Jim Hill on Toy Story 3

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
A few days ago, Lee Unkrich tweeted this phone message that he received from someone named Geordi. Who – upon learning that Lee was directing “Toy Story 3” – actually left Unkrich voicemail which said :
“Please, please don’t screw (this movie) up … Make it big. Make sure that something very important is going to happen. Otherwise there is no point in (producing another "Toy Story" sequel).

Well, since I just saw “Toy Story 3” at its ShoWest screening (which was held in Le Theatre Des Arts at the Paris Las Vegas), I can now reassure Geordi that Lee didn’t screw it up. He and his team did “Toy Story 3” big. And lots of really important things do happen in this terrific sequel to the first two “Toy Story” films.

“So what happens in this eagerly awaited sequel?,” you ask. … Well, now comes the tricky part.

You see, though Unkrich (while he was standing on stage with “TS3” producer Darla K. Anderson) did ask those of us in attendance to tweet, Facebook, however we wanted to spread the word of what we thought of Pixar’s latest production … Lee also asked all those who saw today’s work-in-progress screening of “Toy Story 3” to not reveal any key plot points. And given what a brilliant job the folks at Pixar did with this motion picture, I feel genuinely obliged to honor Ukrich’s request.

So what can I tell you about “Toy Story 3” without revealing any significant surprises? … Er … Um … Well, for starters, you should bring Kleenex. Lots & lots of Kleenex. Because I can guarantee you that you’re going to spend a good portion of the last 30 minutes of this film in tears.

I mean, I sat in that hall today surrounded by hardened industry professionals. Exhibitors who care more about how much popcorn & soda they’re selling than the movies they’re currently showing at their multiplexes. And these jaded theater owners – as “Toy Story 3” entered the home stretch – were openly bawling . Tears streaming down their faces as the ultimate fate of Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the whole Andy’s Room gang was decided.

Speaking of which … I’m going to be very interested to see what sort of rating “Toy Story 3” gets. Because this movie gets really dark and scary at times. In fact, there’s one sequence toward the end of “TS3” where the toys are put in such peril (and then handle this literally horrifying moment with such grace, heart and courage) that I wonder if this moment in the movie may be just too much for little-little kids to handle. But then again – given how this particular sequence pays off, with this great character-driven, “But of course!” moment that got a huge reaction from today’s crowd – I honestly wouldn’t change a frame of this film.

Here’s something else that you’re going to want to do before seeing “Toy Story 3”: And that’s rewatch “Toy Story” & “Toy Story 2.” For Unkrich and Anderson have made a point of filling “TS3” with all sorts of witty tie-ins, clever call-backs to the first two movies. And in order to really appreciate what Lee & Darla have done here, the first two “Toy Story” movies should still be fresh in your mind. (That way -- for example -- you'll realize that the last image in "Toy Story 3" echoes the first thing you see in the original "Toy Story.")

Another thing worth noting here is – while “Toy Story” was basically a buddy movie and “Toy Story 2” was more of a road picture … “Toy Story 3” – in its heart of hearts -- a caper. There’s at least one sequence (where I think it’s Dave Foley doing the voice of that Fisher Price phone) that gives off a strong “Ocean’s Eleven” vibe. Which is another reason that it was so great that Pixar & Disney decided to show this work-in-progress version of “TS3” here in Vegas at the ShoWest crowd.

Getting back to Geordi’s phone message to Lee Unkrich … I have to admit that I too had my reservations about “Toy Story 3.” You see, “Toy Story 2” is one of my absolute favorite Pixar films (with the very last sequence in that movie – with Wheezy the Penguin channeling Robert Goulet as those three Barbie dolls act as his back-up singers, with the whole gang standing there, together & whole & happy as the camera whips around Andy’s bedroom – is just sheer bliss for me. I’ve seen “TS2” dozens of times at this point and that scene never fails to make me smile). And the thought that the folks at Pixar might go back to the “Toy Story” well one too many times and then screw the whole thing up was just … unbearable to me.

But Unkrich & Anderson didn’t screw up “Toy Story 3.” If anything, they kind of achieved the impossible here. You see, though “Toy Story 3” picks up the “Toy Story” storyline 10 years later, there’s a seamless flow of story and character development from 1 to 2 to 3. Hard as this may be to believe (particularly in today’s Hollywood), there’s no discernable drop-off of quality either. The “Toy Story” trilogy (as it’s now sure to be called) is continuously entertaining. You’ll now laugh, smile and cry through all three of these films.

So when June 18th rolls around, you can bet that I’ll be there in line at my local multiplex (given that we only got to see “TS3” in 2D today, I’ll be interested to see if seeing this sequel in 3D adds or detracts from the flow of this film). If only so I can then experience the last half hour of this new Pixar movie one more time. Which – while it packs plenty of surprises – still manages to wrap things up in an emotionally satisfying way. In short, it ends just the way you’d hope “Toy Story 3” would end.

So come back in three months … Where I’ll then be free to tell where to look to find the Pizza Planet truck (among other great inside jokes that are featured in this Lee Unkrich / Darla K. Anderson movie).

Your thoughts?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...aign=Feed:+Jimhillmediacom+(JimHillMedia.com)

This sounds like it's going to be an amazing movie. I honestly cannot wait to see it and how emotional it really is. I'm sure Lee Unkrich did am amazing job on the film. :sohappy:

WDW Vacationer

I'm a big Toy Story fan and can't wait for this! It sounds like Lee and his team hit this out of the park. I'm predicting this will be a huge hit,smashing all box office records.

Thrill Seeker

That makes me uber excited. I've always been a huge Toy Story fan since the original came out and am dying to see the third one. If it's as good as this article says, I have a feeling I might have a new favorite Pixar film above the already stellar Toy Story 2.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

erasure fan1

I hope its as good as hes saying. Its very rare to find a trilogy of movies that are all awesome and TS1 and 2 are awesome. I was never worried about the quality of this movie just because Pixar hasnt let me down yet.

TO INFINITY, AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!

:sohappy:

imagineer boy

I'm definately expecting this to be a tear jerker. People just have such strong connections to these characters.

But anyways, I really can't wait! And its opening should be HUGE.

Grlwonder

TS3 just makes me wish I could speed up time. I want to see this movie so badly I would feel guilty if my parents want to wait for the DVD (My mom wants to see the FIFA World Cup games more then the movie! I'm telling her to just recored it.). I know I am going to be one of those people crying. I literally feel like I've grown up with Andy, seeing how this year I'm graduating (with Andy! lol). For the first time I want to catch a midnight showing. TS3 better make more money than Twilight's movie.

Testtrack321

I'll be at the (hopeful) midnight showing. Toy Story is one of the most pure, entertaining, and hopeful pieces of entertainment around, in a sea of cynical, crude, and pop-cultured centered humor.

catinthehat

Jim Hill isn't the only viewer that loved it. I have been reading one amazing review after another coming out of ShoWest...and think, that wasn't even the fully completed film!!

If there was one studio that could make a heartwarming and original trilogy, it's Pixar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom