Jiko or California Grill

lostpro9het

Last time at Cali Grill for dinner was 4 or 5 years ago. It was good but not as great as it used to be. We’ve never been to Jiko but heard it recently changed chefs and has declined because of it. Any thoughts?
The irony is Jiko's chef recently went to CG and now CG, IMO, is not as good. Jiko, however, is still as good as ever IMO! I still rate Jiko over CG any day of the week for food. Service at both establishments are very good to outstanding.

larandtra

Yes, the former Head Chef from Jiko is now the head chef at CG. Im going to try CG on a trip coming up soon, but, I can say that Jiko has declined since he left. Im nto giving up hope on Jiko, but, I certainly dont have it in my top 5 any longer.

durangojim

Original Poster
Jiko. California Grill used to be a family favorite but the food has declined and the server on our last visit was so atrocious that after settling our bill, we went straight to the manager. And I've never done that anywhere in my life. Suffice it to say, see ya around, California Grill.
Interesting. From what I’ve heard and read, the chef from Jiko has recently move to CG and now Jiko is on the decline

palminnie

We recently dined at California Grill (May 7) and had a fantastic meal. The last time we were there was shortly after the refurb and we didn't have a good experience. I'm glad we gave it another chance because it was the best meal we had on property this trip. Artist Point was great too.

ThanksPhoenicians

California Grill is awesome, I've never had a bad time there. That being said, if I didn't have the DDP, the value might be questionable. The bill can get pretty high.

Sans Souci

I went to Jiko a few weeks ago and ordered the filet (med. rare). I couldn't cut it with my knife, so I asked for another one. It was still tough to cut with a new knife. Even my friend dining with me thought it was tough. I had the halibut back in December and it was excellent. I would go back to Jiko, I just wouldn't order the filet again.

I also went to California Grill during the same trip and loved it. I had the tuna with rice noodles and pickled vegetables. It was absolutely delicious.

tom1970

We went to Jiko third week of April 2018. There was a decline in both food and service. Example: the filet served with the mac and cheese still has the mac and cheese, but it was on the side vs. under the filet and there was no red wine reduction. There was an additional brussell sprouts side that was horrible. We actually told the server to let the chef know they were bad (and I readily eat brussell sprouts at home... these were just bad). For a 5:50 pm seating, we were still waiting at 8:10 pm to get a dessert menu.... horribly slow and disappointing service. Questioning whether we will give Jiko a couple year break before returning.

Sunset7132

We went to Jiko third week of April 2018. There was a decline in both food and service. Example: the filet served with the mac and cheese still has the mac and cheese, but it was on the side vs. under the filet and there was no red wine reduction. There was an additional brussell sprouts side that was horrible. We actually told the server to let the chef know they were bad (and I readily eat brussell sprouts at home... these were just bad). For a 5:50 pm seating, we were still waiting at 8:10 pm to get a dessert menu.... horribly slow and disappointing service. Questioning whether we will give Jiko a couple year break before returning.
Not happy to hear this

Tobes58

We have been to Jiko's twice in the past 5 years, visit California Grill every time we are down. Not just the food and great service, the view is just amazing. Love to go up and just hang at the bar or in small tables in the lounge area. Don't get me wrong the food and service when we went to Jiko was fine but if it is a toss up between the two, we have to pick California Grill.
20160225_211000.jpg

Ouray

I went to Jiko a few weeks ago and ordered the filet (med. rare). I couldn't cut it with my knife, so I asked for another one. It was still tough to cut with a new knife. Even my friend dining with me thought it was tough. I had the halibut back in December and it was excellent. I would go back to Jiko, I just wouldn't order the filet again.

I also went to California Grill during the same trip and loved it. I had the tuna with rice noodles and pickled vegetables. It was absolutely delicious.

A few years ago, Jiko switched to non-serrated steak knives. While this certainly is more elegant, a restaurant that goes this route must have a program in place dedicated to keeping them razor sharp, which I can't imagine Jiko has. Considering that a knife edge to a ceramic plate is knife abuse, it's no wonder you had problems cutting your filet. Not saying that the filet shouldn't have been more tender as well, but this has been a drawback every time I've gotten a steak there since they switched to the non-serrated knives.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom