January 13-22cnd trip report

This trip was a little different because we added the Disney Cruise for 4 days instead of the full time at WDW.
We again stayed AKL Concierge and again the staff was awesome, especially since it was my son's 8th Birthday.

I won't go into the day by day thing, but just some of the things we noticed or that happened.

Sat, Sun and Monday were the long weekend for MLK day so the parks were fairly busy.

Sunday we were up at 6:30 AM for the sunrise safari. We have done this before, but this time not so many animals. Probably a little cold. However the breakfast was awesome. While there Rosalyn at EE wrote happy birthday to my son in Thai. Very cool and just one of the many special things the CMs did. We left after the parade around 4pm to hit MK and the extra magic hour.

We ended up leaving MK at about 11:30 pm, very long day. I will say that riding Splash Mountain in the dark was different, most notably the drop.

For Monday, my son's Birthday we did MGM because he loves Star tours. While walking up the street a guest services CM wished him happy b-day and started talking to us. Next thing I know she asks us to be the Grand Marshall's in the MGM Parade. This was a great experience and my son loved every second of it. Another CM spreading the pixie dust. Katie was very nice.

Chef Mickey's was dinner; not as much fun as last year. I think it had to do with being sat out by the lobby, probably more of an atmosphere thing, but all that matters is that my son had a blast.

Tuesday we did the Princess Breakfast (gotta make Mom happy). It was good. They are already doing the picture thing, you just have an option right now. We actually bought the photo because it came out really nice and included a beautiful picture of the the castle. The funny part was that our server was filling out the "Magical moment" certificate for my son's b-day and got distracted. he wrote "Princess Keith" instead of "Prince>" I caught it in time and he got us a new one, but boy did I have fun teasing the 8 year old the rest of the day!
Keith was also picked to pull the sword out of the stone and was temporary ruler of the realm for about a minute. That is a really nice show and Merlin is hilarious.

Wednesday was our lunch with an Imagineer. Very interesting conversation. It was a small group so we had a lot of interaction. He was very coy about my questions, but several times he got this silly grin and would say, "sorry, can't comment on that" but look at us as if to say, yep you are on the right track.

The cruise was OK. Honestly it is more of a 2.5 day cruise. You don't get on the boat (if you use the DCL Transport.) until around 3 the first day and have to be off the boat by 9 am the last day.

Keith had a blast in the Oceaneer's Lab. The staff was amazing. He also received a magical moments certificate under out door on Saturday morning naming him "Best Dressed Pirate." Also DJ Chris was recruiting him to help Mickey repel Hook. When Mickey had it under control DJ Chris told Keith to find him on the Island for a reward for being willing to help. Keith tracked him down and got a medallion that said winner and a nice DCL cruise cup that said winner. Once again more CMs doing an amazing job.

I got into the hang of the cruise around Friday night. The wife didn't like it so much. She didn't get seasick, but never quite got comfortable with he boat rocking. I would like to do a longer DCL, but it does not look like the wife would agree, besides, we wouldn't do it unless all of us would have a good time.

The restaurants were cool and the food very good. I think the best part of the cruise was the shows. The entertainment cast is hugely talented and I loved all 3 shows.

Well, I think that is enough. I'll be writing individual letters to Disney for each of the wonderful cast members that put a huge smile on our faces while we were there.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Iakona said:
Wednesday was our lunch with an Imagineer......... He was very coy about my questions, but several times he got this silly grin and would say, "sorry, can't comment on that" but look at us as if to say, yep you are on the right track.
So what did you ask ????

Nice report BTW - thanks

Iakona

Original Poster
From his hints this is what we got:

Monsters Inc is coming (looks like MGM)

Indiana Jones (stunt show) is staying because it is so popular

There is something very cool planned for the 20,000 leagues site, got NO details, just that annoyingly suggestive tidbit.

We talked a lot about photopass and some of the enhancements that are planned.

Told us that in prior to Pal Mickey there was a baby Simba Version that went around your wrist. An interesting scene was when a bunch of execs in suits were walking around Ak with this and every time he buzzed they would all raise their wrists to their ears.
He used to sit next to the Imagineer who developed Pal Mickey and had some funny stories about that. Especially how annoying the laugh became after hearing it so many times.

He had ridden Everest a couple of times and really liked it. Most of what he said is now on the boards.

Ak should be getting something else, no details.

Jack Sparrow is coming to POTC. I lobbied him for Kiera too!!!

Space Mountain, no dates but a rehab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom