Jon Stewart To Leave The Daily Show

Arthur Wellesley

Original Poster
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/02/10/jon-stewart-quitting-daily-show/23196893/
"Another late-night host is calling it quits: Jon Stewart told his audience Tuesday that he'll step down from Comedy Central's The Daily Show by the end of this year, when his contract expires.

The network confirmed his planned exit with a statement from president Michele Ganeless: "For the better part of the last two decades, I have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart. His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparalleled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come."

Stewart had been hinting at his restlessness while promoting Rosewater, his directorial debut, last fall, telling NPR he'd never find another job he's as well suited for. "That being said, I think there are moments when you realize that that's not enough anymore, or maybe it's time for some discomfort."

But the timing of the news was a surprise, coming just weeks after Stephen Colbert left The Colbert Report, which Stewart produced, to succeed David Letterman at CBS in September. And it leaves Comedy Central, already suffering from Colbert's departure, with a big hole in its late-night lineup."

To be quite honest, this upset me more than when Leno, Letterman, or Ferguson announced their departures. I hate to see Stewart leave. :(

Arthur Wellesley

Original Poster
I have so many favorite Jon Stewart moments over the years. The one that really stands out is his powerful monologue he gave during the first episode after September 11th, 2001. He put aside the silliness we've all grown to love, and took the time to tell America, still healing after one of it's darkest hours, that it's okay to laugh again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom