Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and how do the Coconut Pirates figure into the rain water cycle on the planet?

Ocean Dispersal​

The coconut seed is especially well adapted to increasing its range by the method of ocean dispersal. The seed floats when its outer layers dry out. The buoyant coconuts drift on ocean currents and end up on tropical beaches where they germinate and take root. Coconuts have traveled the seas to increase their habitat from the Malay peninsula to low-lying areas near the sea in the Caribbean, Australia, the South Sea islands, and anywhere else the temperature and rainfall lie within the coconut palm's growth parameters.​

Clamman73

Face Palm GIF

Bocabear

i get the point you are making. but it's themed to Moana, and those are Moana theming elements
well obviously... but the defenders of this project in this location kept saying it was an educational exhibit about the cycle of water... not a water play area or character meet end greet... as the project has proceeded it tends to look more like that Moana Splash Pad and Meet and Greet I was worried about... Even if it is a very bookish educational exhibit which it clearly isn't, I would still argue that this is a tone-deaf location selection... sadly.

doctornick

Interesting that no one is acknowledging that the second showcases Squirt from Pixar’s Finding Nemo, which suggests a wider selection of IPs, perhaps a collection of water-related IPs, will be included, instead of just having Moana in isolation.
No so sure that’s Squirt specifically versus just a sea turtle in general.

James Alucobond

well obviously... but the defenders of this project in this location kept saying it was an educational exhibit about the cycle of water... not a water play area or character meet end greet... as the project has proceeded it tends to look more like that Moana Splash Pad and Meet and Greet I was worried about... Even if it is a very bookish educational exhibit which it clearly isn't, I would still argue that this is a tone-deaf location selection... sadly.
I don't believe the majority of people think the location is great. It obviously could and should have gone elsewhere since there's tons of other space that didn't intrude on the monorail ring. However, despite the fact that people repeat it ad nauseum, the splash pad / meet-and-greet comparison continues to be strange based on what we can glean thus far. I would say a much more apt comparison might be a pathed botanical garden, likely with several educational stations throughout and topiary / sculpture that depict characters from Disney IP. As far as we can see from the concept art, there only seem to be a couple of places where water is actually within reach of guests, and those locations don't seem to be architected to encourage or even allow a full soak. I would think they would want to discourage this kind of behavior (as well as in-attraction meet-and-greets) to prevent a queue-like backup. They want to move bodies through this thing.

I'm not saying it's impossible that I'm wrong; I just feel the assertion that this looks more and more like a splash pad is the exact opposite of the truth. The more that gets built and the more concept art we see, the less it looks like a splash pad when compared to the initial impressionistic World Celebration art. I guess I just don't understand the pathological need to bring this up when there are plenty of other actually valid things to complain about (including expressing a general fear, albeit currently unfounded, that there may be more splash pad-esque features hiding deeper in the attraction that we're not privy to yet).

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

The entire park and story is dated.
It's a future that never happened.
Modern areas - are not expanses of grey, barren concrete anymore.
(I know Epcot did have more greenery decades ago.)
Many modern plazas, and structures now have lots of natural looking areas.
I think of the High Line in New York City.
Yes, it's got elements "children will like" or rather recognize from the movie - as most areas of the parks have recognizable elements from Disney films.
As for how exciting you'll find this restful area, that's for you to judge personally.
It's not even completed yet.
Perhaps give it a chance and walk through it when it's done, instead of hating it on some principal that it shouldn't exist on some premise of Epcot that hasn't existed since the early 90's.
There are visuals in Singapore that are green while also appearing futuristic

1669483128344.png

In actuality it's leaning into the unique plant life aesthetic that would add to the modern futurism. This is a magic card with a "space" aesthetic

1669483226807.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom