News Jessica Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

SSG

Full poster
e_wo6nxxsaqjsb-jpeg.587210

There have been some unsavory events in ToonTown. Wouldn't have happened if Trench Coat Jessica was around.

Toon Fight.jpg

Anjin

Car Toon Spin is quite long in the tooth now. I love the movie and enjoy the ride, so I'm glad to see it finally getting an update. And if focusing the story on Jessica means she's in the ride more, I'll take that as a good thing. 😉

Dear Prudence

I really do think they’ll do something. I can’t imagine it’ll stand as is for much long.

How would you like the attraction to be handled, I’ve been curious what the best option is.
Honestly, Shanghai just doesn't have them and I don't think ever did and it shows it can be done without it. There's no need to do anything else to the attraction, other than to just take them out. There's Tiger Lilly in the water in front of Skull Rock (which would look cool even without her) and the little figures of the "village." Take "Following the Leader" (which contains slurs in it) from the queue music loop. They could place the Redface caricatures with some of the animals that inhabit the island. Boom, fixed!

Robbiem

This is such a stupid move. Roger Rabbit is a fantastic movie which works on so many levels. As well as being a great family movie it also works as a good film noir style private eye movie. As others have said Jessica is a really rounded and well developed character who actually is a great example of feminism

Maybe its the people who have a problem with how she looks rather than looking at how she acts and her character who have ‘issues’? If there is one thing Disney movies should teach us its that we should look at the person inside and be ourselves. If you judge Jessica by her looks what does that say about your comitment to diversity?

TP2000

It’s also important to remember that Small World was a last minute addition to the World’s Fair, and was on an accelerated timeline. I have no doubt that, given his obsession with detail and accuracy, he would have tried to do something like that if they had several years instead of 11 months.

True, Pepsi-Cola called them at the last second, and only because the Pepsi board of directors got bad intel that Coca-Cola was doing something really big for the World's Fair. (Coke actually only built a little sandwich garden with a carillon playing music, and Pepsi became the star of the show.)

But let's not forget that Walt knew from the start he'd bring that ride back to Disneyland. And he had three years to plan for it, and built a giant show building that expanded the World's Fair version by 30% (there was no South Seas room at the Fair, a smaller grand finale' room, and much shorter intros and outros). Walt added a big promenade and a glittering facade to Small World before it opened in May, 1966. Then Walt's hand picked team built a near-clone of it five years later for Florida.

If Walt had wanted to bring in African cultural academics to help design the African costumes for Small World, he certainly could have.

That said, WDI by the mid 1960's had an impressive research library of their own and access to some of the finest research libraries in the country in Southern California (UCLA, USC, LA Central Library etc.) and it always has appeared to me that the costumes and designs all of the dolls are wearing are accurate. With the sole exception of about 3 tons of glitter and a whole lot of ostrich feathers added on top. 😁

Last edited:

The Aracuan Bird

True, Pepsi-Cola called them at the last second, and only because the Pepsi board of directors got bad intel that Coca-Cola was doing something really big for the World's Fair. (Coke actually only built a little sandwich garden with a carillon playing music, and Pepsi became the star of the show.)

But let's not forget that Walt knew from the start he'd bring that ride back to Disneyland. And he had three years to plan for it, and built a giant show building that expanded the World's Fair version by 30% (there was no South Seas room at the Fair, a smaller grand finale' room, and much shorter intros and outros). Walt added a big promenade and a glittering facade to Small World before it opened in May, 1966. Then Walt's hand picked team built a near-clone of it five years later for Florida.

If Walt had wanted to bring in African cultural academics to help design the African costumes for Small World, he certainly could have.

That said, WDI by the mid 1960's had an impressive library of their own and access to some of the finest resource libraries in the country in Southern California (UCLA, USC, LA Central Library etc.) and it always has appeared to me that the costumes and designs all of the dolls are wearing are accurate. With the sole exception of about 3 tons worth of glitter and a whole lot of ostrich feathers added on top. 😁
Fair point. I don’t think it was in bad faith though. After things were done, Walt and crew focused the brunt of their attention on the next thing. At that time, it was Progress City/E.P.C.O.T.

We really don’t know what they would have done if they were given the opportunity to consult with cultural academics at the start of the process. I can’t imagine they would turn them down, but that’s only my take on it, not the definitive answer.

TP2000

Fair point. I don’t think it was in bad faith though. After things were done, Walt and crew focused the brunt of their attention on the next thing. At that time, it was Progress City/E.P.C.O.T.

We really don’t know what they would have done if they were given the opportunity to consult with cultural academics at the start of the process. I can’t imagine they would turn them down, but that’s only my take on it, not the definitive answer.

All true, I agree. And if they were to attempt such a ride today, you know the Disney Parks Blog would hit us over the head continually with how respectful they were and how they brought in leading academics from every corner of the globe to provide "guidance".

And we'd be bombarded with PR puff pieces about how Joe Rohde and a hipster team of Imagineers spent six months traveling the globe for "research", at least visiting all of the countries that have a Ritz-Carlton. :rolleyes:

But looking at the artistic design of Small World, even in its 21st century remake in Hong Kong, I don't know how much more realistic you can get with any of those costumes. As a Swede, I can tell you we don't actually all wear decorative ski sweaters like that. They itch.

Small World is never going to be an actual academic presentation on traditional clothing and cultures. If it were, instead of twirling Swedes wearing cutesy ski sweaters you'd get this...

5245069_orig.jpg

Anyone care to hear them sing a traditional Swedish folk song about death cleaning? Cause I wouldn't. :oops:

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

How much you all wanna bet the bug guns haven't even seen this movie and / or probably didn't even know WFRR was a Disney made movie.
I still can't believe they made a ride about that film, to be honest. Like I love both, but who green lit this????

Also, the Disney movie is way better than both of the books it was inspired by.

TP2000

How much you all wanna bet the bug guns haven't even seen this movie and / or probably didn't even know WFRR was a Disney made movie.

I'll bet a round of churros for everyone in this thread that the HR Committee members in Burbank hadn't even been on this ride before. They only learned about it via a PowerPoint sent over from Glendale that showed a few photos of Jessica tied up in rope, and immediately thought "This needs to be one of our first projects! This is horrible! Think of the children, or at least the college students!" :eek:

The HR hacks assigned to this project had no idea this was even a ride, and had no idea how to get to its entrance if they weren't allowed to download the Disneyland App beforehand. I'd bet a hundred churros on that.

TP2000

I had a Canadian side of the family growing up. Think of the insult to the Canadians, about the best neighbor any country could ask for.

America hosted a lavish World's Fair, and Walt Disney built a boat ride about the whole world singing together, and all Canada got was one single plywood mountie flapping his arms under a thunderbird. And the glitter on his breeches isn't helping the situation.

6a00d83451ef2569e2015390a91cba970b-600wi

The Aracuan Bird

I had a Canadian side of the family growing up. Think of the insult to the Canadians, about the best neighbor any country could ask for.

America hosted a lavish World's Fair, and Walt Disney built a boat ride about the whole world singing together, and all Canada got was one single plywood mountie flapping his arms under a thunderbird. And the glitter on his breeches isn't helping the situation.

I’m Canadian. At least Disneyland has something, there’s nothing in Florida! But that doesn’t stop Small World from being one of my favourites

Rich T

I’ve always loved that animated statue. Mounties rock. I think most Canadians have a sense of humor about the overused symbols of their country. Did you see the wonderfully insane closing ceremony of the Calgary Winter Olympics? It was an arena full of giant Maple Leaves, Moose, Hockey Players and Mounties whirling around in kaleidoscopic, firework-spewing displays of good-humored fun.
56669CB4-3725-4D07-BE30-3C03183F8FBB.jpeg

613BD180-7B6C-4E63-9B8C-826ADB343F71.jpeg
1F70DCC7-269F-4AB3-9E27-24837D62C199.jpeg
BFB0F441-9B55-4EF1-B9FB-C69C8AFFA9D8.jpeg

And, when you cross the border from Canada to the U.S., you know darn well what images are gonna be on 99% of the merch at the border shop. 😃 (I bought the Mountie Tea Tin).
ADAE5923-7FF6-412E-BD9B-616971298E9D.jpeg

BasiltheBatLord

Iger tried to prevent crap like this. He's a California liberal, but he's not a progressive culture warrior. Iger's mentality was along the lines of Michael Jordan's "Republicans buy sneakers too." He consciously kept the woke stuff in check. Now that he's gone, nobody with any spine is left to stand up to the HR types.
Funnily enough, some of the rumors on here were that Iger spearheaded getting rid of Splash Mountain because he was concerned it could be an issue in a future presidential campaign.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom