doesn't look like one to me, as I have zero clue what one is supposed to look like. He looked like a cartoon character from a Disney cartoon to me. Sorry.

LittleBuford

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my answer is simple. I have never seen a South American tribesman, so no, he doesn't look like one to me, as I have zero clue what one is supposed to look like. He looked like a cartoon character from a Disney cartoon to me. Sorry.
I've never seen a pirate or a ghost, but I know what they're supposed to look like.

Would you at least agree that Trader Sam looks (or rather looked, since he's now gone) like a non-white jungle tribesman?

LittleBuford

And what if the “joke” was once considered “science”? The views of certain peoples may seem hokey but their origins are in very real efforts to make these peoples out as lesser.
I don't understand this. Are you saying that the representation of tribesmen in the Jungle Cruise was intended to be scientifically accurate?

LittleBuford

Just a reminder of who we're talking about:

ts-1.jpeg

AdventureHasAName

I mean, he’s clearly a caricature of a South American tribesman. Would you disagree?
Tribesman? Sure. South American? No. He could be from tons of places in the world and, more to the point, I would suggest that looking at this drawing (and the AA that was derived from it) it's intentionally ambiguous. Anyone who says this drawing definitively depicts the subject as being from a certain location (or a certain tribe, or a certain ethnicity) is desperately trying to tie the AA to a specific culture so that they can then immediately turn around and say, "... so obviously that's offensive to people of that culture." Identity politics don't work if you can't identify the victim.

Part of the design of the ride is that it vaguely depicts scenes from all over the world, making the location of the ride impossibly nebulous. It's not a South American headhunter; it's a headhunter from the area immediately downriver from the Jungle Cruise boathouse (in the 1930s or 40s).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom