Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't exactly hate it but it will probably be lackluster to the public that heard about a "Moana attraction" coming to Epcot. It seems lame to just slap an IP on what is literally a pathway with rocks, water, and some denser trees. This shouldn't be labeled as an attraction. I think it's pretty harmless overall but it's funny to IP a pathway.

How do ya feel about Rapunzel bathrooms? ;)

Fountain of Nations didn't belong in the edu-industrial Future World. It belonged in World Showcase, and yet, there it was. This is the new big water feature bridging "Celebration" and "Nature." At least it fits with being a path to The Sea.

To be true to the original intent of Epcot, the interactive waterpark wouldn't have Moana slapped on it, but, instead, a big Disani/Coca-Cola sign slapped on it. I know which one I prefer.

Horizons1

How do ya feel about Rapunzel bathrooms? ;)

Fountain of Nations didn't belong in the edu-industrial Future World. It belonged in World Showcase, and yet, there it was. This is the new big water feature bridging "Celebration" and "Nature." At least it fits with being a path to The Sea.

To be true to the original intent of Epcot, the interactive waterpark wouldn't have Moana slapped on it, but, instead, a big Disani/Coca-Cola sign slapped on it. I know which one I prefer.
The fountain did not fit because of the name? The fountain was fine. One could argue that nations coming together for the good of man lead to our achievements in science and industry, which would make it perfect for Future World.

What would be wrong with having corporate sponsorship such as Coke?

Cmdr_Crimson

I guess backwards flowing fountains aren't as impressive anymore..
tumblr_oxmxu1pDcc1ske259o1_1280.gifv

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The fountain did not fit because of the name? The fountain was fine. One could argue that nations coming together for the good of man lead to our achievements in science and industry, which would make it perfect for Future World.

You could argue it. But, AFAIK, Disney didn't. And there is nothing about the fountain in its theming that would suggest it. Throw a Prometheus in there if that was the intent.

But then again, there was nothing in the fountain's theming that suggested it was a fountain of nations. Throw a globe in it if that was the intent.

What would be wrong with having corporate sponsorship such as Coke?

I didn't say it was wrong.

I was pointing out that Future World was already slapped with IP. Corporate IP.

I don't mind if it's slapped with Disney IP.

yensidtlaw1969

You could argue it. But, AFAIK, Disney didn't. And there is nothing about the fountain in its theming that would suggest it. Throw a Prometheus in there if that was the intent.

But then again, there was nothing in the fountain's theming that suggested it was a fountain of nations. Throw a globe in it if that was the intent.
Dude . . . it WAS a fountain of Nations. They did one better than merely signaling with a globe that it was a fountain of nations; it was christened on opening day with a special ceremony where delegations from countries all over the world poured water from their Nations into the Fountain. It literally was a Fountain of Nations, more than just by name. The fountain was deeply symbolic of nations coming together for the good of man. More than merely slapping a globe on it ever would be.

1586352512111.png

1586352524366.png

Not to mention that they DID slap some globes on it, for good measure . . . :

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.29.26 AM.png

Surely you know your history better than this.

doctornick

To each their own, but I will be disappointed if Journey of Water doesn't happen. It looks like it will be a pretty addition to the front part of the park, meld well with the Seas, have edutainment value while adding a potential "place to explore" that is the hallmark of Disney parks. We'll see how overwhelming the Moana branding is, but it looks relatively mild from the concept art and I don't think it's a big deal if Moana or Maui or whomever is your "host" in talking about water.

As for the FoN, it was pretty and I didn't want it gone,but as long as it gets replaced by a significant water feature, I'm not crushed by it being removed. It wasn't exactly that sacrosanct of a feature of Epcot.

ImperfectPixie

To each their own, but I will be disappointed if Journey of Water doesn't happen. It looks like it will be a pretty addition to the front part of the park, meld well with the Seas, have edutainment value while adding a potential "place to explore" that is the hallmark of Disney parks. We'll see how overwhelming the Moana branding is, but it looks relatively mild from the concept art and I don't think it's a big deal if Moana or Maui or whomever is your "host" in talking about water.

As for the FoN, it was pretty and I didn't want it gone,but as long as it gets replaced by a significant water feature, I'm not crushed by it being removed. It wasn't exactly that sacrosanct of a feature of Epcot.
I agree with everything you said...except about the FoN...I loved that fountain.

doctornick

I agree with everything you said...except about the FoN...I loved that fountain.

Like I said, I liked the fountain and I didn't want it removed. But I don't think it was such a critical feature for Epcot that removing it was de facto wrong. I do hope that something of value gets added to the general area though since that is central to the land formally called Future World.

Doesn't the center of Epcot need and deserve something awesome, amazing and original? Does a Moana themed garden fit that notion?

Sure, but Journey of Water isn't "the center of Epcot" - it'll be the path from the center towards the Seas. I realize that it replaces part of Innoventions, but I wouldn't describe that as the central area like where the FoN was.

Edit: just to clarify... I'm concerned with the "spine" of Epcot and how it will turn out and I don't think that the table looking beer garden is any sort of answer. I just don't think that Journey of Water, in its location, is a "problem" - it being built wouldn't prevent a proper re-working of the spine into something more grandiose and fitting for Epcot. So, at least in the past coule of pages, I think JoW is taking the brunt of people's disgust for the overall plans for Epcot when it doesn't deserve it.

Also, without really knowing the full details of Journey of Water's execution, superficially it seems like it would be far more out of place in Fantasyland than it would next to the Seas. So I'm particularly confused as to why people would even suggest something like that. Relegating Fantasyland to some catch all for any cartoon IP seems just as stubbornly wrong headed to me as insisting that no IP belongs Epcot. YMMV.

Last edited:

The Grand Inquisitor

I know this might be a controversial opinion. But I'm excited for the revitalization plans for EPCOT. It will be great to see the park get some much needed love. I really hope the plans will still continue as planned. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a new Figment ride and Coco ride in the Mexico pavilion. Plus it would be great to see Honey I Shrunk the Audience replace the Pixar shorts theater.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Sure, but Journey of Water isn't "the center of Epcot" - it'll be the path from the center towards the Seas. I realize that it replaces part of Innoventions, but I wouldn't describe that as the central area like where the FoN was.
It's just a Heavily Themed Splash pad section Similar to Casey Jr in Storybook Circus that will suffice when the Future World East and Bridgeway one's get removed...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Dude . . . it WAS a fountain of Nations. They did one better than merely signaling with a globe that it was a fountain of nations; it was christened on opening day with a special ceremony where delegations from countries all over the world poured water from their Nations into the Fountain. It literally was a Fountain of Nations, more than just by name. The fountain was deeply symbolic of nations coming together for the good of man. More than merely slapping a globe on it ever would be.

View attachment 461868

View attachment 461869

Not to mention that they DID slap some globes on it, for good measure . . . :

View attachment 461870

Surely you know your history better than this.

I'm fully aware of the opening day ceremony, only because I read about it.

Any guest that didn't read a backstory for that fountain would have no idea by looking at it that it was a "Fountain of Nations."

They could have called it "Fountain of Industry" or "Fountain of Knowledge" and it would be the same: just a fountain.

Did the fountain's shows cycle through the traditional music of the nations of the world with the colored lights showing the colors of the nations?

A one day ceremony doesn't *theme* a thing. The thing has to have the theme incorporated into it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Which of course is your prerogative.

Let alone spending money and demolishing a perfectly usable building to build a cartoon fountain.

There were far far better options on every level.

That's not the point being discussed here. It's the branding.

Would you have been OK with keeping the building to save money and filled it with more Disney IP, then? It's all about saving money, right?

DreamfinderGuy

The issue I have most with the central spine is the symmetry being completely lost. Moana as a whole is a close second. Ironically if they were to have torn down both CC buildings I think I might be more okay with this project, although the preference would’ve been to keep them both.

The Grand Inquisitor

I’d say stick it where it’s suitable, but IPCOT seems fair game for anything now. Such a shame.
I have a question Marni what would you have done differently regarding some of these decisions? I'm really curious which ones you are fine with and others you would change. Like I like the idea of France and UK getting new rides and other stuff like Spaceship Earth getting updates. But I'm not the biggest fan of the Guardians coaster. I wish it was put in Hollywood Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom