Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

Rteetz

Which can still be done. Would anyone be surprised if he was given a deal like Baxter or Morris?
No but I'd argue Joe was certainly more to TWDC than Morris. Don't get me wrong Morris is fantastic but outside of places like this message board people don't know who he was. Joe is also one that likes to chase adventure and new things. He does a lot of his own work outside of Disney whether it be conservation or art.

britain

Or, at age 65 after 40 years with Disney, he just might want to do other things with his life. He would not be the first person during this pandemic to take at look at his/her life and think about what they want to do going forward.
Joe always did seemed to be too good to be true for WDI. Meaning, too much of a philosophizing artist to work for a penny-vacuuming marketing machine like Disney. The time seems right.

Bulldozers for AK's Zootopia starting in 3... 2... 1...

Brer Oswald

Joe was a character in himself. They used his popularity to their advantage with many different events and crazy expensive ABD trips.
Tony Baxter was also a character in himself. He created 5 of the most beloved post-Golden Age attractions. He’s inarguably the most well known Imagineer to be hired after Walt’s passing. And yet, he was cast aside, like an old glove.

The celebrity Imagineer is a dying breed. Joe was one of the last few. The next big name might not get the same good grace Joe did with the “retirement”. If the fans don’t know who they are, they’re easier to get rid of. :(

Rteetz

Tony Baxter was also a character in himself. He created 5 of the most beloved post-Golden Age attractions. He’s inarguably the most well known Imagineer to be hired after Walt’s passing. And yet, he was cast aside, like an old glove.

The celebrity Imagineer is a dying breed. Joe was one of the last few. The next big name might not get the same good grace Joe did with the “retirement”. If the fans don’t know who they are, they’re easier to get rid of. :(
For sure. I think in this age of Disney with social media especially Rohde grew to a popularity higher than Baxter has/had.

Rteetz

I’m not so sure about that. People still talk about Baxter like he’s a “Walt Disney” type of figure.

Figment’s insane online popularity, and that Baxter is his father, helps.
People here and on other message boards do for sure but outside of that I don't see or hear much about Baxter. I think Joe's presence not only at fan events but also social media makes him a more recognizable figure. If Baxter had those things in his prime he likely would be where Rohde is today if not much more. Its just about the eras in this instance. Both incredible individuals.

M:SpilotISTC12

Bring on Wakanda and Zootopia here we come!!! Bring it!

No but really this hurts. Joe was my absolute favorite. He will definitely be missed. We can only hope that this was on his terms and not forced out.

Animaniac93-98

did you not see everything before the ride or were you blindfolded up until they handed you the flight vizors?

I was not speaking of any attraction designed by Rhode, but the trend of Disney attractions over the past few years and going into the immediate future.

Disney doesn't think they need high paid, egotistical (aka experienced, talented, knowledgeable) people to design rides for their kiddie parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom