• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor JIM HILL: Ice Age Being Explored for DAK

Brad Bishop

Ice age movies are bush league , horrible slap stick comedy antithetical to Disney , bad move if true

The first one was good. The problem is that they took a page from "Land Before Time" and just kept rehashing the same thing over and over and over again until you just wished all the characters would fall into a volcano. I think LBT made it to 14 total movies (13 I think were direct to video). IA has 4, if I remember correctly, and I think there's a 5th in the works.

Bender123

The first one was good. The problem is that they took a page from "Land Before Time" and just kept rehashing the same thing over and over and over again until you just wished all the characters would fall into a volcano. I think LBT made it to 14 total movies (13 I think were direct to video). IA has 4, if I remember correctly, and I think there's a 5th in the works.

It has five, which was a flop. The other four made a ton of money...Its low brow, but there is a place in the market for movies like this. Does that mean I want it in a park? Nope...but I can definitely see its park potential, from a bean counter standpoint.

disneylandcm

I heard that WDI is exploring a concept to retheme the Miss Tilly at Typhoon Lagoon to Titanic. All raft slides will have new rafts provided that look like floating doors. Cast Members dressed as Kate Winslet will push you down each one to your "death."

Take it to the bank folks

Have they approved Finding Nemo Finding the Titanic Submarine Voyage For Disneyland?

DAK1928

Premium Member
Original Poster
In perhaps the "warmest" embrace of the IP in recent memory, multiple Disney social media accounts have all posted Ice Age characters today with the caption "the COOLEST cast in prehistory".

Unlikely connection, but this thread came to mind with Dinoland changes in the conversation.

DisneyExpert

In perhaps the "warmest" embrace of the IP in recent memory, multiple Disney social media accounts have all posted Ice Age characters today with the caption "the COOLEST cast in prehistory".

Unlikely connection, but this thread came to mind with Dinoland changes in the conversation.

Man, I was literally just coming here to post that.

SirLink

1)They have a new Disney+ movie coming out
2)They may have other D+ projects that they are getting ready to announce on D+ Day

Karakasa

As a replacement for Primeval Whirl... sure, why not. Retheme DinoRama to be at least partially about the actual ice age (can't see them giving up Triceratop Spin, so can't be entirely about the ice age) without the characters, put in a dark ride or log flume (ice flume?) based on the Ice Age movies ("wow, we went back in time and look at these talking animals!") in PW's footprint and expand a bit further than it. Much better fit than Frozen at Norway or Guardians in Epcot.
Eh6I6ou.png

I mean, we already have Lion King and Nemo stage shows, It's Tough to Be a Bug in the Tree of Life, Aladar statue outside Dinosaur and character in pre-and-post-shows (the actual Iguanodon on-ride doesn't look like him) and a walkaround Kevin, so cartoony animals are not outside of the purview of AK.

1)They have a new Disney+ movie coming out
2)They may have other D+ projects that they are getting ready to announce on D+ Day
Precisely. It's synergy- or, rather, it's "more family, more timeless, more Disney!" Or, I guess, Fox, but, eh, Fox, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, they're all Disney now eh?

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

In the Parks
No
As a replacement for Primeval Whirl... sure, why not. Retheme DinoRama to be at least partially about the actual ice age (can't see them giving up Triceratop Spin, so can't be entirely about the ice age) without the characters, put in a dark ride or log flume (ice flume?) based on the Ice Age movies ("wow, we went back in time and look at these talking animals!") in PW's footprint and expand a bit further than it. Much better fit than Frozen at Norway or Guardians in Epcot.
Eh6I6ou.png

I mean, we already have Lion King and Nemo stage shows, It's Tough to Be a Bug in the Tree of Life, Aladar statue outside dinosaur and character in pre-and-post-shows (the actual Iguanodon on-ride doesn't look like him) and a walkaround Kevin, so cartoony animals are not outside of the purview of AK.

Precisely. It's synergy- or, rather, it's "more family, more timeless, more Disney!" Or, I guess, Fox, but, eh, Fox, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, they're all Disney now eh?
Works fine next to Dinosaur, honestly. Make it another time travel ride.

co10064

Premium Member
I really don't want them to add Ice Age to this area or really any Fox property to any Disney park. The brand just doesn't seem very "Disney" to me. Same with Marvel. Admittedly I haven't experienced a Marvel attraction in a Disney park, but it's another brand that doesn't seem to fit within the "Disney culture." It's hard for me to exactly describe and I could be out here on an island with my opinion. 😂

MisterPenguin

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧Fully Pfizered!🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧
Premium Member
I think it would be really poor form to shove an acquired IP into a park. At least with Marvel, Disney has been behind all of the movies (since Avengers).
Toy Story was a Pixar movie before Disney purchased the studio.

Star Wars was a LucasFilm movie before Disney purchased the studio.

Not to mention the dozens and dozens of other IP (from books and fairy tales) that Disney appropriated or bought the rights to (Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Alice) that wound up in the parks.

IP created purely by Walt and Disney employees apart from Mickey and friends is very rare in the parks. The parks are mostly full of appropriated IP.

Think of it as being "Disney" because Disney Corp bought or licensed or appropriated it because they thought it fit with Disney.

Disney is mostly a curator of other people's IP.

The majority of new IP that Disney owns and made themselves are from the studios they purchased.

If a Fox property is deemed to fit with Disney, it will be in the parks or on Disney+ (else, it goes to Hulu/Star). As Disney has always done.

Magicart87

〝𝘙𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘺-𝘖!〞
Premium Member
Eh. I'm ok with this. Ice Age isn't the prettiest of animated features but it was still better than Pixar's Good Dinosaur. Sorry Pixar! Of the two being compared, obviously the Ice Age franchise has had a more lasting impact (pun intended) and is far more deserving of a ride or land, IMHO.

Visually however these characters resemble a low rent animation house or something belonging to a early 2000s Jimmy Neutron cartoon. The character designs are very rudementry by today's standards; plastic in their appearance without the detail one would come to expect nowadays. The franchise may be tired and the visuals plain but if ANYONE can breath new life into the franchise, it's Disney. My hope is they do just that!

Disney would be wise to see if there's any gas left in the tank before proceeding with a full out land replacement. But there's no denying there's some logic to putting Ice Age in DAK.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom