John Williams wins Grammy Award for "Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite"

Rob562

Original Poster
Kinda random, but figured this was the best place for it... John Williams won his 25th Grammy last night, "Best Instrumental Composition" for the music he wrote for Galaxy's Edge.

(Warning, this article was not written by theme park people and contains some cringe-worthy errors)

And here's the piece.

-Rob

Mike730

Kinda random, but figured this was the best place for it... John Williams won his 25th Grammy last night, "Best Instrumental Composition" for the music he wrote for Galaxy's Edge.

(Warning, this article was not written by theme park people and contains some cringe-worthy errors)

And here's the piece.

-Rob

Wow cringe-worthy is right...

Prototype82

So well-deserved. Every nuance in the score gives a sense of adventure, playfulness, and grandiosity. To me, he really knew exactly how we were going to feel in that place. And the sense of place and adventure really shows in the sound. Congrats, John Williams!

Walt d

And here's the piece.

-Rob

Wow” that is a great score!

Rob562

Original Poster
This spring the Boston Pops (of which Williams is the Laureate Conductor) is doing a special program "Star Wars - The Story in Music" with music from all nine films.

I wonder if this Grammy will spur them to add Galaxy's Edge to the program. Perhaps as an encore? (Since they'll likely hit all of their usual repertoire of Star Wars encores during the program itself)

-Rob

Scrooged

This spring the Boston Pops (of which Williams is the Laureate Conductor) is doing a special program "Star Wars - The Story in Music" with music from all nine films.

I wonder if this Grammy will spur them to add Galaxy's Edge to the program. Perhaps as an encore? (Since they'll likely hit all of their usual repertoire of Star Wars encores during the program itself)

-Rob

Williams made an appearance with the Louisville Symphony ORchestra about two years ago- I found out about it on the night of the performance and was literally trying to scalp a ticket out front. I'd kill to see him conduct once.

That having been said, it would be interesting to see if the "Galaxy's Edge" suite would be on the program.

Rob562

Original Poster
Williams made an appearance with the Louisville Symphony ORchestra about two years ago- I found out about it on the night of the performance and was literally trying to scalp a ticket out front. I'd kill to see him conduct once.

That having been said, it would be interesting to see if the "Galaxy's Edge" suite would be on the program.

I've been lucky enough to be able to attend the Boston Pops' annual Film Night program the past dozen years or so. Unfortunately at his age he doesn't really conduct much anymore. For a couple years during his appearances he'd split the evening with another conductor and only do the second half, but it's been a year or two since I've seen him conduct.

I think out at Tanglewood this summer they have a concert of his music where he'll be hosting the show, talking between pieces, but someone else will be conducting.

-Rob

BromBones

It was okay. Compared to past Williams work, this is quite forgettable and surely will not be something you hum while cleaning out the garage.

Duckberg

Like film composers of the past such as Korngold & Steiner, they would often sample musical passage from prior work to then current projects. Williams piece here is very short, but feels like that. As a JW listener;) I would rate this as just OK :cool:

rreading

I find it interesting that some of the best musical atmosphere is in the restrooms of Galaxies edge. The restroom by the droids near Toy Story in particular has some pretty good alien dance music.

Does background music permeate Harambe or Pandora? They put in an effort at GE but clearly decided to keep the land music-free. Disappointing to me but they could always change their mind

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom