Johnvree's April/May 2004 Trip Report: Prologue

Primary Cast:

Me (John, age 34). Disney fanatic. This is my 9th trip to the World. My wife and I honeymooned at the Polynesian in 1998. I am the trip planner.

DW (Robyn, age 33). Loves Disney films and WDW. This is her 4th time to the World.

DS (Drew, age 5 ½). The more reserved of our two kids. But when it comes to attractions and rides, he’s far too adventurous for his age.

DD (Sarah, just turned 4). Very outgoing, bubbly and loves to sing Disney songs (she has the entire Spirit soundtrack memorized). However, when it comes to thrill rides, she prefers to sit out.

Secondary Cast:

My family, consisting of my parents (late 50s); my sister and brother-in-law (early 30s) and their 15 month old son; and my brother and sister-in-law (late 20s). My family is originally from New Jersey. They moved to central Florida about 15 years ago. Although we took several family vacations to WDW when we were younger, they never go to the parks. Anyway, we planned on spending some time with my family on this trip. So we talked them into staying two nights at the RPR with us.

We started planning this trip back in June 2003. Neither of my kids are in school yet (my son just missed the cut off). Since this would be the last chance to take a long vacation to WDW in the off-season, we decided to take a two and a half week vacation. I took off three weeks from work so I would have a few days to recuperate after the trip. With that much time, we decided to split it up our vacation at more than one resort. My wife and I love the Polynesian, so we wanted at least a week there. We booked seven nights in the concierge building with a lagoon view. Next we decided to try the AKL. However, we were reluctant to spend a full seven nights there because it is a little isolated. So we booked three nights with a deluxe savannah view. Finally, since we wanted to try Universal and IOA, we decided to spend some time on Universal’s property. The FOTL privilege made this a no-brainer. We booked four nights at the Royal Pacific Resort with a water view.

This will be our kids’ 2nd trip to the World. Their first was in November, 2002. My DD was only two years old, a tad young to really appreciate the World, IMHO. Not that we regret that trip. I think WDW is a great vacation spot for toddlers. But the older they get the more they can experience and the more they can appreciate it. Because they are still a little young, we agreed to set a reasonable pace and limit the time in the parks. So we planned on doing a lot of half days and we scheduled three days that we would not be in the parks at all. . . .

OK, I’m leaving something out. The truth is, our November, 2002 trip had been a bit of a debacle due to the pace I set and attempted to maintain. :( I am -retentive and have a compulsive, type-A personality. I am sure there is a name for it, and my wife has several of them, but whatever it is it generates a commando-type mentality when I get to WDW. The main purpose of our November, 2002 trip to Florida was to attend my youngest sister’s wedding (she now lives in NJ). By the time we drove down and attended the rehearsal dinner and the wedding, we only had four days to spending at WDW. My wife’s older sister was accompanying us on this part of our trip. I was determined to see everything in just four days. :hammer:

I shiver just to think of how much we, I mean “I”, tried to do. The first day was AK. Despite temperatures in the high 90s, we spent the entire day there, 9:00 to 5:00. Day 2 was MK. We moved clockwise from Adventureland, stopping only to hit the major attractions. Because my kids didn’t make the height requirement, we could skip the Mountains. But we hit everything else. We started with the Swiss Family Treehouse and plowed through it like it was a boot-camp training course for the rest of the day to come. By two o’clock, we had finished with Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square and Fantasyland and I begrudgingly agreed to stop for lunch. When we finished Toontown and Tomorrowland, I still had several items left on the agenda, including exploring MainStreet, the forecourt show, Spectro and fireworks. It was at that point that a coup occurred. Looking back, I think the revolt actually began to materialize sometime the day before as we chewed through the AK. I remembered that the group was often lagging behind me having quiet conversations. Anyway, regardless of when it started, it was accomplished in light speed. I was given a non-negotiable ultimatum: My itinerary was to be tossed (in front of witnesses) and, other than requesting a bathroom break, I would have no say in where and when the group went. :zipit: If I refused, my wife was taking the kids back to the Swan’s kiddie pool, where they would spend the remainder of the vacation.

It was a trick of course. As soon as I handed over the reins, my wife and sister-in-law decided to go shopping on MainStreet and then back to the resort anyway. No evening parade and no fireworks. The next two day were completely inefficient. We saw almost nothing in MGM and Epcot and, when we returned to the MK, my wife let the KIDS pick the rides. I could almost hear Kron from Dinosaur chastising Aladar for suggesting that the weak should set the pace. Nevertheless, I got what I deserved

They say admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. :lol: When I broached the subject of another Disney trip in June, 2003, I knew I had to tread lightly. I promised that I would set a reasonable pace in the parks and that I would schedule plenty of down time. My wife agreed. I could still over plan if I wanted, but it was clear that I did so at my own peril.

And plan I did. I put together a detailed itinerary which, based on the information I gathered here, included strategic patterns for hitting the major attractions without waiting in line forever, yet included enough down time that allowed us to rest and enjoy the smaller attractions and more subtle parts of the World.

Rating Scale:

One more thing: Throughout, I will try to rate the resorts, restaurants, and newer attractions. Here’s how to judge the scale:

A -- Awesome; would not miss on the next trip.
B -- Very good; would definitely try to do again on the next trip
C -- Average to good; enjoyed enough to do it again, but would not be upset if we didn’t
D -- Just plain OK; probably wouldn’t go out of our way to do again.
F -- Would avoid like the plague.

So without further ado....please go to Day1, which I will put in a separate post.

scorp111

I think this will be a very interesting trip report.

I actually am quite afraid, that I may cause a similar coup as your 2002. I have the same personality, and I have never been to WDW. But based on my experiences in DLP, other them parks, and life in general, I am a real candidate for disaster! Hopefully I will learn something from your Trip Reports. Fortunately our trip in September has expanded up to 1o days total, so that I can be a little less rushed.

:)

johnvree

Original Poster
Originally posted by scorp111
I think this will be a very interesting trip report.

I actually am quite afraid, that I may cause a similar coup as your 2002. I have the same personality, and I have never been to WDW. But based on my experiences in DLP, other them parks, and life in general, I am a real candidate for disaster! Hopefully I will learn something from your Trip Reports. Fortunately our trip in September has expanded up to 1o days total, so that I can be a little less rushed.

:)

As you read through the remainder of my trips, you will see that this trip was far from a disaster. Having the extra time will definitely help. But if you are like me, your brain will subconsciously begin planning thigs for the extra days. Unless you are staying for a month, there are some things that you will have to sacrifice. I have to say, though, having the luxury of down time or rest time, whatever you call it, will make all the difference in the world. Read on...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom