Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

mickeyfan5534

Moana's just as much a part of Disney's tradition of adapting/remixing human folklore as the classics.

Fair enough and a reasonable point! So I'll give Moana a pass. But let's just say that much of the IP that is getting shoved around does not meet this standard. (Unless someone knows of a 2000 year old story involving Peter Quill or Wreck it Ralph?)
While not Peter Quill, superheroes have often been cited as a modern mythology akin that of the Greek heroes like Perseus, Jason and the Argonauts, and Hercules by folklorists and video games in general have been a defining art form for the late 20th and early 21st century. I can make an argument that both actually do end up fitting in Epcot for those reasons.

Jenny72

Well....I meant I would give Moana a pass for being an old story, not for being an ideal fit into Epcot, which deals with other issues (innovation, future, etc.). And while I take your point about video games and superheroes, if we're going to that level of abstraction, we could probably make an argument that nearly anything would fit into Epcot, which then becomes meaningless. And that's kind of the current problem.

I don't think the Moana story itself fits in Epcot thematically. That having been said, if this is anything like the concept art, it doesn't look bad (partially because I can barely tell it's Moana themed).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well....I meant I would give Moana a pass for being an old story, not for being an ideal fit into Epcot, which deals with other issues (innovation, future, etc.). And while I take your point about video games and superheroes, if we're going to that level of abstraction, we could probably make an argument that nearly anything would fit into Epcot, which then becomes meaningless. And that's kind of the current problem.

I don't think the Moana story itself fits in Epcot thematically. That having been said, if this is anything like the concept art, it doesn't look bad (partially because I can barely tell it's Moana themed).

Forget Future world theming, that's DOA as of D23.

FigmentJedi

While not Peter Quill, superheroes have often been cited as a modern mythology akin that of the Greek heroes like Perseus, Jason and the Argonauts, and Hercules by folklorists and video games in general have been a defining art form for the late 20th and early 21st century. I can make an argument that both actually do end up fitting in Epcot for those reasons.
Nah, Peter Quill's clearly being treated as the park's new Captain EO.

sedati

From Bioreconstruct, what views could be...

Why they never put anything at the sides flanking Spaceship Earth baffles me. At the clearings above you can see what I think is prime-prime real estate in Epcot that has never been anything but backstage and trees. Opening it up for sightlines would be wonderful, but the monorail beam would still be an obstruction. Still, this would be impressive all the way to The Land. If not, imagine a Starbucks or another food service that had a patio looking out at the the full-reveal of Spaceship Earth- a view currently restricted solely to the main entrance.

Last edited:

KikoKea

It looks something like the water thing in 7DMT where it changes color when you put your hand under the water. I think it is great they are adding a water feature, particularly after trashing the Fountain of Nations. If there's interactive parts for kids (and big kids, too!) that is even better. I'm hoping for more water features in the parks, as well.

FigmentJedi

And how exactly did Captain EO fit into Epcot Center?
Effects technology and the same superficial "Let's just put Tomorrowland-y things in Epcot" that got us Splashtacular and that circus that called elephants "Martian Mastodons". Though I do suppose that a story about toppling an evil empire with the creative powers of song and dance does seem Imagination Pavilion appropriate.

RoysCabin

Effects technology and the same superficial "Let's just put Tomorrowland-y things in Epcot" that got us Splashtacular and that circus that called elephants "Martian Mastodons". Though I do suppose that a story about toppling an evil empire with the creative powers of song and dance does seem Imagination Pavilion appropriate.

Yeah, pretty much; the allure at the time was 3D technology, which was having a renaissance in the 1980s, and given how Journey into Imagination placed an emphasis on experiencing imagination through all kinds of avenues including the arts and performance, I don't really see the issue.

I think way, way too often people are trying too hard to make a "Well, you say THIS doesn't belong in EPCOT, but what about THAT?" semantics kind of argument instead of addressing things as they are, were, or will be. Like the Moana and "timeless" argument before; yes, the myths of Maui have been around forever, but the story told in and the presentation of Moana the film is very much of its time, which wasn't the case with a lot of classic Disney animated film output (obviously Walt put his own spin on classic fairy tales, and numerous aspects of ANY work will be "of their time" in many regards, but there's levels of overtness and subtlety on these things). That's not to say an "of its time" thing can't be in a theme park, just that calling a film that's not even a half decade old "timeless" and in need of a theme park attraction likely meant to last in the neighborhood of at least a decade or two is a bit arguable.

And as for "but how did THAT fit into EPCOT Center?" point, I highly doubt anybody was or is calling for some kind of insane level of purity, but there's a big difference between smaller features and side attractions within larger pavilions/experiences and doing something that fundamentally alters the nature an entire attraction or potentially the nature of the park itself.

The Grand Inquisitor

From Bioreconstruct, what views could be...
View attachment 412839
Why they never put anything at the sides flanking Spaceship Earth baffles me. At the clearings above you can see what I think is prime-prime real estate in Epcot that has never been anything but backstage and trees. Opening it up for sightlines would be wonderful, but the monorail beam would still be an obstruction. Still, this would be impressive all the way to The Land. If not, imagine a Starbucks or another food service that had a patio looking out at the the full-reveal of Spaceship Earth- a view currently restricted solely to the main entrance.
Will this lead to Moana possibly replacing Nemo at the seas pavilion?

donnylambb

They are tearing down a building to put it in and completely re-routing how you walk into the park...I think that is pretty invasive!
some of those buildings I think you will agree need to be torn down or updated. I see your point though if they are tearing buildings down that is invasive!

Bocabear

Update...These buildings could easily be updated. The base architecture is beautiful...We have reached that point where it has been terted up with crappy paint schemes and window decals and hidden behind landscaping for so long the original lines are kind of lost... Open the windows back up, a fresh clean color scheme... Get rid of the Party Tent in World Showcase and move the festivals into this location...
I would scrape the entire plaza between the communicore buildings and re landscape and reconfigure...Less clutter, Clearer pathways and vistas...More like it was when it opened... Move the fountain Of Nations out of the central access walkway and to the center of the plaza... Before they tear down the symmetry of EPCOT and Futureworld, they should consider they have been using a party tent for 2 decades when they could use existing buildings for this purpose...
Build a rooftop bar and gardens on the existing buildings...There are ways to do this that don't destroy the overall legacy of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom