Trip Report *COMPLETED* I've climbed the mountain, I've crossed the river, and I'm almost there!

Introduction

We've only been back from Japan since Saturday night but I am just itching to get started on this report! We had an absolutely AMAZING trip and I'm not ready to let it go, and writing my TR is one way for me to delay the inevitable return back to "the real world." :) This was the longest vacation I've ever taken, and like any long trip-or any new experience, for that matter-there were ups and downs, good moments and not-so-good moments. There were mistakes, mishaps, mountains, and monkeys. Yes, monkeys! There were surprises and there was DRAMMA!* There were things we will do differently next time we visit Japan, and believe me, we knew less than halfway through the trip that there WILL be a next time someday!

In case you missed the PTR, here it is: Bee's Big Birthday! There you can read about the cast, the general plans, and the reasons for planning this particular trip.

Now about the title: It's a reference to this song from The Princess and the Frog:

I have been kind of obsessed with this song lately and I found myself singing it in my head repeatedly during the trip. You'll see why soon!

So, if you're ready for a journey halfway around the world, thousands of photos, and Double Disney bookends, keep reading!

EDIT: The Tokyo Disney stuff starts here.

*I've mentioned it in previous TRs, but I like to spell "dramma" the Italian way because I'm an opera singer and what's more DRAMMAtic than Italian opera?? So please don't think I'm an idiot (for that reason anyway :hilarious:)!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 18, cont.

The Mickey buses drop off on the first floor (below lobby level). We went inside and took the elevator up to the fourth floor. We also stopped to get a 7Up from the vending machine to have with some of our leftover Jim Beam. :)

tumblr_plbuvgYbkS1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Not our room, fortunately!

Upon a closer examination of the drink area, I discovered why the Sheraton was the perfect hotel for us!

tumblr_plbuvhT68E1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbuvi0fpD1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

They even had fancy drink stirrers for our drinks!

tumblr_plbuviympG1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbuvjOeY01qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Clearly this hotel was made for us 😆

We chilled in the room for about three hours before venturing out again.

Outside, a Mickey bus was just arriving!

tumblr_plbuvkuTlg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbuvk73cY1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

On the monorail platform:

tumblr_plbuvlnB1H1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbuvmHC2U1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This time, we didn't get off at a park station, but instead got off at Resort Gateway Station to explore Ikspiari, a huge multistory mall where we hoped to find dinner.

Inside the mall:

tumblr_plbuydRsaQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We decided to try Guzman y Gomez, a Mexican chain from Australia, as we had read that they had some good veggie choices.

tumblr_plbuyfZwXZ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Veggie/bean burrito

tumblr_plbuyePSYp1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Sauces and accompaniments

tumblr_plbuyfyHuZ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This guy looked down on us as we ate

tumblr_plbuyg1eTq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Dinner was good and was a nice change from all the vegetable curries (as much as I like curry!).

We explored the mall a little and found a large Disney Store:

tumblr_plbuyjrRpt1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We also needed some more cash so we stopped at an ATM. Only, the first two ATMs we tried wouldn't read my US debit card so we had to wander to find one that would!

tumblr_plbuyjpcse1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbuyk0qes1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

All the essentials in life

There is also a large grocery store in Ikspiari and we bought some (surprise) egg salad sandwiches for breakfast the next day in the room.

And another toilet photo I probably took for my brother?

tumblr_plbuylWkn51qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: Back to Disneyland

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 18, cont.

We rode the monorail to the Disneyland stop.

tumblr_plbvedwy6Q1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbveecoQH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbveerfdB1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvefJyQs1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvefKFnO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This light display would happen every once in awhile in World Bazaar and the song "Brand New Dream" would play as a little celebration of the 35th anniversary of the resort. This was really cute!

tumblr_plbvegTXK21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We were in search of a snack to share. We gazed longingly at the Waffle Company...but the line was still INSANE.

tumblr_plbvehiAqo1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Oh good, a blurry castle photo

tumblr_plbvehKrUO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

And another

tumblr_plbveivbOe1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

A waffle cone...with beef and rice????

tumblr_plbvkmQsnl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

At last, something I can eat that DOESN'T have an enormous line!

tumblr_plbvknbeeQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We enjoyed this popcorn as well. My favorite was still the black pepper I'd had at DisneySea the day before.

Few FPs were available and most of the lines throughout the park were much longer than we were willing to wait in, so we went for something with a high capacity and a short wait:

tumblr_plbvkokhny1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

402! Just like our room number at two hotels!

tumblr_plbvkokBUx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvkpyRkq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvkpwZcd1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Oh GOOD, ANOTHER blurry castle photo :hilarious:

tumblr_plbvkqwv5n1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvkrvNQN1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

The Western River Railway is 100% ride and 0% transportation. There is only one stop and you have to get off at the end. It is more similar to the DLRR than the WDWRR.

Up next: We try for the dang waffle again

bee

Original Poster
Day 18, cont.

At this point we were cold, tired, and #done with lines and rides. We really, really, REALLY wanted a waffle from the Great American Waffle Company. Lucky for us, the line was LESS intimidating, aka NOT out the door for the first time that day.

tumblr_plbvoy4scs1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvkrZKB41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvksVjBp1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvotBA3V1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Well if it were so easy why would I BUY one here???

tumblr_plbvovGFiF1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Getting closer...
tumblr_plbvouE9WK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plbvovOkxi1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

It was so much fun to watch this guy making waffles! He was dancing as he worked, clearly having a great time!

tumblr_plbvowpMPf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

They seem to have perfected the waffle making system. He would pour the batter into one iron at a time and by the time he had poured and closed the last one, the first one would be ready so he could go through and take them all out.

tumblr_plbvoxUE5o1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Finally at the cashier!

There were no tables available inside, but by the time we got our waffle we had been thoroughly warmed from waiting on line inside.

tumblr_plbvoya4sN1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Azuki and matcha ice cream (seasonal waffle)

This was SO. GOOD. The waffle was hot and fresh and all the accompaniments added distinct yet complementary flavors and textures.

Up next: A little shopping

bee

Original Poster
Day 18, cont.

After our waffle time, we headed toward the exit.

tumblr_plbvozp0xg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We caught the Brand New Dream mini-show again.

tumblr_plbvp0qgGz1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

View of the Disneyland Hotel from the monorail platform:
tumblr_pldk6sx6Eu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

On the monorail:
tumblr_pldk6sLXhx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldk6tykpW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldk6uFgcI1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

There was a Mickey bus waiting for us again!

tumblr_pldk6vxA0E1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

#ShirleyStatus again!

tumblr_pldk6u5VP71qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Back at the Sheraton we checked out the gift shops on the second floor.

tumblr_pldk6xxzZL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldk6wpQxm1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldk6wuOkZ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

There was a cool multi-floor water feature in the lobby. I am hoping I got a better photo of it later in the trip because this doesn't really show it at all:

tumblr_pldk6xl5FB1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Here's hoping!

Back in the room we discovered the robes available for guests to wear in the room:

tumblr_pldk9bbQus1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We were totally exhausted after two consecutive very long days and decided, for the sake of our own sanity, not to try to rope drop our last morning.

Day 18 Stats
Distance: 7.1 miles
Steps: 17786
Flights: 4

Up next: Our last full day :cry:

bee

Original Poster
Day 19: Friday, January 4

We slept in a bit and enjoyed breakfast in the room.

tumblr_pldkqgH6b51qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldkqgrHYQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Various coffee accompaniments

I checked DisneySea wait times while we were still in the room.

tumblr_pldkqiG2LW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We took our time getting ready and left the room around 9:30.

tumblr_pldkqj9sQq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We walked to the monorail and soon we were on our way to DisneySea!

tumblr_pldkqknl8p1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldkql0srP1qhyy8p_400.gif

tumblr_pldkqmmj6l1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Turns out, when you're not in a rush, you can stop on the monorail platform for some stunning views of the park and the globe!

There was NO LINE for security or entry today, since we arrived so late.

Once inside the park, a CM approached me and showed me a laminated paper with the same question in about twelve languages: "Do you live in Japan?" I pointed to "No" and she asked (via multilingual paper) if I would be willing to do an online survey about my travel plans in Japan and I said yes. She gave me an envelope with survey instructions and told me (via the paper again) that as a thank you gift I could have this beautiful postcard:

tumblr_pldkqmPhwM1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I thanked her in Japanese and we continued on our way. I wish that every time I was stopped to do a survey in WDW or DL that I got an adorable postcard!!

tumblr_pldkqnKolu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldkqo3pLo1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We caught a brief moment of this parade.

On our way through the park we saw Pinocchio come out to greet guests:
tumblr_pldou389B41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

And we enjoyed seeing the beautiful tulips again!
tumblr_pldou3jriQ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: We discover a hidden world!

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

We took the path to Mermaid Lagoon and discovered that what we knew of Mermaid Lagoon (having experienced it two days prior) was only half of Mermaid Lagoon! There is a whole huge section of the land INSIDE King Triton's castle!!

tumblr_pldp25sdiB1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp282Qt41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou4l0IW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We entered at ground level and then saw that the attractions were downstairs. It was kind of like entering The Land pavilion at Epcot.

Inside we saw even more attractions:

tumblr_pldou5n85J1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou6TU0x1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou7XcIW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

There were so many details EVERYWHERE.

tumblr_pldox7oUDM1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou9BuLD1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldox8X2np1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldox8uIYm1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldox92SYa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldox9rFg61qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldoxawdrf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldoxbLqGU1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: Spinning!

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

The Whirlpool had a short wait so we got in the queue.

tumblr_pldou6ADtN1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou89tT21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldou7eFJz1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldoxbXmaJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

The Whirlpool is a Teacups type of attraction. Unfortunately our cup wouldn't spin at all! Like @ajrwdwgirl I am a fan of spinning fast so I was a little disappointed. Alas!

tumblr_pldoxceGhx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

After the ride we exited Triton's castle, for now.

tumblr_pldp2aBWBl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2bmvtt1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2cB3EW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2dE2Sw1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2d23sn1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2eBlaf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2fAZxO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldp2grfLa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

🕸

tumblr_pldp6fhlXs1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

If this were WDW all these benches would be filled!

Up next: 🎵Arabian Coooo-oooo-oooooast🎵

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

More views from Arabian Coast:

tumblr_pldpg8NPzg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

And bathroom pics for the curious:

tumblr_pldpg9nOSW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpg95XF21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpgahd1U1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpgbjGYG1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Back outside...

tumblr_pldpgcSRGP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpgcX0Vo1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpgdxR2r1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpge9VBY1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We took a look inside the Agrabah Marketplace (gift shop). I had asked my brother what kind of souvenir(s) he wanted from Japan and from Disney, and what he wanted from Disney was something with a TDR-specific character. I thought about getting him something with Chandu (the tiger from Sindbad) but decided to keep looking at other stores too.

tumblr_pldpm5SrkL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm53dZE1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm6wsuc1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm75WBf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm7sZWP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm8wtZl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

BENCHES!

We were getting hungry so we found a snack kiosk in nearby Port Discovery. There was a line but it wasn't as bad as we had seen at other locations in the parks!

tumblr_pldpm92Fj11qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpm97iEo1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Potato churros! They were AMAZING! They were kind of like giant french fries, but with a fluffy texture inside.

Up next: We've made a huge mistake!

bee

Original Poster
Welp, I really had wanted to finish this report before today, because today M and I are flying to London to celebrate her 30th birthday (we couldn't go to Japan for my 30th and not go somewhere cool for hers!). No, we are not going to Disneyland Paris (although it was a brief consideration!). I'll be back next week and will try to get this wrapped up! And at some point I'll need to start a PTR for our triumphant return to our "home" Disney! ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
OMG -- you guys are traveling again?! Oh GOOD! That means another way cool, bee TR is upcoming! :joyfull:

Have a great time and happy birthday trip to M!

bee

Original Poster
Thanks for the birthday wishes @PacNWTigger, @Tuvalu, @Swissmiss, and @MinnieM123!

I don’t think I will do a real TR as this trip has nothing to do with Disney but I will post a few pics. We had a good flight (7 hours is easy compared to 12-13 to Japan!) and made it to our hotel. Our room was ready at noon (!!!) and is gorgeous! We got a great deal through Marriott rewards and we have a refurbished room with access to the executive lounge for breakfast, snacks, and drinks. 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom