January packing suggestions and past coolish weather expierence

Kristamouse

22 more sleeps!! Once the kids head back to school on Monday I am going to start the packing process. I have read up on the January average Temps and checked the 30 day forecast. But I am still a bit perplexed...our past 10+ trips have been in warm weather.
We are a family of 8, will have access to a washing machine and are driving. I don't mind packing long sleeves/pants and shorts/short sleeves but that is a lot of clothing times 8 people. Right now the temps are about 65 each day. Can anyone give me an example of what your wore in thoose temps that was comfortable for the park? I'm also a bit concerned with rain...our usual crocs and ponchos might not work and freeze our feet!
Any input is appreciated, thank you:)

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

You know, it's funny – we go almost every year in the middle of January – and I am also sitting here trying to remember if I was freezing or not LOL.

I believe I usually do layers – A T-shirt under a long sleeve shirt with an optional hooded sweatshirt. I can leave the sweatshirt in the car most of the day and then grab it for the evening – will usually take a break in the afternoon anyway.

There can be a significant temperature difference between day and night, especially if it is sunny. Like T-shirt during the day, and three layers at night.

Keep in mind this winter has been unseasonably warm so far. But it only takes one dip from up north to arrive during your trip and that's that.

Upvote 0

belledream

Was at Universal in January 2015 for my first FL "winter" trip in a looong time and was surprised at how cold it was! Managed shorts and a long sleeve tee on the first day, but was confined to my only pants and sweatshirt for the rest of the days! Layering is a good idea. Also now that I think about it, it didn't rain for the 4 days we were there either.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
65 degrees and sunny is quite different in temperature "feel" than 65 degrees and cloudy/overcast (which most January days are.) And it usually takes a while to hit that 65...mornings can start out in the 50s. Would your children be comfortable in shorts and t-shirts in your home heated to only 65 degrees?

We visited at the end of January last year and were comfortable in jeans and long sleeves with a sweatshirt or jacket at night or early mornings. Layering is great. Though the high was in the low 60s one day, the constant breeze was cold and unexpected. Those who dressed in shorts "because it's always warm in Florida" were complaining.

On the upside, there was no rain. But you can still wear ponchos over long sleeves...though sneakers might be preferable over Crocs if it is a cold rain. The only time our sneakers have been saturated is during those pop-up summer showers where it rains hard for a brief period and causes temporary flooding. Never have had an issue with wet feet during an all-day rain.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It also depends on what you're acclimatized to yourselves. Being from Canada, it can get a lot colder before we are feeling cold. It's sometimes amusing when the local CMs are all bundled up like they were in the Arctic while we're in shorts. :cool:

That said, over the next few weeks there will be lows dipping into the 30s and highs into the 70s. It can be a crapshoot trying to decide what to take. My son and I had one late January trip where we wore our winter coats all day for a few of the days we were there and shorts and short-sleeved shirts on other days.

Upvote 0

hollymc3

We will be there in 21 days! Always go the last week of Jan. We bring jeans, a few pairs of shorts t shirts sweat shirts wind breakers knit gloves, hats and bathing suits. We have had temps anywhere from 40 degrees and raining (2014) to upper 70's. We generally start the day with jeans t-shirt and hoodies. In 2014 we had rain 5 out of 7 days and it was soooo cold :-(

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

It was like this being from the Chicagoland area I was use to it...
XWvoByM.jpg

Can't wait to arrive for my 2 week trip on Jan 25th! :D

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

My husband and I used to go to WDW every January. We did pack a mix of clothes.

Some days at WDW were warm, some weren't. I can remember the first time we went to MK together, it was overcast and chilly, maybe the high for the day was around 70 at 4 pm, so most of the morning was on the cool side. We wore jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and hoodies.

Other times, it's been warmer, and I've been able to get away with a t-shirt and capris.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your upcoming trip-so exciting! Oh January...so fickle. We have been where it's 75 and sunny, also been when it's 30s and it's a good thing we wore our winter coats from home on the plane.

Watch the weather VEEEERY CLOSELY as it changes quickly. Generally speaking, we have been pretty good with sneakers, short and long sleeve shirts, jeans, and a mix of lightweight and heavier hoodies.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Thank you all, I will be busy tracking down short and bathing suites that fit and our trusty hoodies!
Will keep an eye on the Orlando and our home weather, want to avoid snow and ice while driving. I am also hoping for a snow day so we have a touch less make up work to do...;)

Upvote 0

SDisney90

Thank you all, I will be busy tracking down short and bathing suites that fit and our trusty hoodies!
Will keep an eye on the Orlando and our home weather, want to avoid snow and ice while driving. I am also hoping for a snow day so we have a touch less make up work to do...;)
Sounds like a plan, I leave in 5 days and always go in January...Weather can be very different needless to say. Passed 3 trips have been extremely cold on the first day (always January 7th) in 2014 the next 8 days were very mild and I was able to wear t-shirt and shorts during park hours. At night it was a bit chilly for some people but I am used to it being from New England. So far the forecast for my trip is looking phenomenal with some rain...better bring those trusty ponchos! have fun and enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

officialtom

We did end of January last year and are going back again in 24 days! It was plenty warm for us... shorts and t-shirt almost every day, with light sweaters or jackets in the evenings. Got a nice tan too!

That said, we will be leaving - 20C (-5F) weather so really any bit of warm sun will feel like a heat wave!

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We, too, travel to WDW in either January or February each year, Leaving in 26 days! I pack an array or shorts and tees and jeans. When daytime temps are in the 60s I find a teeshirt with a sweatshirt overtop and jeans is most comfortable. The mornings can be chilly until it warms and then at dark, it gets cold again. As for rain chances,, if its predicted 50% chance of rain or higher I take our two mini umbrellas. OH and I keep gloves in the sweatshirt pockets for those chilly nights watching fireworks.

Upvote 0

patch553

We, too, travel to WDW in either January or February each year, Leaving in 26 days! I pack an array or shorts and tees and jeans. When daytime temps are in the 60s I find a teeshirt with a sweatshirt overtop and jeans is most comfortable. The mornings can be chilly until it warms and then at dark, it gets cold again. As for rain chances,, if its predicted 50% chance of rain or higher I take our two mini umbrellas. OH and I keep gloves in the sweatshirt pockets for those chilly nights watching fireworks.
we are the same,we did visit in January 2010(when we got married there) and had the buy winter jackets and bobble hats, but usually find a hoodie is warm enough since

Upvote 0

Flyersgirl17

ooh i wasn't thinking of gloves but for the parades that's a good idea. i'll take the 70's & 60's compared to the 20 & 30's. the low on tuesday here in PA will be 17. thanks again everyone for the ideas. and good luck to all of us on our trips!!

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Also, the 39-day forecast is useless. There is no accuracy until about five days out. I stupidly watched the accuweather 45-day forecast and the day-to-day changes were laughable. I have always found WDW to be sunnier and warmer than they forecast. We are here right now and today it is pants and a jacket (about 60 with off and on rain). Two days ago it was 85 and muggy so we swam. By Thursday, they are forecasting 80 again. January is quite variable but we usually see a good deal of sun. Yesterday, for example, was forecast to be 65 and cloudy all day and ended up being quite nice--sun from noon-on and low 70s.

Upvote 0

Club34

january is my usual time to visit. its a mixed bag. there was one trip a few years back were i wore my winter jacket [a thinner one] the whole time. i'm from chicago so i am used to it but it was cooler, overcast, and a bit windy. its the wind that gets you. if you say you are driving and can wash then just be safe. layers will work out fine. and as others have said, the florida sun is always warmer, in my opinion. you see a spike in temp by around 11a if the sun is going to be out. here again, layers are going to be your friend. don't worry about extra luggage, or washes, or the need to use a locker once in awhile. you're home. enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom