Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

SplashJacket

If Disney wants to remove an attraction or attraction element, all that matters is if the replacement is superior.

A net equal is a shame because the money could have been spent elsewhere creating legitimate improvements.

Regardless if you think Splash Mountain should be removed or should stay, there is nothing I have seen that points to the PatF attraction being an improvement.

Regardless if you think certain Jungle Cruise elements should be removed or should stay, everything I have seen thus far looks to be a colossal improvement.

I don’t care about the supposed reasons behind the replacement. If Disney announced they were making upgrades to Jungle Cruise, no one would be complaining, but since they announced upgrades in the name of inclusivity, people are throwing a fit.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

If Disney wants to remove an attraction or attraction elements, all that matters is if the replacement is superior.

A net equal is also a shame, because the money could have been spent elsewhere creating legitimate improvements.
This 1000x. We should welcome improvements every chance we get, regardless of if you agree or disagree with the reasons.

For example, no one seems to have any issues with the explosion updates proposed for Big Thunder Mountain. But, if the reason for said updates was cultural, there would be a pushback. If what we are getting is better, we should always welcome that.

That being said, in regards to attractions that have wait times that are always lengthy, it becomes truly impossible to achieve anything more than a net-positive, at least from a financial standpoint (attractions like Peter Pan's Flight and Splash Mountain). The millions of dollars poured into those attractions will never return on investment. But yes, it's not always just about money.

ToTBellHop

What if they cut the Sam AA but skippers just throw in a joke about Trader Sam? They don’t show you Dr. Albert Falls but he is part of the lore, nonetheless. “Today’s cruise is sponsored by our head hunter, Trader Sam. Feel free to stop by Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, where, if you mention today’s cruise, you can take advantage of his 2 for 1 sale! 2 of his heads for one of yours!”

JustInTime

What if they cut the Sam AA but skippers just throw in a joke about Trader Sam? They don’t show you Dr. Albert Falls but he is part of the lore, nonetheless. “Today’s cruise is sponsored by our head hunter, Trader Sam. Feel free to stop by Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, where, if you mention today’s cruise, you can take advantage of his 2 for 1 sale! 2 of his heads for one of yours!”
I personally love this but the idea that folks in Africa are headhunters is what is supposed to be the offensive. So I don’t think those jokes will remain.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
I’d be fine with that. Leave Sam’s appearance ambiguous. Or maybe make him a LEGAL headhunter, to further the pun. “That’s our head salesman, Trader Sam! Though he’s a bit of a headhunter, constantly poaching people... to join the jungle cruise!”

Last edited:

JustInTime

Oh, good God. I always thought it was how Sam looks, so if you were not looking at him, it would be acceptable. I must enroll in another Woke course. I have not adequately leveled up.
To me, Sam was as racially ambiguous as possible. I disagree with the changes but if they are gonna do it, they gotta do it all the way. I think it was kind of a stereotype? I don’t know, honestly.

I’m just curious to see what is going in that spot?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Expect to see "Trader Samantha." She'll be offering chickens and grandfather clocks for 10 bottles of rum.

Trader Sam is now a Brazilian doctoral candidate of indigenous studies from the Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro.

Samuél Martín Oliveira is of a mix ancestry of the indigenous Aldeia Maracanã tribe as well as of African and Portuguese heritages.

Sam got his nickname for his entrepreneurial spirit creating an app so that the underprivileged peoples of the Amazon basin can share and trade their belongings as if they were at one giant yard sale or flea market. He calls the app "Trader Sam."

Sam enjoys canoeing, bird watching, and ballroom dancing.

As a whiz at his own app, he greets your Jungle Cruise boat with local wares such as blankets created by indigenous tribes, papaya bread sandwiches, and iPhone skins inspired by the colors of the local parrots. For a small fee, he'll let you use his mini-potty which he calls his shrunken head.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disgusting. That’s all I have to say about the removal of Trader Sam.

“Here on Disney Jungle Cruise, park of Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort, we bring you the finest jokes curated from the best and brightest minds in our Diverse and Inclusive PR department. No one will be offended, but if you are, please let us know in a non-threatening manner via our online feedback form and we’ll be sure to remove the offending joke the next day. And we know funny - We currently have over 3 jokes to tell!”

MrPromey

I mean, there *could* be. We don't know for sure.

But I think it's likely that Disney would be talking about that to quell discussions like these given the character's popularity. That they've commented on keeping his name for the bars but not on keeping the figure itself seems to hint that they want to try to let it go quietly.

... Which is one of those things I'll really never understand.

They remove the figure but like, "We'll keep the reference so those of you in the 'know' will know - wink, wink." but who does that impress?

If it's so offensive that the character has to go, why keep any reference at all?

It's also kind of how I feel about the wench auction scene. (I'm going to bring that one up but bear with me)

Okay, times have changed and they want to get rid of that because society doesn't find the gag and the jokes appropriate anymore.

That alone should make sense to a reasonable person, even if nostalgia and innocently not having seen it as triggering to a very specific group of people until it was bluntly pointed out, made them sorry and unhappy to see it go, right?*†

Why replace it with a lame scene with no humor that has coy references to what they removed rather than just totally get rid of the original reference and replace the whole scene with something better? Or in this case with Jungle Cruse, why leave something behind with a reference to the character to people off when it reminds of them of the change they weren't thrilled with?

I feel like these changes while leaving throwback reference to what they've deemed too offensive to continue existing only ensures the controversy with fans will live on long after the changes have been made and for what?

*My first gut reaction with the bride auction, being a guy, was why is it okay to keep this mirror of that scene which reveals the fate of the men from the village while removing the woman one? The simple answer is, men being tortured for information by being lowered into a well with death as a possible outcome isn't a problem in most places while the modern day parallels for the women's scene which has both something literal and something implied going on are both not only horrible but together or individually, still a problem nearly everywhere in the world.

†Sort of like that offensive joke an old relative told you when you were a child that you didn't realize was inappropriate until many years later when you thought about the actual meaning - "but wait, what's wrong with?.. oh... I see it now :oops:"

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Oh, good God. I always thought it was how Sam looks, so if you were not looking at him, it would be acceptable. I must enroll in another Woke course. I have not adequately leveled up.
Florida’s Sam is a cartoony man with tanned skin, long hair, and a top hat. His background is ambiguous and irrelevant.

The issue I see is the shrunken heads and the profession. And with that, the $15 drink that pokes fun of it is also a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom