Jedi Training Academy to close to reopen later this year as 'Jedi Training - Trials of the Temple'

I feel that by the time the new land opens, Jedi Training or some new interactive show like it will have a new home that will fully intigrate with the theme and story of the land. For that matter, I would not be surprised to see Star Tours go down once again for a full exterior and interior retheme to make it fit as well. Probably completely new ride films too, taking in the full breadth of the expanding Star Wars universe, but also being more mindful of the period the land is set within. George Lucas may have said "Who cares?", but I think the Lucasfilm Story Group take a very different view.

captainmoch

I think turning Jedi Training Academy into a more "Enchanted Stories with Belle"-type experience, with some impressive technology/show-elements a chance for every kid to do it, would be a great idea for Star Wars Land. I'm sure they could integrate it as some sort of remote Jedi temple location on the new planet.

yellowb

Wow, as someone who has seen Jedi Training Academy many times with my kids as participants, the new show, at least today, was awful. It seemed like that they had very little on the set rehearsals and that they were not sure of what was happening at times. The script just didn't seem to connect as it once did. The old show had a nice touch of humor, and I just didn't feel that happening. Using the already ignited light saber also took a few laughs out of it as well. I hope it comes together the more they do it.

Bolt

Wow, as someone who has seen Jedi Training Academy many times with my kids as participants, the new show, at least today, was awful. It seemed like that they had very little on the set rehearsals and that they were not sure of what was happening at times. The script just didn't seem to connect as it once did. The old show had a nice touch of humor, and I just didn't feel that happening. Using the already ignited light saber also took a few laughs out of it as well. I hope it comes together the more they do it.
Yeah - I think it was a lot of first day nerves. They also looked to be rotating a lot of cast today.

Incomudro

It's a rather long winded story line, and I'm sure it was a heckuva lot to rehearse and remember.
Probably more so, when it's been done the other way for so long.
I'd imagine the story may get streamlined over time.

Phroobar

The Darth Maul fight could have been a lot better. I'm sure it will improve as they get their saber skills down.

I'll get some pictures of Disneyland's version when it opens next week.

mm52200

One website posted another video of a different performance of the show today and there was a lot of improvement over the video that WDWMAGIC posted. Sometimes it's not entirely fair to the cast and crew of these shows that most websites and blogs only bother to document opening day when flaws are usually being worked out.

I do appreciate that there is more of a plot and more of a show/more to enjoy for those who might not have a kid actually in the show. The other version seemed like it was geared more towards the parents of the kids in the show, not really just anyone watching. The new show has a little more to it which is nice, more villains, a stronger story, things like that which I think add to the experience.

TyrantBoss

Not impressive in the least, perhaps that is because it is new and they are still working the bugs out?
It's not Disney's fault though. They are doing just fine. It has to be something else because Disney is flawless.

VJ

I always thought the Jedi masters should have been able to fight on their own in the show, glad to see they implemented it in the refreshing twist towards the end. Nice, strong story, much of an improvement over the old show although it did start off pretty slow to be honest. I like it overall.

JAtheFourth

You know, it's not like in real life things are put out of place and it looks incongruous. Like the neighborhood where the Alamo is!

Hey I remember there :p

All kidding aside, it's still a better place to have the fight that where it is in DL, which is a overgrown planter in the middle of the food court :)

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Feb. 11. The guest viewing area around the Jedi Training stage has been undergoing some changes. Still a work in progress, here are some photos. The circular pattern area immediately in front of the stage is being enhanced with additional pavement features, temporarily roped off as the pavement color was recently applied.

In the below view, the stage is on the left, looking out into the guest viewing area.

IMG_7347.JPG

A closer view of the new tinted pavement. The shape and border of the planter area in the background was changed, yet to have vegetation installed.

IMG_7348.JPG

The original planter and large tree that was at the corner of the show control building (on the left) is gone, replaced with this railing.

IMG_7349.JPG

A bonus photo. At the entrance to Star Tours today, several Disney network teen stars were shooting a commercial/promo (this wasn't all of them). I'll let you figure out who they are. How long will it take the forum members to "discover" this bonus photo?

IMG_7346.JPG

NearTheEars

This may be in here already, or just a total rumor, but while waiting outside of Star Tours today, a couple of cast members were talking about the training academy and mentioned that Kylo Ren would be debuting in the show tomorrow (Feb. 21). Thought I'd pass it along.

YodaMan

This may be in here already, or just a total rumor, but while waiting outside of Star Tours today, a couple of cast members were talking about the training academy and mentioned that Kylo Ren would be debuting in the show tomorrow (Feb. 21). Thought I'd pass it along.

Not a rumor. Nor do I think it was formally reported yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom