Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

wdwtopten

Except The Seas is much more than just a "mildly cute little ride" - it is a pavilion with multiple things to do. It is still one of the largest aquariums in the world.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. The draw of The Seas, to me, is the aquarium. The ride is a bonus (that could be improved upon, yes.)

We're planning to go during the arts festival in the new year and wondered if we should bother while the place is all walled up.... but it seems like Epcot might be under construction for the next 10 years anyway.

The World Showcase is the best thing about Epcot, to me. And the current work being done doesn't impact that (outside of ratatouille, but nothing is closed due to that).

Tonto

For me, 1980s EPCOT Center was amazing, as a kid. I liked it more than MK (and don't get me wrong, I loved MK).
Yeah, I was much younger than that, with that being said you would be the rare bird... The target demographic was not 15 year old kids. It was boring for me and even to this day find the edutainment stuff to be oversimplified and too dumbed down to find interesting. IMO I'm glad Old Epcot is dead. Time to take it out to the barn and officially hit with the shovel. Whaaackkkk!!!

UNCgolf

Yeah, I was much younger than that, with that being said you would be the rare bird... The target demographic was not 15 year old kids. It was boring for me and even to this day find the edutainment stuff to be oversimplified and too dumbed down to find interesting. IMO I'm glad Old Epcot is dead. Time to take it out to the barn and officially hit with the shovel. Whaaackkkk!!!

I don't think he's as rare as you think. I was like 6 or 7 when I first went to EPCOT and I thought it was MUCH better than Magic Kingdom -- it's what made me love Disney World. All the rides there were so much better than anything anywhere else. The only really good things still left in Future World are the remnants of the original park; everything they've built since has been worse than what was there before.

UNCgolf

Except The Seas is much more than just a "mildly cute little ride" - it is a pavilion with multiple things to do. It is still one of the largest aquariums in the world.

That's not to say the whole pavilion couldn't use some work or that it's the best that it can possibly be. The ride is the mechanism that delivers you into the pavilion. I personally still enjoy watching the fish and exhibits in there. It's very relaxing and generally peaceful.

The old ride along with the hydrolators was much much much better than the current Nemo IP overlay. It blew my mind as a 6 year old kid; I honestly thought we'd been transported under the ocean somehow. I can still remember thinking about it and wondering how it happened since we weren't right next to the ocean.

It definitely needed updating, but what they did to it was a travesty. The best thing they could possibly do with an new update would be to return it to a newer version of the original concept, but I won't hold my breath.

Now I just go in through the exit so I can do the aquarium without having to ride the Nemo thing.

RoysCabin

Yep, count me among those kids who liked EPCOT Center more than Magic Kingdom; I was born in '85, was lucky enough to go annually for most of my childhood, and while MK was always great EPCOT just felt right up my alley: focusing on the future, having a few less characters (I like the characters, but I also liked being in a place that felt so different without as many of them there), plus, of course, dinosaurs!

It was always tough to pick my favorite park as a kid, but maybe it's just being born in the 80s or something, my heart has usually been with EPCOT.

Bocabear

Oh ok thanks for the info! I hope the Journey of Water is cool! I still think Moana deserves more than a water walk though but hey its better than nothing :D
Actually I would prefer they do nothing and wait until they figure out how to do a proper ride....which will of course open in either Shanghai or Tokyo...the second this is done... It is unfortunate that soon after we get the lame version, they announce an expanded, better planned version of the ride for another park.. How about just make a beautiful interactive water feature and save the Moana part for when they are ready to be serious about doing something great with the ip.

The Grand Inquisitor

Actually I would prefer they do nothing and wait until they figure out how to do a proper ride....which will of course open in either Shanghai or Tokyo...the second this is done... It is unfortunate that soon after we get the lame version, they announce an expanded, better planned version of the ride for another park.. How about just make a beautiful interactive water feature and save the Moana part for when they are ready to be serious about doing something great with the ip.
:confused:Yeah

Sir_Cliff

I don't think he's as rare as you think. I was like 6 or 7 when I first went to EPCOT and I thought it was MUCH better than Magic Kingdom -- it's what made me love Disney World. All the rides there were so much better than anything anywhere else. The only really good things still left in Future World are the remnants of the original park; everything they've built since has been worse than what was there before.
I first went to WDW with my family in 1994, and we all ended up liking EPCOT much more than MK (or MGM). I think I got there literally just in time as, unfortunately, it's been a long downhill slide since then. I've been back with friends a few times in recent years and they've struggled to understand how I see anything in Epcot... or Figment, for that matter!

Bocabear

I hope "Better than nothing!" is not the new slogan for the Epcot redo. ;)
LOL I know! I am hopeful but struggle to understand how these changes are going to add up t something substantial...Like DHS they have let the park languish so long without any new attractions that they are now in a game of catch-up and it will take more than two rides to fix it...

Brer Panther

Quick question, whatever happened that "Moana Invades the Tiki Room" thing that's been rumored? Is that still in consideration? Was it ever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom