January Opinions

DisneyDreamer08

So let me start out by saying I am probably overthinking this. But it’s the little details like this that drive me crazy :p
Our next trip is January 2020, taking advantage of MLK weekend. My daughter has off Friday the 17 and Monday the 20th from school. Our initial plan was to go Friday the 17th until Saturday the 25th. And yes we know MLK will be busy but this is what works best right now for us. But today I was thinking we could actually go the week prior. Leave on Saturday the 11th and stay til Sunday the 19th. My daughter would still only miss 4 days of school but my husband and I wouldn’t need to take off as many work days. But I’m pretty sure the weekend of the 11th is the marathon. Do those crowds effect the park? Is it better to have the busy MLK weekend at the start or end of the trip?

If you’ve been around this time, I’d love to hear your thoughts on crowds and weather. My husband and I actually went this exact time back in 2008, pre kids. We lucked out and had great weather. 60’s and 70’s, only one “cold” day in the 50’s. But obviously the crowds were much different back then.

Thanks for any help!

mouse_luv

So let me start out by saying I am probably overthinking this. But it’s the little details like this that drive me crazy :p
Our next trip is January 2020, taking advantage of MLK weekend. My daughter has off Friday the 17 and Monday the 20th from school. Our initial plan was to go Friday the 17th until Saturday the 25th. And yes we know MLK will be busy but this is what works best right now for us. But today I was thinking we could actually go the week prior. Leave on Saturday the 11th and stay til Sunday the 19th. My daughter would still only miss 4 days of school but my husband and I wouldn’t need to take off as many work days. But I’m pretty sure the weekend of the 11th is the marathon. Do those crowds effect the park? Is it better to have the busy MLK weekend at the start or end of the trip?

If you’ve been around this time, I’d love to hear your thoughts on crowds and weather. My husband and I actually went this exact time back in 2008, pre kids. We lucked out and had great weather. 60’s and 70’s, only one “cold” day in the 50’s. But obviously the crowds were much different back then.

Thanks for any help!

We personally love January. If you can tolerate marathon goer crowds and then leading up to MLK week crowds then go.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

A lot of marathoners come in for the event and leave when its over. Many others come to do the marathon and have family time at WDW bringing their families and staying for a few days up to a week. You could say parks do get somewhat busier from the added families but they are more crowded now and will be more so in 2020 than ever anyway. If it were my choice, I'd go the earlier dates and not have to miss the work days and pay.

Upvote 0

SaltyD

Are you flying? If you are, maybe the cost of the flights may help make up your mind.
Crowds will always be a factor - even if it's not the marathon crowds, you will be dealing with Galaxy Edge crowds over a holiday weekend. As long as you know you're going into crowds, you're mentally prepared to deal with them :)

As for weather, that's so unpredictable at any time of year! I've been to Disney in April and it was in the 50's - stores sold out of sweatshirts! And I've been in December and it was 90 degrees.

If I was you, and there was no difference in travel costs, I'd go with the least missed days for work/school. Good luck with your decision! Either way it will be right one - your end result is going to Disney!

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Are you flying? If you are, maybe the cost of the flights may help make up your mind.
Crowds will always be a factor - even if it's not the marathon crowds, you will be dealing with Galaxy Edge crowds over a holiday weekend. As long as you know you're going into crowds, you're mentally prepared to deal with them :)

As for weather, that's so unpredictable at any time of year! I've been to Disney in April and it was in the 50's - stores sold out of sweatshirts! And I've been in December and it was 90 degrees.

If I was you, and there was no difference in travel costs, I'd go with the least missed days for work/school. Good luck with your decision! Either way it will be right one - your end result is going to Disney!

We are flying so that’s definitely a good suggestion.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its just ok, nothing spectacular in terms of light crowds (Fed Holiday and all), we're just there that weekend for the Shriner's East-West Game.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom