Journey into Imagination flume ride...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I just had a little idea that Since they want to add thrill rides so bad why not build a flume ride based on the origional Journey into Imagination. Since Dreams are a part of the imagination why not have the climb to the drop be the nightmare part and land in the finale. After the drop take a cruise past the upside down fountain. Just imagine riding down a river thru dream finders painting with real waterfalls.

Cmdr_Crimson

When Fans bring up ideas to TDO....

IMFearless

Personally, I think there are enough boat rides in Epcot, I wouldn't mind a water ride in DHS. I definitely think Imagination needs to stay a longer format dark ride though. If they move to heavily in the thrill ride direction the park will suffer in my opinion. A variety of experiences seems to work better than too much of one thing.

Minnie Mum

I agree with IMF. Epcot already has 3 boat rides. And they for sure don't need to turn this into a ride with height restrictions.

Disney Dad 3000

I just had a little idea that Since they want to add thrill rides so bad why not build a flume ride based on the origional Journey into Imagination. Since Dreams are a part of the imagination why not have the climb to the drop be the nightmare part and land in the finale. After the drop take a cruise past the upside down fountain. Just imagine riding down a river thru dream finders painting with real waterfalls.

Pixar Studios presents…

DREAM MOUNTAIN
Part of a top-to-bottom reimagineering of Epcot’s Imagination Pavilion

download

Some of Disney World's biggest thrills have always seemed to come in the form of mountains, specifically the classic mountain range over at the Magic Kingdom. Never before has Disney closed so many of its E-ticket rides at one time, and this has created a big hole that needs to be filled. The main question that arose, was what could possibly take the place of such beloved attractions, and the answering while surprising, not only will add back an E-ticket ride, but also build upon the decaying bones of another beloved attraction and its signature characters.

Ladies and gentlemen, Disney has finally listen to voices of thousands of fans and has turned their attention to the Imagination Pavilion to give it some much needed love and attention. Gone is the Imagination Institute, and in it's place the return of Dreamfinder in Journey into Imagination 4.0, a revamped ImageWorks, and the thrilling and visually impressive Dream Mountain. Together, these three areas will not only, finally bring a true, cohesive Imagination Pavilion to Epcot, but it will expand the mythos behind the story of Dreamfinder.
download

Backstory
Dreamfinder, a lowly inventor form a bygone era, was a man of great creativity and imagination, but his efforts were continuously stifled and came to nothing. His inventions were unlike anything the world had seen, and as nobody seemed to share in his joy of discovery, the Dreamfinder slowly felt his thirst for the new wither.

His loss of drive and inspiration weighed on him, and it was almost as if the color of the world was fading as his dreams drifted further and further away. There had to be a way to get his dreams, his inspiration back! Tirelessly, he worked day and night until he created his dream machine, a device capable to capturing colors, sights, and sounds to help ignite a spark in him, a spark of imagination.

In the first test run of his Dream Machine, Dreamfinder was astounded to find he created a figment, and not just any figment, but a figment of imagination. Seemingly pulled form the memories of his imaginary friend from his childhood, Dreamfinder named his new friend, Figment. Encouraged, by this latest development and Figment's enthusiastic support, Dreamfinder continued to work on his Dream Machine until one day, a portal of pure mesmonic energy opened into the world of imagination.

Although initially hesitant, Figment curiosity and child-like wonder convinced Dreamfinder to throw caution to the wind and enter the portal on his newly updated, flying Dream Machine. Together, the twosome explored the realms of imagination meeting sound sprites, a Chimera, and many fanciful creatures. But these realms also held many perils that threatened the world of imagination and dreams. Fear from the Bewilderness and Doubt from the horrible land of Nightmare Nation lived to suck the hope and dreams from the world. Any sparks that came into contact with these two, withered into nothingness and were consumed.

One unfortunate day, Fear and Doubt caught up to Dreamfinder and Figment, angered that their flights of fancy were creating more dreams and inspirations for the world. During the attack, Dreamfinder learned that Fear and Doubt had caused no one to believe in his inventions, hoping to dash his wealth of imagination and cause the world to lose a little bit of light. Fear and Doubt would consume all of the imagination in the world! Angered, Dreamfinder and Figment forced Fear and Doubt back into the deepest realms of imagination, but Dreamfinder knew that those two would always remain unless the spark of imagination came back into the world. As he would later become known for saying, "Imagination belongs to all of us" and Dreamfinder vowed to never let Fear and Doubt take that away from anyone ever again.

Determined to put inspiration back into the world, Dreamfinder settled into his new home, the Dreamport, in the Realm of Imagination. From here, Dreamfinder and his faithful friend Figment, took daily flights of fancy, collecting anything that may spark the imagination before returning back to the Dreamport to store them. The great question now was how to send out these sparks into the world? Some could be sent into daydreams and flashes of inspiration, but with so many sparks ready to go, Dreamfinder would need a way to send them across the realms and the world.

Luckily for the world, Dreamfinder has surrounded himself with many sparks of imagination, and came up with the idea of sending the majority of sparks through dreams. So our heroes set of to find the tallest point in all of the realms and settled on Dream Mountain. This became the gathering point for all of the sparks of imagination, and from here, Dreamfinder can monitor the dreams of the world and fill it with as many sparks as he can.

Journey into Imagination 4.0
As part of this grand update of Imagination, Journey into Imagination welcomes back Dreamfinder in an all new adventure. Inspired by the best selling comic series Figment, Journey into Imagination takes guests on a journey with Dreamfinder and Figment through the realms of Imagination. Anything can happen on this all new dark ride, bringing a return to the semi-omnimover that was so famous in the original and, as always, the classic One Little Spark.

Guests will exit into a shared area called Inspiration Station that is also the exit for the pavilion's signature attraction: Dream Mountain.

And now, for a very special introduction, here is Dreamfinder and Figment!

“Oh-Ho! Gracious me! So happy to see you and meet you my fellow Dreamseekers! Although, I wonder… Have I met some you before? Perhaps you sir, yes you! The tall fellow in the back with those wonderful mouse ears? No?”

“Hey! Reminds me of someone I-I-I know! Ohhhhh Who’s the leader of the club that’s made for you and meeee, M-I-C…”

“Now, now, Figment, we haven’t time to reminisce and reacquaint! The Dreamliners are steaming up, and the idea bags have been emptied! We must inform our volacious volunteers of their duties! We have quite the task ahead! Now, Dreamseekers, forgive me for neglecting a propitious introduction… I am the Dreamfinder – a fellow Dreamseeker as yourselves. I travel far and wide gathering the Sparks of Imagination from all the corners of the globe to…”

“Corners? CORNERS?!? I thought the world was a globe? How can the big blue ball have corners?!?”

“Oh, Figment, anything is possible if you use your imagination! But regrettably, it seems an unforeseen unfortunate circumstance has befallen us! Here at the Dreamport is our lovely control center for operations, but the Sparks of Imagination are stored far away in Dream Mountain, our personal plethoric warehouse of wonders! Inside the Dream Mountain, the Sparks of Imagination fly and collide into new and intriguing ideas, concepts, and dreams! Occasionally, the Sparks have had, ahem, misfired into calamitous conundrums… some call them brainstorms…”

“Ooooo neato! I had a brainstorm last night - it was all big and wild, and suddenly this HUUGGGE…”

“Figment! We haven’t the time to discuss your nocturnal escapades! Time is of the essence! Forgive me, but we must dispense with the courteous cordialities and proceed to the point! The brainstorm is growing out of control! We need you, my fellow Dreamseekers, to travel to Dream Mountain in order to capture and contain the Sparks of Imaginations it has freed! Your vehicles of choice will be the aforementioned Dreamliners, a transport mechanism meticulously designed as a most adequate modicum of motion through the Dream Mountain! Proceed with caution, Dreamseekers! Brainstorms can be unpredictable.”

“Unpredictably unpredictable?”

“Indeed, Figment! Regardless, I believe that with the combined forces of our imaginations we will be successful in our quest! For as you well know…”

(together): “Anything is possible if you use your imagination!”

Guests enter through the queue which is the hub where sparks of inspiration (after being sent to the Dreamport) are stored to be sent out into the world as different kinds of dreams (regular night dream, day dreams, etc), They are stored in a large clear glass vaults where they resemble little basketball-sized spheres of multicolored ether that bounce around and ping off the sides of the glass.
portrait_incredible.jpg
As guests walk by each container, the can hear different sounds or one of the idea balls of light transforms into an image. Examples: children's laughter, music notes, a unicorn, a dragon shooting fire, so on and so forth.
dream_bubbles_by_deadteddy17-d62link.png
Connected to each container is a steampunk inspired tube that lights up and shows a little idea ball is sucked out and taken away. Further in the queue, guests can see the massive, retro/futuristic machine in the center of the room. (Similar to the below fountain).
fetch
The idea balls are sucked into here where they are sent out into the world. Several radar screens show what looks to be a brightly colored mass of clouds expanding to cover the screen with the readout out flashing a danger sign.

Once passed the main room, guests are ushered in small groups into a private meeting room. Here a large screen comes to life and Dreamfinder appears to greet the guests. He welcomes everyone to the dream headquarters and hoped you had a nice visit. Suddenly, Figment flies into the room, panicked and worried. He tells Dreamfinder that a huge brainstorm is brewing. Dreamfinder pulls up the weather radar (like the one seen in the queue). The colorful storm clouds are churning around the spark containers with lightening shooting out dangerously. Dreamfinder tries to tell Figment to switch on the safety valve but it's too late. The lightening has cracked the containment tubes and the sparks are being sucked out!

Dreamfinder turns tot he guests and pleads for the guests' help, telling us he needs to catch those sparks before they run wild. He directs us to go to the Dreamport to board our vehicles, while he flies ahead to assess the damage.

download

LOADING – THE DREAMPORT
Loading occurs within the heart of the Dreamport, in a chamber shaped like a colorful biomechanical brain. Wires, pumps and gears are like manmade neurons. Overhead is a coaster track which resembles a rainbow spinal cord. This space also suggests a Victorian train station, complete with a beautiful tile mural beyond the train loading. This mural depicts the mesmonic landscapes of Dream Mountain, which guests will soon experience.

RIDE VEHICLES - DREAMLINER
Guests climb aboard their Dreamliner, a flying contraption engineered by Dreamfinder himself to navigate the wild subconscious atmosphere of Dream Mountain. Dreamliners are fashioned in a riveted “dreampunk” style very similar to the iconic Dream Machine blimp. Riders sit suspended below the tracks with legs dangling, secured by a simple lap bar. Each Dreamliner train sits 16 riders in 8 cars, each car seating 2 across. This Vekoma family invert model allows for better sightseeing than B&M’s 4-across model, ideal for the fantastic imagery of Dream Mountain.

download

download

All Dreamliner seats feature onboard speakers. These provide an on-ride musical soundtrack, and also allow Dreamfinder to give riders updates on their mission.

Due to the nature of inverted coasters, Dream Mountain includes a free locker system near the entrance where guests may store their valuables for up to 2 hours.

STATS
Type: Suspended Family Coaster
Manufacturer: Vekoma
Launch system: LSM (Linear Synchronous Motors)
Speed: 50 mph
Height: 105’
Inversions: 0
Height restriction: 44”
Capacity: 1,500 riders per hour
Duration: 3 minutes

download

DARK RIDE – THE GENTLE DREAMSCAPE
The Dreamliner starts out slowly, magnetically propelled at a slow dark ride pace. Riders enter a Dreamscape, still housed within the protective glass shells of the Dreamport. Below riders is a freeform organic landscape of moonrocks and solid rainbows. Animatronic bird-sized whales fly about. Giant cotton pods float past riders’ heads, emitting a cornucopia of sweet scents. An animatronic unicorn stands atop a grassy mountain, which rises from the earth to reveal an literal rock face.

download

Into a towering forest of trees, whose trunks transition into beams of light reaching for the stars. One huge tree uproots itself and spins 180 degrees. Its roots transform, revealing themselves as the antlers of a majestic animatronic elk. A distant full moon (a screen effect) breaks apart into a mass of bioluminescent butterflies, transforming into a crescent moon.

download

Through cracked glass walls, riders catch glimpses of the rampaging brainstorm in the wild subconsciousness of Dream Mountain. Loose Sparks of Imagination fly past. Through ribbed, riveted corridors, the Dreamliner heads towards a mental airlock.

LAUNCH – FIRING SYNAPSES
The Dreamliner proceeds into a thick maze of ganglia and synapses. Dreamfinder comes over the speakers: “My Sparks of Imagination are running wild in the brainstorm! You must retrieve them! Launching into Dream Mountain in three…two…one…”

Neon synapses light up from within! The Dreamliner hurtles forward (via Linear Synchronous Motor launch) at 40 mph! Riders sail up a 105 foot climb, which quickly carries them to the space behind Journey into Imagination, and into…Dream Mountain!

download

COASTER INTRO – GOOD DREAMS
The entirety of Dream Mountain is enclosed like Space Mountain. An artful use of darkness, projections, and physical scenery combines to simulate a wild, surrealistic brainstorm. Tracks are hidden throughout. The inverted coaster creates an unparalleled sensation of flight!

download

Riders enjoy a delightful fast flight through swirling colorful brainstorm winds. Projections ahead depict a dozen zipping Sparks, realized much like Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace Mountain. Rainbow lasers blast out from the Dreamliner and capture these Sparks, one-by-one.

Riders continually sail past imagery of good dreams. Through rainbows and past fairy lights. Great big bubbles burst into shards of color. Distant skies spin in ever-changing geometric fractals. Clouds transform into Dali-esque flying clocks, and vice versa. Everything follows by the strange anti-logic of a dream, highlighted by the delightful sensation of flight.

download

The chase continues along fun helixes, turns and hills. Eventually only one Spark remains. It dives down a darkened hole.

Dreamfinder again comes over the speakers: “Great work, Dreamseekers! Only one Spark remains.” A pause. “Oh no, it’s headed into nightmares! After it!”

2ND LAUNCH – THE KALEIDOSCOPE TUNNEL
The Dreamliner slides into a spinning psychedelic kaleidoscope tunnel. Without slowing, it immediately launches forwards and upwards, at a thrilling top speed of 50 mph, into the suppressed memories of Dream Mountain…into the world of nightmares!

download

COASTER CLIMAX – NIGHTMARES
Colors quickly drain from the kaleidoscope. The Dreamliner emerges into a colorless void, a frightful desaturated dark cousin of good dreams. The only thing of color is the last remaining Spark, which races ahead of the trains.

download

Here the coaster hits its highest intensity. Trains zig back and forth at top speeds, and race into high-force helixes. Trains hit a pitch black pocket of what Dreamfinder called a “falling nightmare,” and plunge down the steepest drop this ride system allows!

In this terrifying colorless world, a shadowy figure emerges. This is Nightmare personified, a gigantic shadow monster with glowing evil eyes. It pursues riders as they pursue the Spark, past scary imagery.

download

A thick mist hides the floor. From these clouds emerge huge jagged thorns infested with bugs. Eyeballs with bat wings float in nothingness. The train navigates a twisted forest of branches, paralleled by skeletal clouds above. While braving a corridor of disembodied hands (which grow additional hands on their fingers), the Dreamliner sends forth a blast and captures the final Spark of Imagination!

Dreamfinder: “You’ve done it! Quickly, now, back to the Dreamport!”

The Dreamliner dives into a sudden tunnel. It slows along a final brake run, housed within a rainbow corridor. Speeding colored lights match pace with decelerating train cars. Riders return to the Dreamport. The dozen captured Sparks unload via glass tube back into containment jars, all alongside an animatronic Dreamfinder. He thanks riders for retrieving his Sparks of Imagination.

rainbow-tunnel-by-travelpod-member-misocutlet-kuwana-japan.jpeg

V.R. OVERLAY – VIRTUAL SURREALITY
To renew interest in Dream Mountain years after it opens, Imagineering has planned a seasonal virtual reality overlay, known as Virtual Surreality. With V.R. headsets, riders may now brave an even crazier dreamscape of pure light and color. With the freedom such an overlay allows, we can regularly enhance Dream Mountain with more and more delightful dream imagery!

“Glorious gleefully jubilant celebration! You’ve done it, Dreamseekers!”

“Wahoo! It looked pretty bad for a little bit back there! I think we may have lost somebody… Hey! Where is that funny looking kid from the back row? Did the big black blob get him?!?”

“Now Figment, what have I told you about jumping to conclusions? I took a very meticulous role count, and all Dreamseekers are present and accounted for!”

“If you say so, Dreamy! But hey! Now all our friends can come play with us here in the Dreamport! Now that Dream Mountain is back in tip top shape, our imaginations can run freeeeeee!”

“Ha ha! Quite right, my purple friend! Thank you again, my fellow Dreamseekers! We certainly couldn’t have done it without your imaginations! Let us take Figment up on his inviting invitation to enjoy the fun and fancy-free exhibits in the ImageWorks labs! You all have certainly earned the reward!”

POST-RIDE - ImageWorks

Inspiration Station
Guests disembarking from either the Journey into Imagination or Dream Mountain will be let off at the shared exit of Inspiration Station, the home for the gift shop Bright Ideas and the candy shop Sweet Dreams.

Sweet Dreams
is a two in one candy shop selling your very own edible sparks of imagination and fruity drinks to wash them down with. These sparks are actually multi-colored bon-bons that guest can take home in their very own "glass" vaults. For one fee, guests are free to choose what colors and flavors they want from each of the dream machines until their vault is full. Of course, these sparks are also good with the shop's signature lightbulb drinks. A variety of flavors including the standard sodas are served in souvenir lightbulb cups with a glowing nub to light up your drink.
full

From here guests can exit back into Epcot passed the green area with a more naturalistic jumping fountains, or head upstairs to ImageWorks.

full

Once in Inspiration Station, guests can head upstairs to the reinstated ImageWorks where guests can use their own sparks of imagination in new and creative ways. The ever coloring changing stair case lights up as guests ascend the stair case to the second level and the open air creative areas. For guests needing to take the elevator, this trip is no less enchanting. Figment has hijacked the elevator, and provides comedic entertainment on the short trip up.

As the doors open, the wondrous glass roof of the pavilion is as bright as its was in its original form. The glass is mildly tinted to allow the sun to come in and create rainbow patterns on the floors and walls. Turning to the left, guests will enter into the main hub through the rainbow corridor and then disperse into six different themed areas.

• Music Makers is an area themed entirely around music and the creation of. Guests can entertain themselves with the Stepping Tones, creating a song and try their hand at singing it, or make music with a wave of the hand.
  • Painters Palate is another area dedicated to the arts. Here guests can paint giant murals using giant paint brushes, color with electronic paint brushes, create their own signature crayon colors for purchase, or draw free hand.
  • Make and Create is especially designed for the hands on experience. Kids can get their hands dirty with the sand pit, build with Legos, or even with moldable clay. The highlight of this area is the opportunity to make their own fireworks show.
  • Dance and Play is a chance for those to insert themselves into a movie, design their own outfits on the doodle tab, or practice their dance moves against the flash wall.
  • Scientific Discoveries is a short hands on show hosting a small number of guests in an effort to show the wonders of science. The host is "helped" out by Figment who pops in to give distinctly unhelpful advice. The most common activity is the making of slime. This area is also home to Flights of Fancy, a indoor skydiving simulator to help guests experience the most common of dreams, flight.
  • Meet and Greet is the chance to meet and talk with Dreamfinder and Figment in person. This area is covered in ceiling to floor screens with ever changing images that were once found in the queue of Soarin'. When not meeting guests, Dreamfinder wanders around ImageWorks to interact and play with guests while Figmnent hops over to Scientific Discoveries to help there.

Beloved figures like Dreamfinder and Figment have been a staple of early imagineers looking to create wonderfully creative characters that could inspire a generation, and inspire they did. Now, with the opening of Dream Mountain, a whole new generation can experience these characters in a new light while the nostalgic generation can appreciate the updated designs and stories. With the combination of the family ride of Journey into Imagination and the thrilling coaster of Dream Mountain, everyone has a chance to be inspired, and maybe it will spark something inside of them.

I thought this idea from ...
@FigmentPigments
@D Hindley
@kmbmw777
@The90skid
@Sephirenn
@mickeyfan5534
@gonzoWDW

...was pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom