JetBlue won't let me buy a seat for baby

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Has anyone run into this before, and if so, how did you deal with it?

When flying with a child under 2, most airlines let you choose to either fly with the child as a "lap infant" for free, or to buy a ticket and give the kid his or her own seat (usually with a car seat installed). When I booked flights with JetBlue, they wouldn't let me buy a ticket for my son and seem to be requiring me to take him as a lap infant. The drop-down for passenger birth date doesn't go any more recent than 2019. I'm thinking about calling to add him over the phone, but I don't want to sit on hold for two hours if this is just a policy of theirs that they won't be able to change.

celluloid

Maybe just buy the seat and say he's two? Not like his ID will be checked they only check birth certificate if you are trying to fly him free
There is a good work around. Smart thinking.

It is probably a lame cost saving measure. Some counter figured they can sell more seats if there are lap seats. You fly with the baby in the lap opens up a seat which makes it more likely for a two seat sale rather than a couple looking at another flight. Pure guess but I am not sure why there would be an issue paying for an infant seat other than that or a random glitch.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think it had something to do with my ratio of children to adults. When I tried to do a single adult with an under-two child, it would have let me buy a seat for the child. But when I tried to do two adults, two children over 2, and one child under 2, it forced the under 2 into a lap infant slot.

I called them and they "solved" it by selling me an "extra seat." So technically I have 6 tickets. Mom, Dad, Kid 1, Kid 2, Lap Child, Extra Seat.

I'm not going to earn miles on the extra seat so I need to decide if it's worth making further stink.

RememberWhen

I think it had something to do with my ratio of children to adults. When I tried to do a single adult with an under-two child, it would have let me buy a seat for the child. But when I tried to do two adults, two children over 2, and one child under 2, it forced the under 2 into a lap infant slot.

I called them and they "solved" it by selling me an "extra seat." So technically I have 6 tickets. Mom, Dad, Kid 1, Kid 2, Lap Child, Extra Seat.

I'm not going to earn miles on the extra seat so I need to decide if it's worth making further stink.
That’s nutso. I would be making a pretty big stink. We usually fly Southwest, but I like JetBlue too. And we’re also a family of 5. Two adults. Two kids. Baby in a seat. You had to buy an extra seat?! Repeating: nutso.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
That’s nutso. I would be making a pretty big stink. We usually fly Southwest, but I like JetBlue too. And we’re also a family of 5. Two adults. Two kids. Baby in a seat. You had to buy an extra seat?! Repeating: nutso.
I mean it didn't cost me any extra cash. I just paid for the 5th seat under a passenger called "EXST LASTNAME" rather than my son's name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom