News Joe Rohde Retiring

Anjin

Original Poster
Joe Rohde, one of the masterminds behind the planning and development of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, is retiring from his position with Walt Disney Imagineering.

Rohde, who turned 65 in September, has been with Walt Disney Co. for 40 years. His time with the company began as a model designer during the planning of Epcot, which opened in 1982.

D.Silentu

That was my first thought as well. It always seemed strange to me for such a venerated designer to be stuck with a project like Mission Breakout. If memory serves, Tony Baxter retired after years of being relegated to second and third tier projects. I hope that isn't the case here, but either way, cheers to a fellow who has done great things for theme park design!

Now, sadly, begins the betting pool of how many posts it takes for someone to turn focus on his earing, rather than his accomplishments.

brb1006

screen-shot-2020-11-23-at-1-02-02-pm-png.515100

mickEblu

Did he work on anything notable at DLR? The only thing that comes to mind is my least favorite change to date - GOTG:MB. Not that I’m blaming him for the change except for maybe some of the creative decisions like the alien macaroni warehouse / oil refinery exterior.

October82

Did he work on anything notable at DLR? The only thing that comes to mind is my least favorite change to date - GOTG:MB. Not that I’m blaming him for the change except for maybe some of the creative decisions like the alien macaroni warehouse / oil refinery exterior.

He seems to have contributed to New Fantasyland, but most of his work was on the more inspired parts of WDW that never made it to DLR.

mickEblu

He is in the preshow for Captain EO as well.

With Disney you never know if a retirement is an actual retirement or someone being forced out. He had a long career though so either option wouldn't surprise me.

Absolutely love the Animal Kingdom Park and he was a great designer.

AK seems to be the park of choice for DL’ers. It makes sense though. Magic Kingdom is a less charming copy of Disneyland. Epcot is not what it used to be and up until last year, Hollywood Studios was a 1/2 day park. Even if it’s a full day park now we have Galaxies Edge here and will soon have MMRR. AK is also green and beautiful with some great rides.

October82

Great points here. The appeal of that park is so different from any themepark, Disney or not. Epcot is just in bad shape but I really enjoy it as an all day shopping/dining location, not a themepark.

I still enjoy the parts of EPCOT Center's Future World that remain. Those are disappearing quickly though and I doubt much of what once made EPCOT distinct will remain in a decade.

smooch

AK seems to be the park of choice for DL’ers. It makes sense though. Magic Kingdom is a less charming copy of Disneyland. Epcot is not what it used to be and up until last year, Hollywood Studios was a 1/2 day park. Even if it’s a full day park now we have Galaxies Edge here and will soon have MMRR. AK is also green and beautiful with some great rides.
I definitely agree. When I visited in the beginning of 2019 for a brief 3 day trip I think the most fun I had was in AK. MK is as you said a less charming copy of Disneyland, so while I enjoyed it and some of the differences were cool to see, it wasn't some standout park to me. HS didn't have GE when I went so it was a half day park even with looking at the exhibits / watching a street show or two, but it did have my favorite ride in the world, ToT, so that was a huge plus. EPCOT was definitely fun to go to to eat and walk around, but it is nowhere near in the shape it could be in compared to it's previous iterations. My parents and I's day where we started in AK was incredible. It was lightly raining in the morning which I honestly think adds a bit to the atmosphere of that park in a way, although it is obviously gorgeous on a beautiful sunny day as well. Pandora was breathtaking, the floating islands, even if I know how they do it, is still incredible to see in person. Africa and the safari ride were incredible to see all the real animals, and the Asia portion with Expedition Everest was very cool to see in it's own way. Just walking around the park it has a sort of authenticity to it, not to use the word immersive but there is definitely something unique about the attempt at realism in that park unlike every other Disney park that presents an idealized version of whatever it is presenting. Plus all the cool little trails and details around the park you can get lost just walking around not riding anything or watching any show and still have so much fun. In my opinion it is definitely the most unique park and with Pandora it got bumped up a ton more ranks in entertainment and beauty factor.

Sailor310

I'll say it. His earing always creeped me out.

Rohde, known in Disney circles for his elaborate, dangling earring, has been a world traveler in his profession and his private life. He said he plans to spend extended time with the Explorers Club, a conservation-related group and has a travel wish list.

See. It's not just me. :)

TP2000

I wonder if he was more or less forced out.

I think that's fairly obvious, all things considered. This news hit as I was driving somewhere between Medford and Roseburg, but it's culturally notable even if that part of southern Oregon is not (although stunningly beautiful!).

Mr. Rohde's time has suddenly passed, like the Four Seasons from Philadelphia trying to still get radio airplay in 1967 when everyone suddenly wanted only psychedelic sounds from San Francisco. Perhaps, the entire era of Celebrity Imagineers! has now passed in the Covid collapse era of 2020.

WDI just can't afford that sort of thing any longer.... The 7 figure incomes. The big homes in Pasadena or La Canada or Anaheim Hills. The 3-Tesla garages with contractual charging stations at their WDI office. The routine "research trips" for three weeks at a Ritz-Carlton in foreign lands that are required for new attractions that are conveniently themed only to countries that have a Ritz-Carlton?

Yeah, Mr. Rohde's time has passed. The entire collapse of the theme park industry (except Florida) during Covid just put that nail in that coffin.

Now, sadly, begins the betting pool of how many posts it takes for someone to turn focus on his earing, rather than his accomplishments.

While your previous comments were valid, and Mr. Rohde clearly had talent, the distended ear on a man nearing Social Security age was nothing but creepy. And Disney knew it was creepy; thus the constant portraitures and official photographs of Rohde that always had his grossly distended ear facing away from the camera or artist.

But for those who adore Mr. Rohde, just go to Tokyo DisneySea and pull a Fastpass for their Tower of Terror. It's pretty much nothing but a Joe Rohde fangasm from pre-show to ride finale'. It almost ruins what is genuinely a great attraction, except for the creepy adulation of an Imagineer that the average Japanese has never heard of.

But at least the Oriental Land Company was wise enough to insist his distended ear not be shown to Tokyo guests.

latest

Rhode is a nice man. Hoping his retirement is fulfilling.

To be honest, I’m not sad about his retirement. He’s more of a WDW imagineer. I was sad about Baxter though.

Yeah, good point. He wasn't really a West Coaster. The Mission:Breakout thing appears to be his final hurrah, and one of his rare projects in the Pacific time zone. He was mostly a Florida guy, with lots of side hustle from the Oriental Land Company.

Last edited:

brb1006

I think that's fairly obvious, all things considered. This news hit as I was driving somewhere between Medford and Roseburg, but it's culturally notable even if that part of southern Oregon is not (although stunningly beautiful!).

Mr. Rohde's time has suddenly passed, like the Four Seasons from Philadelphia trying to still get radio airplay in 1967 when everyone suddenly wanted only psychedelic sounds from San Francisco. Perhaps, the entire era of Celebrity Imagineers! has now passed in the Covid collapse era of 2020.

WDI just can't afford that sort of thing any longer.... The 7 figure incomes. The big homes in Pasadena or La Canada or Anaheim Hills. The 3-Tesla garages with contractual charging stations at their WDI office. The routine "research trips" for three weeks at a Ritz-Carlton in foreign lands that are required for new attractions that are conveniently themed only to countries that have a Ritz-Carlton?

Yeah, Mr. Rohde's time has passed. The entire collapse of the theme park industry (except Florida) during Covid just put that nail in that coffin.

While your previous comments were valid, and Mr. Rohde clearly had talent, the distended ear on a man nearing Social Security age was nothing but creepy. And Disney knew it was creepy; thus the constant portraitures and official photographs of Rohde that always had his grossly distended ear facing away from the camera or artist.

But for those who adore Mr. Rohde, just go to Tokyo DisneySea and pull a Fastpass for their Tower of Terror. It's pretty much nothing but a Joe Rohde fangasm from pre-show to ride finale'. It almost ruins what is genuinely a great attraction, except for the creepy adulation of an Imagineer that the average Japanese has never heard of.

But at least the Oriental Land Company was wise enough to insist his distended ear not be shown to Tokyo guests.

latest

Yeah, good point. He wasn't really a West Coaster. The Mission:Breakout thing appears to be his final hurrah, and one of his rare projects in the Pacific time zone. He was mostly a Florida guy, with lots of side hustle from the Oriental Land Company.
Yeah, Joe Rhode is very respected at the East Coast with Walt Disney World fans/visitors compared to DL. Sure we make fun of his ear, but he's very admired for his contributions with Animal Kingdom for almost 30 years.

Last edited:

el_super

I wonder if he was more or less forced out.

Forced probably isn't the right word here. Unlike some people, his reputation at WDI is pretty solid and the company gains nothing by forcing him out. I think the most likely scenario, is the one he wrote himself: he's just at a point where he is between projects, and it makes sense not to commit to another project that could take seven plus years to complete.

Rhode is a nice man. Hoping his retirement is fulfilling.

To be honest, I’m not sad about his retirement. He’s more of a WDW imagineer. I was sad about Baxter though.

That's kind of an interesting thought, because while Rohde is famous for his work on Animal Kingdom, he is very much a Californian, being born in California and later returning for his education. It's interesting how much of his left coast/Californian perspectives have infiltrated his projects, and so interesting to see how easily Californians can proclaim AK as the best part at WDW.

So yeah, he never had an opportunity to really design much for California, but his designs still feel very Californian to me.

Mac Tonight

Joe Rohde was very nice when I ran into him a few years ago.
I asked him about attraction design and IP-integration and he was very candid about how, while it might seem like the other way around, attraction design always came first before the property.

It's a shame we didn't get more of his creations on the west coast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom