Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

lazyboy97o

Isn't it clear here that the issue was that Jessica was tied up and thrown in the trunk of a car? This was admitted to be problematic by the designers especially when viewed out of context. Also her pose here seems to conjure the image of the scene in the movie where a cab crashes and for a few frames it was rumored that she was animated with a peek up her skirt showing she didn't have on underwear.

I'm sure she will 🔥slay🔥 this detective look.

Count your blessings. Roger Rabbit could easily be removed from the park altogether. At the announcement of MMRR I figured it would replace Cartoon Spin. Updating the ride should be the much better alternative to fans.
If it was just about the one scene there would be no need to change the storyline or Jessica’s attire.

And this idea that people should be happy with whatever because it could be worse is just dumb. Would you count your blessings if I decide to punch you in the gut when I could have hit you on the head with a pipe?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Count your blessings. Roger Rabbit could easily be removed from the park altogether.
Are we sure Roger isn’t being removed?

It’s one thing to have a Jessica Rabbit spin off (no pun intended) but if they neuter the purpose her character altogether, remove Roger, and various edgy parts of the story they may be better off not retaining the attraction.

That said, I’ve been wrong before and if this is a select few scenes that are well executed/updated perhaps with a bit of projection mapping thrown in it could work well.

If they do cut Roger out in an ideal world where Six Flags didn’t have the right to WB, even a Bugs Bunny or Porky Pig cameo (where maybe a bunch of characters get rescued by PI Jessica in the end) would truly be an unexpected “WOW” moment in the spirit of the film universe but I know I’m dreaming there.

Dear Prudence

Also, Jessica threw Roger in a trunk of a car in the movie to protect him (even though it didn't work, hahahaha). Why not just put Roger in the car trunk instead? It makes the scene where Jessica whacks the weasels with the mallet (AFTER SHE'S SAVED HERSELF) even more entertaining. I swear to God, no one in charge at Disney or on this forum has watched these movies or even knows what's in these attractions. (And yet we still have Redfacd in Peter Pan and the Chinese stereotyped puppet in Pinocchio 😬😅👀🙃)

Sharon&Susan

Are we sure Roger isn’t being removed?

It’s one thing to have a Jessica Rabbit spin off (no pun intended) but if they neuter the purpose her character altogether, remove Roger, and various edgy parts of the story they may be better off not retaining the attraction.

That said, I’ve been wrong before and if this is a select few scenes that are well executed/updated perhaps with a bit of projection mapping thrown in it could work well.

If they do cut Roger out in an ideal world where Six Flags didn’t have the right to WB, even a Bugs Bunny or Porky Pig cameo (where maybe a bunch of characters get rescued by PI Jessica in the end) would truly be an unexpected “WOW” moment in the spirit of the film universe but I know I’m dreaming there.
There's always Droopy dog.

Actually thinking about it, it's surprising that he didn't make it into the ride considering that Disney bothered licensing him for cameos in all three theatrical Roger Rabbit shorts. It must've come up at some point in development.

SuddenStorm

So, do we know if they're gonna close Roger Rabbit to overhaul the ride? Or is the new storyline so subtle that they're going to just keep doing overnight changes?

And is there any precedent to redoing a ride's story/scenes a bit at a time overnight keeping the ride in operation?

mickEblu

Original Poster
So, do we know if they're gonna close Roger Rabbit to overhaul the ride? Or is the new storyline so subtle that they're going to just keep doing overnight changes?

And is there any precedent to redoing a ride's story/scenes a bit at a time overnight keeping the ride in operation?

Good question. I can’t think of any precedent for a dark ride at DL. I know they were doing that with the Jungle Cruise at WDW recently. I guess it would be a good sign if they could do this without closing the ride. Although I guess it isn’t very hard to plug some new audio in there over night. Or a new Marquee.

Half Joking in regards to the marquee but it makes you wonder if Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin even makes sense as a name anymore.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

With how little hurrah Disney is giving for this "reimagining" compared to the likes of both the JC and Splash Mountain ones, right now I'm assuming they're going to give this the minimum amount of effort needed (Hastily made sign for the queue✔️ New Jessica figure placed somewhere in the ride ✔️ and a wardrobe change for the existing Jessica ✔️.

Again I'd love to be wrong on this, but it's just worrying that all we have now over 48 hours after the announcement in the OC Register that there's the Disney Parks Blog or any of their social media channels aren't hyping this up like they do with pretty much every other project.

el_super

That isn't relevant, it's the characters, not the movie plot.

OK... but @egg was responding specifically to you when you said:

Ugh so now its an original story that has nothing to do with the movie's plot?

I'd love to hear though what character qualities you think Jessica has that are not directly tied to the plot of the single movie she was in.

Or specifically how "being kidnapped" is a core characteristic trait of Jessica Rabbit worth saving.

Dear Prudence

Like I said before, Jessica throws Roger in the trunk of a car during the film to keep him out of trouble. Putting Roger in the trunk instead is literally canonical and solves everything. Remember, they can only escape when they're funny, so adding in a couple extra gags? Chef's kiss.

No Name

How so? Changing a character to something different than the movie? What ride does this?

I really don't know any other example of this. This is a Disney Channel TV Show as a ride at this point.
I wasn’t responding to anything about character. You said “Ugh so now its an original story that has nothing to do with the movie's plot?” The story of most attractions are barely related to the movie’s plot because that’s unimaginative and uninteresting. The Little Mermaid ride, for example, has no original story, offers little new perspective, and doesn’t even tell the movie’s story well. I like the ride more than most people, but Little Mermaid rides aren’t the lifeblood of theme parks for a good reason.

But to your point about character, it’s possible they’re making a poor choice. Honestly I’ve never watched the movie and know little about it so I can’t have an opinion there.

Oh also I hate your jab at Disney Channel shows.

The Aracuan Bird

All this is more convoluted than the original ride.
I think that’s really all this boils down to. If she was relegated to a damsel for the entire ride, I’d understand. But it’s just used as a way to introduce her into the plot. She’s “kidnapped” in one scene. The next scene she’s in, she’s knocking them over the head with a mallet.

There are other ways to incorporate her into the plot than “kidnapping”. And ideally, they can incorporate her in more than 2 or 3 scenes. But it seems like they’ve once again gone the way of creating this backstory that will over complicate a relatively simple 3 minute dark ride.

Maybe we’re wrong and it won’t. We’ll see. I think having two “organizations”, a fictional cab company and a detective agency is a bit much. Then how does Roger fit in it. Eddie Valiant made sense in the film because he was trying to prove Roger’s innocence. What is Jessica proving? That the established villains are evil?

MoonRakerSCM

This is what happens when you have pompous idiots who think they are saving the world by changing things that don't need to be changed writing storylines.

They are not or ever were focused on actually telling a good story but simply focused on changing things because they feel they need to. When you start from there the end product will always be crap.

Sailor310

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but aren't Dr Dread(?) and the weasels actually badged policemen? It makes everything even more complicated to be PC.

el_super

But it seems like they’ve once again gone the way of creating this backstory that will over complicate a relatively simple 3 minute dark ride.

It won't. I think that gets lost in all the hand wringing over how this is a bad decision, with almost not real solid evidence for why. People here have gone all over the place, finally landing on an assertion in favor of book report rides and against independent character development.

But at the end of the day most people just want to ride a dark ride that spins. Roger Rabbit could be removed entirely from the ride and it wouldn't make much difference.

The Aracuan Bird

It won't. I think that gets lost in all the hand wringing over how this is a bad decision, with almost not real solid evidence for why. People here have gone all over the place, finally landing on an assertion in favor of book report rides and against independent character development.

But at the end of the day most people just want to ride a dark ride that spins. Roger Rabbit could be removed entirely from the ride and it wouldn't make much difference.
I’m going off of the poster board that’s going in the queue, and their recent track record of over complicated unnecessary backstories and “B plots”. It reads like Armchair stuff brought into reality.

I do find it weird that people want a book report ride. Car Toon Spin is very much like Mr Toad. The plots don’t mirror the films. They are simple, recapture the feeling of the source material, and that’s what’s important. So long as that is retained, it’s fine.

I do think the theme is of importance. Some may only care about the spinning. Maybe that’s why you care or don’t care. Others like it because it’s Roger Rabbit. It was a hit when it came out, and it has become a cult classic, much like Nightmare Before Christmas. Some like it because it’s a ride through a cartoon world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom