Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Phicinfan

It was. It just didn’t involve tearing a bunch of stuff down.
Sorry, it was not. Yes there was a design for use, but it was clearly dumped by some "expert" who wanted to extend his legacy, per a gifted insider. So, since it was not. I will take anything extra I can get.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Must have been a hot and humid day when I walked through around the millennium celebration. Funny, it was never really noticeable before most of the original landscaping was removed. Just my recollection and observations.

Wouldn't be surprised if DAK's Oasis wasn't a reaction to the removal of all the original Communicore Plaza green spaces. IMO.

You had said you were there more recently than that. Do try to keep your made-up “When I last visited…” stories straight.

Rohde didn’t design the Oasis to “react” to something done years before at a different park. Nor were the canopies erected to hold up what became a pin trading station.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sorry, it was not. Yes there was a design for use, but it was clearly dumped by some "expert" who wanted to extend his legacy, per a gifted insider. So, since it was not. I will take anything extra I can get.

A design that was presented is an option. Just because it wasn’t chosen doesn’t mean it didn’t therefore exist.

Not sure what “extra” we’re getting with tearing down one building and replacing what was in the one left standing, though.

Phicinfan

A design that was presented is an option. Just because it wasn’t chosen doesn’t mean it didn’t therefore exist.

Not sure what “extra” we’re getting with tearing down one building and replacing what was in the one left standing, though.
A design was presented, how many times have we heard that? How long did those building sit there unused?

I love how these things go on this site. Everyone keeps wanting to live for what could have been, without realizing what REALLY is.

What is real here is for whatever sad pathetic reason, WDW did not want to use that building, they let it sit how long not utilized to what it could be. Now they have destroyed it to make room for other things, and all some do here is rip what is coming, simply because it is coming and not using something they did not have any intention to use.

I just don't get it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
something they did not have any intention to use.

I just don't get it.
There were intentions. They chose apointless option. Pointless for the many reasons posted in this thread.

The discussion is they chose the wrong option for the wrong reasons. Much like closing AE for SGE. Dumping oil rigs in the lagoon. DCA1.0. Etc.

If the numbers I’ve heard for the cost of this are anywhere near true even I’ll be gobsmacked.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

There were intentions. They chose apointless option. Pointless for the many reasons posted in this thread.

The discussion is they chose the wrong option for the wrong reasons. Much like closing AE for SGE. Dumping oil rigs in the lagoon. DCA1.0. Etc.

If the numbers I’ve heard for the cost of this are anywhere near true even I’ll be gobsmacked.
Which I fully agree with, I don't disagree that this was a mistake, and that they walked away from something that could have been better.

Again, and Again, and Again. Which IMO, means there was no real shot here.

Incomudro

A design was presented, how many times have we heard that? How long did those building sit there unused?

I love how these things go on this site. Everyone keeps wanting to live for what could have been, without realizing what REALLY is.

What is real here is for whatever sad pathetic reason, WDW did not want to use that building, they let it sit how long not utilized to what it could be. Now they have destroyed it to make room for other things, and all some do here is rip what is coming, simply because it is coming and not using something they did not have any intention to use.

I just don't get it.
"But I want the Epcot of the 90's back, even though the 90's have come and gone."
Goes the call.

Incomudro

I don't find it to be pointless.
Certainly no less pointless than cramming tech shows that age out inside of buildings.

Bocabear

I think everyone can agree that "Innoventions" time had passed... With a building the size of Communicore West, there seems to have been a limitless amount of things they could have done... It is sad that they chose to tear it down rather than fit it with new attractions...
EPCOT is a park full of open space... it was designed that way. No one needed another 20 acres of inert landscaping...It needed attraction development... Along with properly activated the misused Wonders Of Life Pavilion...

trainplane3

I think everyone can agree that "Innoventions" time had passed... With a building the size of Communicore West, there seems to have been a limitless amount of things they could have done... It is sad that they chose to tear it down rather than fit it with new attractions...
EPCOT is a park full of open space... it was designed that way. No one needed another 20 acres of inert landscaping...It needed attraction development... Along with properly activated the misused Wonders Of Life Pavilion...
I don't get why people are settling for some more landscaping. There was a literal warehouse you could stick a real Moana attraction in. I'd rather have that then some pathway with rocks and water.

And the other bonus is, get ready for it, storm cover. Something Florida gets a lot of. But thank god we're getting a pathway. What an incredible attraction that doesn't scream "we wanted to do more but the money ran out".

And much like DHS, Epcot is gaining one attraction (Rat) after all of this mess is done. Incredibly disappointing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What was to go in those buildings? Considering it's Iger/Chapek, probably not something very interesting, but I'm curious nonetheless.
Meet n greets, exhibition space and a new theatre. And some ancillary F&B

Slightly more than what we’re getting with a demolition and expensive rebuild after ripping out the middle of the park. Without thinking of the aesthetic, theming and balance issues. Nor money. We could have had a real repurposed and updated core plus a fixed Imagination.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't get why people are settling for some more landscaping. There was a literal warehouse you could stick a real Moana attraction in. I'd rather have that then some pathway with rocks and water.

And the other bonus is, get ready for it, storm cover. Something Florida gets a lot of. But thank god we're getting a pathway. What an incredible attraction that doesn't scream "we wanted to do more but the money ran out".

And much like DHS, Epcot is gaining one attraction (Rat) after all of this mess is done. Incredibly disappointing.
And it’s not like there isn’t open space where Journey of Water could fit. So many people wrongly describe it as being near The Land and The Seas that it seems such a location would have made a lot more sense and better connected with both pavilions.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Slightly more than what we’re getting with a demolition and expensive rebuild after ripping out the middle of the park. Without thinking of the aesthetic, theming and balance issues. Nor money. We could have had a real repurposed and updated core plus a fixed Imagination.

When I read things like this, it makes me think McTavish from “Caddyshack” put his best man on this “project” and this is what we got. 🤦‍♂️However, it’s yet another glaring failure of current management that has been loaded with them.

James Alucobond

This implies guests have any control at all over what happens in the parks aside from being able to complain ex post facto. None of us are "settling" for a design we had no say in. Rather, we're all moving on in our own way. For some, moving on means acknowledging that the EPCOT they loved no longer exists and that they'd rather spend their time elsewhere. For others, moving on means that, even though they recognize the loss and the shift away from the original intention of the park, they're still interested in seeing what's next.

Poseidon Quest

Interesting, but I suppose those particular elements are no great loss. It seems like the perfect amount of space for a dark ride or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom