Jungle Cruise Park Operation Impacts

Skip

Original Poster
We're preparing to make our first visit back to Disneyland on July 24th... which we've just learned is hosting the Jungle Cruise movie premiere that day. The official blog post references "operational impacts" and links to the Disneyland website, but there appears to not be any details available.

Does anyone have any idea what we should expect? We have no interest in seeing the red carpet or anything along those lines. Should we attempt to reschedule?

MoonRakerSCM

I have one experience with DL and a special event and it was years ago... The park was closing early for a Miley Cyrus birthday bash... Park hours were listed until 8p. As of ~715-730. Things were already shutting down and they were installing all the event setups and security was telling people park is closing, time to go.

Needless to say, a lot of people were upset and it was not a pleasant ending to the day.

That being said, if it ONLY involves Adventureland... It might be fine as they may just close off the land, but everything else would be good...

Nirya

We're preparing to make our first visit back to Disneyland on July 24th... which we've just learned is hosting the Jungle Cruise movie premiere that day. The official blog post references "operational impacts" and links to the Disneyland website, but there appears to not be any details available.

Does anyone have any idea what we should expect? We have no interest in seeing the red carpet or anything along those lines. Should we attempt to reschedule?
I remember ditching high school back in the day to go to the Pirates 3 premiere at Disneyland. They had a red carpet down Main Street, a theater set up along the RoA, and that was about it? I think the park ultimately closed earlier than usual but rides were open, though I think they closed PotC for a few hours to do some publicity photos. I’d imagine something similar happens here, though they’ve done recent premiere showings at the Hyperion, so maybe they just shut down part of Adventureland for a few hours to do that.

Figments Friend

When the 'Tomorrowland' film held it's World Premiere some years ago at the Disneyland Resort, the two areas that felt the most impact were Downtown Disney ( near the movie theater / Disneyland Hotel end ) and Tomorowland itself at the Park.
Areas blocked off to the public / day guests, some Attractions not availible that day.
If I am remembering correctly, the Monorail was also blocked off to day guests....as after the film all of the folks attending the premier after party were shuttled directly over to Tomorrowland.

Now i would assume they would likely try something similar, although I have yet to have heard if the film will be shown in the Park itself ( similar to the 'POTC' film premiers ) or in another location.
I would expect Adventureland to be closed off that day for use during the event...but I could be wrong.
I guess we shall just have to wait n' see.

-

Last edited:

Always Happy

I believe they are doing the screening / World Premiere in the Fantasyland theater. No idea if they plan a "red carpet" down main street. So it's hard to say the impact. Maybe just close Toontown and Fantasyland in the evening?

Skip

Original Poster
I have to say, it's a bit frustrating that we're less than a week out and there are apparently no details on how the park will be impacted for regular guests. I understand there'll need to be adjustments and accommodations, but you would have no idea this was happening just by glancing at the park schedule and hours.

Presumably you'd need to close Main Street somehow (redirect guests through the overflow paths?) and route them to the Fantasyland Theater... probably the most efficient way is through the Matterhorn corridor? Which would mean you'd probably need to at least temporarily close the entire east side of the park (or do parade route-like crossovers).

If they start the movie at 8, they could then presumably not have to worry about any other impacts (such as a Jungle Cruise after-hours deal) until after the park closes at 10. But... Do they really have the staffing to make this work? And why can't these plans be communicated to the guests paying full price and expecting a reasonably complete experience?

Figments Friend

Perhaps this will be a 'after hours' event...?
Even if it is, staff would need to set up the areas beforehand and keep some areas clear.
Typically these in-park premieres happen in the daytime for publicity purposes, with a special private event in the evening to follow.

Going to be interesting to see how this is handled.

My guess is nothing is being talked about publically as far as event details and Park operational changes in a effort to perhaps keep crowds down.
They don't know Disneyland fans well then if that is the case.

-

Last edited:

cmwade77

I personally would rework the trip to avoid that day in the parks if possible, it will be overcrowded with people hoping to get a glimpse of celebrities and they have proven in the past they can't handle these special events properly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is what will reportedly be the impacts of the premiere -

July 24

Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room – FULL DAY CLOSURE
Tropical Hideaway – FULL DAY CLOSURE
Fireworks cancelled, projections only
Jungle Cruise – CLOSED (4:30pm to 7pm)
Casey Jr. Circus Train – CLOSED (8pm to close)
Storybook Land Canal Boats – CLOSED (8pm to close)
Disneyland Railroad – CLOSED (8pm to close)
“it’s a small world” – AUDIO MUTED (8pm to close)
Mickey’s Toontown – RESTRICTED ACCESS (6pm)
Stroller Parking relocated (Jungle Cruise & “it’s a small world”

July 25, 26

Tarzan Treehouse – FULL DAY CLOSURE
Tropical Imports – Reduced seating
Pirates of the Caribbean – Reduced queue space

celluloid

The theme park hospitality side of me always hated these events. There is quite of bit of impact to a park in a time that is already rough on offerings to make sure this movie had a pat on the back premier.

Skip

Original Poster
Hope you enjoyed your visit, @Skip .
Let us hear how your day went at Disneyland during the Premiere.

:)

-

Fortunately, the premiere appeared to have a reverse psychology effect on crowding. Everyone assumed it would be packed... so fewer people showed up. Lines were very reasonable all day. Only Space Mountain and Splash Mountain occasionally breached 60 minutes at certain points, and I was able to easily use the walk-up line for Oga's Cantina.

Operational impacts due to the premiere were fairly negligible, for the most part. The Enchanted Tiki Room and Tropical Hideaway were closed all day to facilitate a pre-party area, but Dole Whips were still available at the stand. Jungle Cruise shut down from 4 to 7:30, and the two railroads - Casey Jr. and the main train - shut down early (with ample warning via app pop-ups). There were also no fireworks - only projections - but that was published well ahead of time, and they sent another pop-up notification to warn waiting guests. It definitely strained operations at times when the film's stars appeared - the Rock and Emily Blunt apparently insisted on coming out of Tropical Hideaway to greet waiting fans, which was honestly a nice touch. They tried to force guests to "walk through" that Adventureland artery (sort of like how they do for fireworks and Fantasmic), but most still stopped to watch and ignored the poor CMs. It honestly wasn't terribly much of an issue, and it relieved demand for Indiana Jones. (After catching a glimpse of the stars - again, surprisingly easy to do - we ducked into the queue and enjoyed a brisk walk to the loading station). All in all, hats off for a very smooth operation. Could've been way worse - though I wish they had published more of the impacts (aside from the fireworks pyro) ahead of time.

waltography

Fortunately, the premiere appeared to have a reverse psychology effect on crowding. Everyone assumed it would be packed... so fewer people showed up. Lines were very reasonable all day. Only Space Mountain and Splash Mountain occasionally breached 60 minutes at certain points, and I was able to easily use the walk-up line for Oga's Cantina.

Operational impacts due to the premiere were fairly negligible, for the most part. The Enchanted Tiki Room and Tropical Hideaway were closed all day to facilitate a pre-party area, but Dole Whips were still available at the stand. Jungle Cruise shut down from 4 to 7:30, and the two railroads - Casey Jr. and the main train - shut down early (with ample warning via app pop-ups). There were also no fireworks - only projections - but that was published well ahead of time, and they sent another pop-up notification to warn waiting guests. It definitely strained operations at times when the film's stars appeared - the Rock and Emily Blunt apparently insisted on coming out of Tropical Hideaway to greet waiting fans, which was honestly a nice touch. They tried to force guests to "walk through" that Adventureland artery (sort of like how they do for fireworks and Fantasmic), but most still stopped to watch and ignored the poor CMs. It honestly wasn't terribly much of an issue, and it relieved demand for Indiana Jones. (After catching a glimpse of the stars - again, surprisingly easy to do - we ducked into the queue and enjoyed a brisk walk to the loading station). All in all, hats off for a very smooth operation. Could've been way worse - though I wish they had published more of the impacts (aside from the fireworks pyro) ahead of time.
Thanks for sharing; I know that at least on TikTok folks responded super positively to the event because of how warm Dwayne and Emily were with the crowd. Glad it went off without a hitch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom