July 1998 River Country Map

SLUSHIE

Original Poster
I came across this River Country map from July of 1998 while looking through the file cabinet...

1997 July River Country Map Inside.jpg 1997 July River Country Map Front.jpg 1997 July River Country Map Instert.jpg

I'ts a bit too big for my scanner so its cut off.

I think the map art is pretty cool. I guess they had some seasonal stuff going on for the 4th.

Pixieish

I don't understand how it wasn't profitable
It was plenty profitable. Here's what happened (if I mess up a little, please forgive me...it's been awhile since I did the research)

1. A boy was infected by an amoeba that killed him.
2. The park was shut down for much needed maintenance.
3. The park re-opened, but was having capacity issues as it was always very full - Disney decided to build Typhoon Lagoon - 1989.
4. The park was again shut down for maintenance.
5. A law was passed in regards to using untreated water for commercially run recreation.
6. River Country never re-opened as it was going to be outrageously expensive to convert to treated water.
7. The boy who died became - in the minds of the public - the reason for the shut-down, even though that really isn't the case.
8. Blizzard Beach is opened in 1995.

NormC

It remained open for 21 years after the boy died. That was an unfortunate incident but not the reason for closure. As Cheryl pointed out there were several other reasons including 9/11 that contributed to its ultimate closure.

TwilightZone

It was plenty profitable. Here's what happened (if I mess up a little, please forgive me...it's been awhile since I did the research)

1. A boy was infected by an amoeba that killed him.
2. The park was shut down for much needed maintenance.
3. The park re-opened, but was having capacity issues as it was always very full - Disney decided to build Typhoon Lagoon - 1989.
4. The park was again shut down for maintenance.
5. A law was passed in regards to using untreated water for commercially run recreation.
6. River Country never re-opened as it was going to be outrageously expensive to convert to treated water.
7. The boy who died became - in the minds of the public - the reason for the shut-down, even though that really isn't the case.
8. Blizzard Beach is opened in 1995.
9. typhoon lagoon opened in 1989. It's opening certainly helped with river country's slow decline, but the first 8 you posted helped even more.

Pixieish

9. typhoon lagoon opened in 1989. It's opening certainly helped with river country's slow decline, but the first 8 you posted helped even more.

Without a doubt. Blizzard beach certainly sealed the deal as River Country didn't officially close for good until 2001, I think?

copcarguyp71

It remained open for 21 years after the boy died. That was an unfortunate incident but not the reason for closure. As Cheryl pointed out there were several other reasons including 9/11 that contributed to its ultimate closure.

Cheryl's post didn't make any mention of 9/11 being causal of the closure...can you provide that info?

NormC

Cheryl's post didn't make any mention of 9/11 being causal of the closure...can you provide that info?
From the Business Briefs section in The Chicago Sun-Times
03 Sept 02
Credit: Bloomberg Business News and Associated Press.

Theme parks still stuck in travel downturn

For Walt Disney Co. and other theme-park operators, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks continue to hurt sales, adding to their struggles against a sluggish U.S. economy and competition for consumers' leisure time. Disney, the second-largest U.S. entertainment company, said last month a decline in theme-park attendance will cause earnings this quarter to fall from the year-earlier period. That's partly because fewer people from outside the U.S. are visiting the company's Florida and California parks. The company said a 30 percent fall in attendance by customers from outside the U.S. contributed to a 6 percent drop in overall attendance at Disney's U.S. parks in the quarter ended June 30. Terrorism fears led to a decline in tourism from some countries to Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Studios in California and Florida, a spokesman said.

Bloomberg News, AP

Pixieish

It was definitely an indirect cause. The park *may* have had a chance at staying open had 9/11 never happened, but I really doubt it with that law having passed about the water.

NormC

It helped drive the nail in the coffin. They could not justify the investment in the reconstruction and water treatment needed to comply with Florida law with the down turn in attendance caused by fears of terrorism post 9/11.

copcarguyp71

Ahh...ok. I get it but more conjecture than anything on that I guess. I went to River Country only once in '88 I think but I remember it being a heck of a good time. Not quite so "theme parky" as the current iterations. It was a little more rustic and old fashioned...which I liked.

Pixieish

Ahh...ok. I get it but more conjecture than anything on that I guess. I went to River Country only once in '88 I think but I remember it being a heck of a good time. Not quite so "theme parky" as the current iterations. It was a little more rustic and old fashioned...which I liked.

I was there in 1987...it was AMAZING. I believe it was themed after Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn's adventures, but I could be mistaken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom