Joe Potter Ferry Crash

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
gLBZM6.gif

EeyoreFan#24

It could very well be a “crash”. But being the source is OCSO, it’s just what the initial header on the call is. They have to classify it as something for the computer to generate the call and that was probably the closest they had with the info they had at the time. Those headers don’t usually line up with the other random stuff that happens.

OCSO has a public dashboard that takes the header from the CAD and puts it on a chart online and here we are.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"At 9:41am, deputies responded to the Magic Kingdom ferry dock to assist with the boating incident. Four guests complained of minor injuries after the Joe Potter struck the landing while attempting to dock at Magic Kingdom. Of those four minor injuries, one guest was transported to the hospital."

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I used to drive those boats. Definitely likely it was a hard docking. Each ferry has its own temperament and the Potter was known for cavitating and the steering is a 2-3 second delay. Just a question of it being pilot error or mechanical. It was always a delicate balance between coming in slow and safely with the need to counter the wind to stay on course and get into the slip. Most people don’t realize just how much skill is required to drive those things.

Fun fact: that boat is also known as the haunted one. It was involved in an accident with a guest on a rented boat(those little 1 or 2 seaters) and the mother was killed. CMs have many stories of things happening that make no sense!

TrainsOfDisney

I used to drive those boats. Definitely likely it was a hard docking. Each ferry has its own temperament and the Potter was known for cavitating and the steering is a 2-3 second delay. Just a question of it being pilot error or mechanical. It was always a delicate balance between coming in slow and safely with the need to counter the wind to stay on course and get into the slip. Most people don’t realize just how much skill is required to drive those things.
I’m often amazed watching the docking process of the ferry’s and boats at WDW. Those friendship boat captains are crazy precise with the turning!

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
The article is updated to say it "struck the landing" not sure exactly what that means. There's really 2 major times when impact is highest risk. The first is upon entering the "dolphins" (the things where everyone throws their change lol). Wind is the primary threat there that can throw off the entrance. Then beyond that, it's stopping before the boat reaches the bumpers where the gangway is.
Also note: this is why they clear the stairs prior to docking. It doesn't take a very hard contact to throw you off your feet.

I don't have any contacts on the inside anymore, but a friend of mine does. Trying to see if I can get details. I'm just curious as it does happen, but not often.

JoeCamel

The article is updated to say it "struck the landing" not sure exactly what that means. There's really 2 major times when impact is highest risk. The first is upon entering the "dolphins" (the things where everyone throws their change lol). Wind is the primary threat there that can throw off the entrance. Then beyond that, it's stopping before the boat reaches the bumpers where the gangway is.
Also note: this is why they clear the stairs prior to docking. It doesn't take a very hard contact to throw you off your feet.

I don't have any contacts on the inside anymore, but a friend of mine does. Trying to see if I can get details. I'm just curious as it does happen, but not often.
From the info so far it sounds like there was a hard landing that 4 people were not prepared for. I always tried to be near the docking end and at one of the posts on that end, lean on post and read my paper riding to the MK, stroll off and enter the kingdom. Same on the return, brace for contact and then stroll off after the crew ties off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom