Jules Verne and Florida: an idea for an east coast Discovery Bay?

derek4ever

Original Poster
Good afternoon imagineers! I was doing some research about Jules Verne and read that he clearly mentions "Tampa Town" as the location for a rocket launch to the moon in "From the Earth to the Moon" and would like to throw this idea out there.

Question: if you could create an eastern coast version of Disneyland's Discovery Bay, how would you build this? Would you turn it into its own park or make it its own land (or sub-land) at any of the Walt Disney World parks?

I thought this would be cool, who wants to step up and break the ice? 😊😀

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Good afternoon imagineers! I was doing some research about Jules Verne and read that he clearly mentions "Tampa Town" as the location for a rocket launch to the moon in "From the Earth to the Moon" and would like to throw this idea out there.

Question: if you could create an eastern coast version of Disneyland's Discovery Bay, how would you build this? Would you turn it into its own park or make it its own land (or sub-land) at any of the Walt Disney World parks?

I could see it being a great addition of a land if they ever decide to complete the loop around Tom Sawyer Island.

spacemt354

Chili's

Welcome!

I'd probably wait for the 5th gate as the MK is crowded as is and it is tough to fit in the other 3 parks. Also feel free to introduce yourself in the new imagineer thread!
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-imagineer-introduction-thread.913442/page-22

derek4ever

Original Poster
Welcome!

I'd probably wait for the 5th gate as the MK is crowded as is and it is tough to fit in the other 3 parks. Also feel free to introduce yourself in the new imagineer thread!
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-imagineer-introduction-thread.913442/page-22

Thanks alot for the welcome! I've been a lurker for months and decided to bring up some interesting perspectives here! If you have any concept art or atrraction ideas, please don't be shy because i'm thinking of ideas myself! 😊

Suchomimus

Yikes! What type of attractions would you include?
If this was for MK, I would add in the planned suspended dark ride based on The Island At The Top of The World, the proposed Lost river rapids attraction, and a Mystic Manor style dark ride through Professor Marvel’s laboratory.
For the 5th gate, it could be made a little bigger, and so besides the aforementioned attractions from above, there would also be the proposed Spark Loop Gap roller coaster and the 20KLUTS simulator, as well as Captain Nemo’s fort, which would be somewhat similar to Fortess Explorations.

derek4ever

Original Poster
OK my friends... after lots of thinking and brainstorming I will continue with my idea for an East Coast Discovery Bay.

This version would be called Discovery Riviera. It would be themed around Florida of the 1840s and will have a victorian theme with spanish influence sprinkled in there.

Jules Verne made a clear reference to Tampa in "From the Earth to the Moon" and this will be the E-ticket.

Discovery Riviera would be separated into hubs. Each hub will focus on a certain theme of discovery, much like Epcot with its Future World pavilions.

For now, I'm trying to decide which themes will be covered by the hubs. More updates coming soon! 😊😀

derek4ever

Original Poster
After days of suspense, I finally brainstormed enough to come up with a decent proposal.

1) Discovery Riviera will be based on steampunk science fiction in post- Civil War Florida. It will be divided into Hero's Riviera and International Riviera.

2) Hero's Riviera serves as a tribute to manmade discoveries and based on famous scifi authors. This section of the park will be divided into 3 subareas: Discovery Bay (focusing on imagination, sea and land), Wonders Hub (focusing on earth and communication) and Exploration Point (focusing on space, life, energy and transportation)

3) International Riviera will be focused on cultural discoveries and will be divided into 5 subareas: Europe, Americas, Asia, Oceania and Africa.

4) Disney characters can be used here but must fit into a certain theme of the area (no problem in International Riviera though)

What do you guys think? I have some ride ideas I created and will share with you soon! 😊😀

derek4ever

Original Poster
Here are some ride ideas for Hero's Riviera:

1) Space: Would be called Columbiad's Space Voyage

2) Sea: 2 rides, 1 called Nautilus' Mysterious Adventures and 1 called Mutiny on the Hispaniola

3) Life: 2 rides, 1 would be called the Castle of Chaos and 1 called Mad Doctor

4) Imagination: 2 rides, 1 called Carrousel of the Unknown and 1 called Adventures at Dreamport

5) Earth: 1 ride called Journey thru Time

6) Energy: 1 ride called Magnetic Marvel

7) Motion: 1 ride called Train Wreck

8) Land: 1 ride called Unchartered Lands

I'll explain the rides in detail soon while I come up with the cast of the Discovery Heroes. 😊😀

derek4ever

Original Poster
OK my friends! I've been busy coming up with concept art and more details for the rides and areas.

Hero's harbor will include famous people like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Characters from SciFi stories will also be included, mainly because they are an important aspect of this park and most of the rides.

My main focus is to balance the rides and not to make it a full blown adult park or a kiddie park.

Now, I'm focusing on balancing the ride technologies just right and making sure a certain ride (like the Nautilus or From the Earth to the Moon) don't become a carbon copy of any rides that are or were in any of the Disney parks.

Just a little more patience! 😀😎

spacemt354

Chili's
OK my friends! I've been busy coming up with concept art and more details for the rides and areas.

Hero's harbor will include famous people like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Characters from SciFi stories will also be included, mainly because they are an important aspect of this park and most of the rides.

My main focus is to balance the rides and not to make it a full blown adult park or a kiddie park.

Now, I'm focusing on balancing the ride technologies just right and making sure a certain ride (like the Nautilus or From the Earth to the Moon) don't become a carbon copy of any rides that are or were in any of the Disney parks.

Just a little more patience! 😀😎
Sounds very cool - can't wait to see it! Is the concept art hand-drawn or with a program?

derek4ever

Original Poster
Sounds very cool - can't wait to see it! Is the concept art hand-drawn or with a program?

My friend! Thanks for your response!

Im currently doing manual concept art and will scan it to my laptop once its up and going again!

These past few days I decided to watch YouTube videos on both From the Earth to the Moon from Disneyland Paris and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from Tokyo DisneySea... such fine pieces of imagineering!

My only intention is to create unique rides that may follow the ride's storyline but different ride systems and many hidden easter eggs! 😊😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom