Jungle Cruise next?

Walt Disney1955

I can't be alone in not wanting to see The Rock or be reminded of the movie in the ride. Even if the movie is good.

Look, I don't mind the Rock, but count me in as a guy who hopes the movie tanks in an Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion type of way. Pirates was one thing, that was a classic ride with a very, very good movie and an unforgettable main character. You had to add something to it. But Jungle Cruise as a movie? Nah.

WEDfan9798

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that I don't trust Disney's judgement at all with this stuff. If an extremist group wants to have them get rid of Hall of Presidents or else they'll threaten to trash it do you trust Disney not to cave? Me neither. And that's the scariest thing about this whole thing. Disney didn't stand up for themselves at all. Some of their most treasured creations are now one lousy petition away from them changing a beloved attraction, permanently. We love this place, and it worries me that it could turn into.................well, Seattle.
Exactly, don't give into the mob.

WEDfan9798

I am not for getting rid of the natives, just retooling those two scenes slightly so it can't possibly "offend" anyone, which seems impossible. It's funny because it's always white people who are super gung ho about taking out any POC representation from the parks because "it's offensive", never the POC. I have a great idea on how to do it, too.

erasure fan1

I am not for getting rid of the natives, just retooling those two scenes slightly so it can't possibly "offend" anyone, which seems impossible.
Because it is impossible. You will never not offend everyone. Even if you take the scene away, people will still be offended because it was part of the ride in the first place.

WEDfan9798

They did it with Splash Mountain, I wouldn't put it past them to do it again.
Sadly, I believe you're right. It seems they're going after the Tiki Room, Country Bears, the Hall of Presidents/American Adventure/Lincoln, Peter Pan, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America, the Carousel of Progress, and Haunted Mansion...which are all favorites of mine. It seems they're done (for the moment) with Pirates (which is another favorite). When will the madness with that mob end?

Homemade Imagineering

Sadly, I believe you're right. It seems they're going after the Tiki Room, Country Bears, the Hall of Presidents/American Adventure/Lincoln, Peter Pan, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America, the Carousel of Progress, and Haunted Mansion...which are all favorites of mine. It seems they're done (for the moment) with Pirates (which is another favorite). When will the madness with that mob end?
Some of these I can understand, such as JC or HoP, but I can't understand why they'd ever want to alter HM because of some sort of PC issue. I guess the Ghost Host hanging himself would be the most controversial thing in that attraction, if I were to nitpick every little thing, but at the end of the day it's a silly gag. Small World is the strangest one of them all, because of course the cultures represented throughout the attraction can be misinterpreted for hateful stereotypes mocking other cultures, and that's incredibly sad to me some seem to think that way. IASW has always been misunderstood in many ways throughout its existence, and at the end of the day it should be the front face of Disney's inclusive movement, because it's the only theme park attraction to ever exist that advocates for unity and world peace. Sure, there are some stereotypes in the attraction, but they weren't created because WED wanted to mock other cultures. It is the most anti racist thing to ever come out of TWDC, and that's why it's such a beautiful attraction. Pan would be the easiest fix out of all of them. They could remove the "What Makes the Red Man Red" scene from the attraction overnight, and install something else in its place later on.

WEDfan9798

Some of these I can understand, such as JC or HoP, but I can't understand why they'd ever want to alter HM because of some sort of PC issue. I guess the Ghost Host hanging himself would be the most controversial thing in that attraction, if I were to nitpick every little thing, but at the end of the day it's a silly gag. Small World is the strangest one of them all, because of course the cultures represented throughout the attraction can be misinterpreted for hateful stereotypes mocking other cultures, and that's incredibly sad to me some seem to think that way. IASW has always been misunderstood in many ways throughout its existence, and at the end of the day it should be the front face of Disney's inclusive movement, because it's the only theme park attraction to ever exist that advocates for unity and world peace. Sure, there are some stereotypes in the attraction, but they weren't created because WED wanted to mock other cultures. It is the most anti racist thing to ever come out of TWDC, and that's why it's such a beautiful attraction. Pan would be the easiest fix out of all of them. They could remove the "What Makes the Red Man Red" scene from the attraction overnight, and install something else in its place later on.
I understand your concerns with regards to the Jungle Cruise (the headhunters being the biggest issue) and HoP (though, I think they should do a copy of the Lincoln show or revise the show to de-politicize or contextualize the content of the show because it should be about America and liberty in the end, not either party). I agree with your sentiment regarding Small World wholeheartedly. I don't have an issue with removing the Indian Camp scene with the Chief and the drummers from Peter Pan. However, I like the Native American village they have on the Rivers of America and I say that as someone who is Native American, so that should stay. It's not causing the same offense as what's seen in Peter Pan. I think we should be mindful, yes, but this slippery slope is dangerous because people might/will use it to take out Small World and other attractions.

TP2000

I am not for getting rid of the natives, just retooling those two scenes slightly so it can't possibly "offend" anyone, which seems impossible. It's funny because it's always white people who are super gung ho about taking out any POC representation from the parks because "it's offensive", never the POC. I have a great idea on how to do it, too.

White liberals are usually the most easily offended, but also the quickest to explain why non-whites are inherently inferior.

If that's not racist, I don't know what is.

This video is four years old, but it's hysterical! It's basically a bunch of privileged white people who go to the very liberal University of California at Berkeley explaining how Black folks, or as they say "those types of people", don't know how to go to the DMV and don't know how the Internet works, thus Black folks can't get a driver's license. And then the same interviewer goes from Berkeley to Harlem and asks un-privileged, working-class Black people if they know how the Internet works and if they know where the nearest DMV is to get a driver's license from. These working-class Black folks are also asked to produce official government ID on the spot. The result is magic! 🤣

P.S. Multiple black folks in this video know instantly that the nearest DMV is on 125th street. Also, multiple black folks in this video seem fun and would be a welcome addition at my next dinner party. Multiple white Liberals at Berkeley would not get an invitation because they are not just racists, but they seem boring, idiotic, and definitely not fun.

Last edited:

ddbowdoin

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that I don't trust Disney's judgement at all with this stuff. If an extremist group wants to have them get rid of Hall of Presidents or else they'll threaten to trash it do you trust Disney not to cave? Me neither. And that's the scariest thing about this whole thing. Disney didn't stand up for themselves at all. Some of their most treasured creations are now one lousy petition away from them changing a beloved attraction, permanently. We love this place, and it worries me that it could turn into.................well, Seattle.
Yeah... been there, people poop on sidewalks in pure daylight. Odd city.

ohioguy

The racist elements of all the attractions need to go. It's 2021 and the old, tired subversive racism and sexism is out the window.

Hall of Presidents needs re-themed to make the attraction more exciting. They really should hire Lin-Manuel Miranda for this one.

Jungle Cruise will be redone if and when The Rock movie proves successful. The headhunter needs to go. The attraction has been stale since the opening of Animal Kingdom.

Can't wait for the re-themed Splash Mountain. Will be epic.

Brer Panther

Pan would be the easiest fix out of all of them. They could remove the "What Makes the Red Man Red" scene from the attraction overnight, and install something else in its place later on.
But knowing Disney and the "woke mob", that probably wouldn't be good enough. They'd probably demand that the whole ride be rethemed to Pocahontas or something to remove any trace of that racist film. And this is coming from somebody who, unlike with the Brers, agrees that Peter Pan's Indians are problematic.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Please no? Phone in on an English radio station talking about changes and Disney was mentioned. Somebody mentioned it was 'racist' having a head hunter with dark skin :rolleyes:

The more publicity you make it, the more likely you’ll manifest it into existence. Blow it up here and it’ll be YOUR fault. Not many folks listen to radio shows. But not many people are on here. However, the more shares you get, the more likely it happens.

lilypgirl

Why go after any of these? What am I missing? I could see the Splash issue but don't get what is so controversial about any of these.

mergatroid

Original Poster
The more publicity you make it, the more likely you’ll manifest it into existence. Blow it up here and it’ll be YOUR fault. Not many folks listen to radio shows. But not many people are on here. However, the more shares you get, the more likely it happens.

I've read this about 10 times and still have no idea what you're saying? You do realise this was posted 7 months ago?

It's my fault if the ride is closed?

Not many people listen to radio shows and not many people are on here? So if nobody listens to the radio or comes on here, where are the 'shares' coming from? :D

Brer Panther

Why go after any of these? What am I missing? I could see the Splash issue but don't get what is so controversial about any of these.
Peter Pan's got the Indians. Jungle Cruise has the Headhunters. Country Bear Jamboree has a character named "Liver Lips", which is apparently a racial slur. Tiki Room, I think some folks believe Jose, Michael, Fritz, and Pierre are offensive ethnic stereotypes. Dunno about the others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom