• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor JIM HILL: Ice Age Being Explored for DAK

ThemeParkTraveller

I think the only things the Fox merger will help along is a third attraction for Pandora and the cloning of that product to Paris and/or perhaps a third resort.

Given how huge Avatar was in China (grossed $204 million in a far smaller theatrical market than today), I think it's likely SDL will be the next park to get a Pandora clone. Conveniently, France and Japan were the second and third biggest overseas markets for Avatar after China (grossing $176 million and $172 million respectively). I could see Pandora going to WDSP (as has been rumored way down the line), but the IP is probably not a great fit for either of the Japanese parks.

BrianLo

Given how huge Avatar was in China (grossed $204 million in a far smaller theatrical market than today), I think it's likely SDL will be the next park to get a Pandora clone. Conveniently, France and Japan were the second and third biggest overseas markets for Avatar after China (grossing $176 million and $172 million respectively). I could see Pandora going to WDSP (as has been rumored way down the line), but the IP is probably not a great fit for either of the Japanese parks.

It was sold to OLC a number of years ago and they declined. They tried to pass on a ton of domestic projects and received the same response. I think OLC will continue to gravitate more and more solely to the animated catalogue as evidenced. They also seem unpleased with co-financing Disney's R&D. Like Hong Kong I think there will be more and more pressure for unique offerings.

Shanghai seems logical, but Pandora joins a long list of logical fits and radio silence on the resorts next steps.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I think they'd need a 2nd park in Shanghai for that.

Donald Razorduck

This is fascinating to me, especially the Rudolph stuff, considering Busch got a chunk of that. Could you imagine a holiday party at IoA with the Grinch, Harry Potter, and a Rudolph overlay in Toon Lagoon, using the amphitheater and maybe an overlay of Ripsaw Falls? It’s hard to contend with Marvel and Jurassic Park, but I can see a really good Christmas event being thrown there.

I know that whenever Disney makes a new animated film several blue sky concepts are drawn up... that “Stitch Mountain” Story sticks in my mind...
Rudolph is also used by HFC, particularly at Silver Dollar City.

Donald Razorduck

While I'll file this one under " believe it when I see it", especially from Jim Hill, it would be a great way for Disney to add an area at AK that could feature polar bears and penguins (which I don't think are anywhere at AK at the moment). You know, animals associated with the cold.

That is more in line with an enclosed water coaster at Blizzard Beach

Disney Maddux

They do. I’d doubt in one single project.
This is what I can see happening:

D23 2019 - Disney announces they have plans to expand into that area with new lands and attractions. They don't say what, but just that we will be seeing something there in a few years. They also announce that the Planet Watch will be closing at the end of the year.
Throughout 2020 - Planet Watch is closed and demolition begins. They begin re-routing the canal and pouring in concrete on the new land behind it. But we still don't know what the new land will be.
D23 2021 - We finally know what's replacing Planet Watch: A Zootopia area (before you say anything, no this isn't me hoping, I do legit think this will get announced). And that it will be open in late 2022, just in time for the 2nd movie.
Late 2022 - Zootopia opens, and planning begins for the next big expansion.
D23 2023 - It's announced that the Jungle Trek will be closing in late 2023, and re-opening by summer of 2024. This will be due to parts of the Trek having to be re-routed to make room for another expansion.
2024 - We find out what the new expansions are: Beastly Kingdom and an Ice Age area. Ice Age is to be open by summer of 2025, with Beastly Kingdom being late 2026.
Summer 2025 - Ice Age area opens.
Fall 2026 - Beastly Kingdom opens.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
This is what I can see happening:

D23 2019 - Disney announces they have plans to expand into that area with new lands and attractions. They don't say what, but just that we will be seeing something there in a few years. They also announce that the Planet Watch will be closing at the end of the year.
Throughout 2020 - Planet Watch is closed and demolition begins. They begin re-routing the canal and pouring in concrete on the new land behind it. But we still don't know what the new land will be.
D23 2021 - We finally know what's replacing Planet Watch: A Zootopia area (before you say anything, no this isn't me hoping, I do legit think this will get announced). And that it will be open in late 2022, just in time for the 2nd movie.
Late 2022 - Zootopia opens, and planning begins for the next big expansion.
D23 2023 - It's announced that the Jungle Trek will be closing in late 2023, and re-opening by summer of 2024. This will be due to parts of the Trek having to be re-routed to make room for another expansion.
2024 - We find out what the new expansions are: Beastly Kingdom and an Ice Age area. Ice Age is to be open by summer of 2025, with Beastly Kingdom being late 2026.
Summer 2025 - Ice Age area opens.
Fall 2026 - Beastly Kingdom opens.
Nope.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fox Buy was so they can sell cable subscriptions...iger said it...but let’s not believe him.

Instead, let’s believe a low rent profiteering clown who makes stuff up - cause when you make stuff up about the hypothetical you can’t be proven mathematically wrong - and run with it.

Why not?...slow news year and all 😬

Kman101

Since 2000 is a little broad. The last five years would be far more telling, as that’s when the current Disney live action strategy went into place and started minting money. Mary Poppins Returns, Aladdin, The Lion King and Jungle Cruise are going to do extremely well at the box office (Nutcracker won’t tho!). Blue Sky’s last, Ferdinand, was a relative bomb. The circumstances under which Blue Sky had consistently high grosses have passed.

Critical scores mean literally nothing, as I’m sure you know. Beauty and the Beast wasn’t a big critical success but did over a billion worldwide. I suspect Aladdin won’t be either, and it will rake it in. Lion King might do better critically than BATB since Favreau has tons of built in goodwill and the cast is more prestigious. We’ll see.

None of it ultimately matters, as Disney has no use for Blue Sky.

I'm not sold on Jungle Cruise being a massive hit, personally. But they've done fairly well with the live action movies lately based on their hit franchises so maybe it will do well. I just don't know, "Rock" or not. But it has my interest. I see it doing better than Christopher Robin and gaining more traction than Tomorrowland was ever going to (It's fairly easy to see which Disney movies will be less successful than others, I've been right more than wrong).

Agreed on Nutcracker. Bomb by their standards.

And agreed that Disney has no use for Blue Sky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom