Jiko or Ohana for dinner? And why?

joejccva71

Original Poster
Hi guys I'm trying to decide between the two. I've heard great things about both but was just curious what you've experienced from both Jiko and Ohana.

The Service.

The Food.

All of it.

righttrack

If you've never experienced O'hana then I suggest doing it. It's just a nice Disney experience. Jiko will have great food, impeccable service, but you've eaten in fine restaurants before, I'm sure. You've not eaten in O'hana nor could do that in your town.

DisDadWoz

Hi guys I'm trying to decide between the two. I've heard great things about both but was just curious what you've experienced from both Jiko and Ohana.

The Service.

The Food.

All of it.
Two totally different experiences with totally different food "styles" but in my opinion:

Service-Decent at Ohana. They bring food around enough for you to get what you want. Can be slow at times based on all other tables taking off what is being served. At Jiko service for us has been anywhere from pretty good to outstanding. Our last visit a couple weeks ago was the worst we've had but it was still pretty good. Most of the time it's been great with servers who know the menu and the wine selection.

Food-Ohana, grilled meat on a stick! It's been awhile since we've been there but overall it's pretty good. If you're expecting it to be like the "chains" like Fogo de Chão, it's not that good. We loved the noodles and dumplings they had as well. Overall the meats are pretty good and since it's all you care to eat, its not bad. At Jiko don't let the menu descriptions keep you from going. It seemed weird for our kids growing up so we didn't go but regretted doing it as our two daughters loved it. Food is a little more upscale in presentation and taste compared to many WDW establishments. Don't be afraid to try things like the wild boar as it is a great dish and others are equally as good on the menu. Wine list is very good as well.

This is only my opinion but Jiko is always a must do for our trips.

Mickey5150

I'm not really sure why someone would think the food at Ohana would be an experience more unique than Jiko's. Ohana is fine food but you go there because of the loud fun environment, not so much the food. At Jiko's the food is the experience. Unless you live in Africa you probably don't find food like Jiko's in anytown USA. Jiko's will probably be more expensive but it will be one of the most unique meals you can get. If you are not adventurous or you want a place for kids to be loud then eat at Ohana's.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You are kind of comparing an off brand Brazilian Steakhouse to a Morton's, but here goes...

The easiest analogy is Ohana for quantity, Jiko for quality.

Ohana is similar to Fogo de Chão, but the quality at Ohana is noticeably less. The service is also hit or miss and the hoops you have to jump through to get an ADR there is in no way indicative of the quality of the food you will receive. The atmosphere is rather loud and chaotic, which is fine if you have kids, but not exactly how I would want to cap off my day.

Jiko is one of the best restaurants on property. The service, quality, atmosphere are all top shelf. The menu is probably the most exotic you will find in WDW. I have been there about 1/2 a dozen times, have never ordered the same thing twice, and have loved every meal. It also does not hurt that reservations are not all that hard to get.

imahistorygeek

I'd compare Ohana to a dining hall on a college campus. Loud, all-you-can-eat, overpriced and where quality doesn't really matter. We've been to Ohana several times and it never lived up to the hype. Now, the only time we ever eat Ohana is when we are staying at the Polynesian and can order as room service. It's cheaper and one portion can feed two people.

Jiko is of my favorite restaurants on property. We've eaten there once or twice a year over the past few years. The quality and consistency has always been top-notch. If you're going to spend $$ on food, I'd spend it at Jiko every time.

joejccva71

Original Poster
Did Jiko change chefs recently though? I thought I saw a video somewhere where Pete Werner from the DIS Unplugged said something about how the food has taken a step back since the chefs changed? I may have misunderstood him though.

Amos1784

I'm not really sure why someone would think the food at Ohana would be an experience more unique than Jiko's. Ohana is fine food but you go there because of the loud fun environment, not so much the food. At Jiko's the food is the experience. Unless you live in Africa you probably don't find food like Jiko's in anytown USA. Jiko's will probably be more expensive but it will be one of the most unique meals you can get. If you are not adventurous or you want a place for kids to be loud then eat at Ohana's.

I mean, I agree and disagree with this. I don't think you necessarily need to go to Africa to get a great steak with Mac and Cheese. Now I am aware this is not an "ordinary" steak and mac but not exactly exotic either. While Jiko's menu does branch off further then the typical Disney restaurant if you live in any major city in the US you are likely to be able to get these flavors from multiple places around.

O'hana is an experience, mediocre service (at best), where we have at least always had a great meal, great view and you just leave with a smile on your face (at least we do). Hawaiian music, all you can eat meat and great sides. I've heard horror stories on service (they basically don't pay attention to you and very quick service) and quality however.

Jiko is a relaxing serene experience, with great service, well above average food. A Jiko meal and a stroll around AKL after is hard to beat.

If you have never done O'hana it would be hard for me not to recommend it even with the potential "downsides", its very Disney and not a bad meal and best about the whole thing is Tambu is right next door o_O

LeighM

So far we've lucked out and have always had a great service and fantastic food at 'Ohana for dinner. It's a must do for us on every trip. I was worried for our trip last month because I kept reading about other's bad experiences at 'Ohana because we our inlaws were eating there for the first time. However, it was just as great as its always been for us and they left huge fans of the dinner and experience. I've never been to Jiko so I can't compare. But in my old hometown they had a South African restaurant that was wonderful so I never felt like I had a need to go to Jiko, Sanaa, Boma, or Tusker House to experience that kind of food. Now that I've moved away, that might change LOL :hungry:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
We love both they are totally different and often do both every trip. One is a nice signature/fine dining experience and the other is a great casual dining experience with also great All you care to enjoy food brought to your table. Really can’t compare to each other it’s apples to oranges well more like apples to potatoes not anything alike lol. ;)

Kevin_W

We must have been in a quiet corner, because we did not find O'Hana to be loud or chaotic at all the one time we've eaten there. We also had good service and the best food I've had at a buffet/family style location at Disney.

That said, Jiko is another level and if I had to pick one I'd go there. Also, visiting AKL is a treat in itself.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Very different experiences.

Ohana is loud, kid friendly, food isn’t bad, service is okay for what it is. Key is view of Seven Seas Lagoon & Castle (distant, but okay fireworks opportunity). Ohana is fun for families and big kids, but it’s more about the view/ place than dining experience.

Jiko is fine dining, more romantic setting, not kid friendly. For sentimental reasons, I bought a copy of menu when we went for our honeymoon and it is framed in our kitchen.

John park hopper

For us Jiko is the go to restaurant. we love the whole setting, the food is outstanding and the service could not have been better. If you are up for something different food wise it's the place to go. My vote JIKO

larandtra

I am concerned about Jiko. It was regularly in my top 3 restaurants on property but the chef has moved to Cali Grill and my last experience at Jiko was less than impressive. Hopefully it gets fixed but right now Jiko is on my wait and see list. Ohana is an event unto itself and worth doing at least once.

Tony the Tigger

I am concerned about Jiko. It was regularly in my top 3 restaurants on property but the chef has moved to Cali Grill and my last experience at Jiko was less than impressive. Hopefully it gets fixed but right now Jiko is on my wait and see list. Ohana is an event unto itself and worth doing at least once.

Oh, no! When did that happen? That’s how they ruined Flying Fish - new chef.

richg35

Last year, we found Ohana to be the worst Disney dining experience we have had out of all our annual trips since 2012.

The appetizer course is anything you can get at a local asian takeout joint or from Costco's frozen section. The beef was incredibly tough and under seasoned. If you're going to spend that much on a meal at WDW, there are better places to do it.

Jiko is a signature restaurant and although we have never been there, I hope to try it on our next trip.

DisneyDebRob

The Service.

The Food.

All of it.
The real question is Jiko or Sanaa. 😀
In my opinion, they are 2 of the best restaurants on property and Ohana doesn’t make the top 25. Both at AK and you won’t go wrong with either. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom